Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next generation Australian keepers.

Next generation Australian keepers.

Well i would say may be by then end of 2007, Australia will no longer have the services of the great adam gilchrist & as with warne & mcgrath filling his shoes will be though. But Australia have 3 pretty talented young keepers coming through in Hartley, Ronchi & Crosthwaite with Haddin around the mix.

For the 3 youngers mainly it will be interesting & exciting to see which one of them will take over from Gilly in the long term when Gilly does hang up his boots. It seems as if Hartley has the edge presently (some claims are that he is the best glovesman in australia presently behind Gilly & his batting for QSL this season has been solid) so good signs. But for me personally when Gilchrist does retire i wouldn't mind Haddin being 1st choice for a while then one of these 3 taking over, because the idea of one of these jumping into the box seat right away seems a little iffy...

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie
    Well i would say may be by then end of 2007, Australia will no longer have the services of the great adam gilchrist & as with warne & mcgrath filling his shoes will be though. But Australia have 3 pretty talented young keepers coming through in Hartley, Ronchi & Crosthwaite with Haddin around the mix.

For the 3 youngers mainly it will be interesting & exciting to see which one of them will take over from Gilly in the long term when Gilly does hang up his boots. It seems as if Hartley has the edge presently (some claims are that he is the best glovesman in australia presently behind Gilly & his batting for QSL this season has been solid) so good signs. But for me personally when Gilchrist does retire i wouldn't mind Haddin being 1st choice for a while then one of these 3 taking over, because the idea of one of these jumping into the box seat right away seems a little iffy...
    I would have thought that a good sign as to which 'keeper the selectors will choose after Gilly retires would have been who they selected for the matches when Gilchrist was rested...ie Haddin....
    Supporting: NSW & Australia, women's cricket

Haddin won't happen. I've posted about 60 times that CA have stated the next national keeper was not to come from the current ranks (this was in 2002), which Haddin was a part of. This is why all the state teams started blooding the youngsters, and also because all their keepers were ageing aswell.

By October 2007 Haddin will be 30, why pick another older keeper when there's talented enough young Keepers coming up?
    Proud Member of the Melbourne Demons ,'97,'98,'99,'05-'13
    Supporter of Melbourne Demons FC, Aston Villa FC, and the Flyers

"This tournament is a joke. Grass is for cows, I'm never coming back." - Marat Safin

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    This is why all the state teams started blooding the youngsters, and also because all their keepers were ageing aswell.
    not really only the young keepers came in when the senior one's retired, none were actually dropped for the younger keeper.

Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    By October 2007 Haddin will be 30, why pick another older keeper when there's talented enough young Keepers coming up?
    yea but Haddin would still be pretty experienced then, so my point is that he could be 1st choice for a while until either of the three young keepers demands selection.

You should pick the best keeper in the country at the time.

International Vice-Captain Slats4ever's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    you should but australian selectors don't live by that philosophy all the time
    WCC - Manager of Warwickshire

Yeah, but then I guess they go for keeper/bats (Gilly, Campbell) over straight out keepers, who would probably be better glovesmen (Berry, Seccombe).
    CricketWeb Colts - Twybridge Titans

Quote Originally Posted by chooka_nick
    Yeah, but then I guess they go for keeper/bats (Gilly, Campbell) over straight out keepers, who would probably be better glovesmen (Berry, Seccombe).
    the keeper/batsman for sure...

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    But they haven't picked the best player in previous years sometimes due to age concerns, why would they start now?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    As a Victorian, I'd love to see Crosthwaite get the call-up to the national team. Although he's only a young'un, he seems to be doing pretty well for the Vics, though I think he needs to improve his batting.

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cameeel
    When he made his Test debut, Gilchrist was all but 29 - so why should age be the barrier if he is the best option at that time?
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    Haddin won't happen. I've posted about 60 times that CA have stated the next national keeper was not to come from the current ranks (this was in 2002), which Haddin was a part of. .
    I seriously doubt whether that's set in stone, as some kind of guarantee. More likely, it was a general comment made by the selectors at the time - all dependent on when Gilchrist's career finishes, and the quality of young replacements available.

Quote Originally Posted by howardj
    I seriously doubt whether that's set in stone, as some kind of guarantee. More likely, it was a general comment made by the selectors at the time - all dependent on when Gilchrist's career finishes, and the quality of young replacements available.
    yep & if any one of them does demand selection over haddin when Gilly does retire we will know that he will be pretty good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information