Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: English leg spinners?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer

English leg spinners?

I was chatting with a workmate today, who bought up the subject of Ashley Giles, Eddie Hemmings and the overall mediocrity of England's international spinners over the years.

Of all the spinners we thought of, Shaun Udal, Robert Croft, etc..., every single one wa a finger spinner. We couldn't name a single wrist spinner whose played for either England or the MCC in its entire history!

Can anyone out there name a single English Leg spinner or Chinaman spinner?

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Doug Wright (108 Test wickets)
    Eric Hollies (Ended Bradman's career)
    John Wardle (mixed SLA and SLC)
    Ian Salisbury (not too great)
    Chris Schofield (worse still)
    Me (even worse)
    Last edited by Neil Pickup; 28-01-2006 at 04:36 AM.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

My mum's old employer, the chain-smoking Robin Hobbs. Last leggie to take 1000 1st class wickets, as he rarely forgets to tell anyone. Didn't actually do too badly in tests, better than Salisbury and Schofield by quite some way, and I know that Mike Brearly mentions him in The Art Of Captaincy as being a bowler who could have done far more if he had been treated better by his captain at Essex, who wanted him to bowl like a SLA and be economical. He was probably the worst captain in Glamorgan's history, too.

He is also well known for hitting one of the fastest centuries in history against Australia in a tour match at Chelmsford.
    Last edited by Chubb; 28-01-2006 at 04:44 AM.
    ZIMBABWE
    Somebody has to...

Pinball Champion!
    I went to Lords for coaching with Terry Jenner and its pretty obvious the talent is there, most of our good leggies are of asian descent, bar Mark Lawson..

I dont see what the fuss is about, there is no point in looking for a leggie that might be okay, thats not good enough, may as well concentrate on the country's fast bowling strengths.. I think when Warne goes people will stop searching so much..
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    I went to Lords for coaching with Terry Jenner and its pretty obvious the talent is there, most of our good leggies are of asian descent, bar Mark Lawson..

I dont see what the fuss is about, there is no point in looking for a leggie that might be okay, thats not good enough, may as well concentrate on the country's fast bowling strengths.. I think when Warne goes people will stop searching so much..
    I think it's inevitable that when a genuine great comes along other teams try to find their own version of him. We tried to find our Warne for many years (seems incredible now to think Schofield was actually one of the first dozen central contracts) & Oz are now doing it to an extent in their search for a Freddie-clone. Watson & now Symonds are being given runs in their test team on the strength of their bowling when there are (IMHO) better batters in Oz.

WRT English leg-spinners, didn't Lord Ted bowl a few in his day too? I know some thought Athers has a bit of potential as a part-time leggie before his back went too.
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Atherton actually has 108 first-class wickets. In his autobiography he says that after his debut one of the Australians said he liked the look of his bowling but not his batting. Nasser was a very, very good schoolboy legspinner too, though he says he didn't really understand why he was so good at it, and he lost it when he started getting taller.

What's annoying is that someone who had the talent (Schofield) was an arrogant **** who never worked on his accuracy or even his game and expected stuff just to happen while someone who worked so hard at their game for years (Salisbury) just didn't posses the raw talent.

It's a right funny old game.

International Debutant a massive zebra's Avatar
    Eggs Champion!
    Bob Barber
    Bernard Bosanquet
    Len Braund
    Freddie Brown
    Douglas Carr
    Robert Cuttell
    Percy Fender
    Tich Freeman
    Tommy Greenhough
    John Hartley
    Ernie Hayes
    Young Jack Hearne
    Robin Hobbs
    Eric Hollies
    Roly Jenkins
    Father Marriott
    Walter Mead
    Tommy Mitchell
    Jack O'Connor
    Cecil Parkin
    Ian Peebles
    Walter Robins
    Ian Salisbury
    Chris Schofield
    Jim Sims
    Peter Smith
    Greville Stevens
    Bill Storer
    Charlie Townsend
    Len Wilkinson
    Doug Wright
    THE ULTIMATE CRICKET WEB ARCADE EGGS CHAMPION

RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1990-2006
    RIP Craig Walsh (AKA "Craig"), 1985-2012

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Chris Schofield > Brooke Walker.
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBrumby
    WRT English leg-spinners, didn't Lord Ted bowl a few in his day too? I know some thought Athers has a bit of potential as a part-time leggie before his back went too.
    I believe it was a genuine leg-spinning all-rounder rather than just a part-timer.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

International Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    My mum's old employer, the chain-smoking Robin Hobbs. Last leggie to take 1000 1st class wickets, as he rarely forgets to tell anyone. Didn't actually do too badly in tests, better than Salisbury and Schofield by quite some way, and I know that Mike Brearly mentions him in The Art Of Captaincy as being a bowler who could have done far more if he had been treated better by his captain at Essex, who wanted him to bowl like a SLA and be economical. He was probably the worst captain in Glamorgan's history, too.
    He is also well known for hitting one of the fastest centuries in history against Australia in a tour match at Chelmsford.
    So, he went to Glamorgan and it didn't work out. (And while undoubtedly bad, I don't think he was the worst ever).

He was still a very, very good bowler.
    MSN - tomhalsey123@hotmail.com

Manchester United FC: 20 Times

R.I.P. Sledger's Signature, 2004-2008

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Halsey
    So, he went to Glamorgan and it didn't work out. (And while undoubtedly bad, I don't think he was the worst ever).

He was still a very, very good bowler.
    You're right. Excuse the hyperbole. He was far too far past his best to succeed really. It was an odd choice from Glam and from him to accept.

Thinking of another Essex leggie, Peter Smith was serious class, and a good down-the-order batsman too.

I was just about to edit in to say Smith once scored 168* from no. 11
    Last edited by Chubb; 28-01-2006 at 09:22 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubb
    You're right. Excuse the hyperbole. He was far too far past his best to succeed really. It was an odd choice from Glam and from him to accept.

Thinking of another Essex leggie, Peter Smith was serious class, and a good down-the-order batsman too.
    An icon to number elevens everywhere.

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Autobahn
    What's annoying is that someone who had the talent (Schofield) was an arrogant **** who never worked on his accuracy or even his game and expected stuff just to happen while someone who worked so hard at their game for years (Salisbury) just didn't posses the raw talent.

It's a right funny old game.
    Yeah thats true, can't believe that rubbish schofield had with lancs cricket club.. He was dire, so why shouldn't they have gotten rid of him?

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    Has anyone metioend Simon Marshal yet?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information