• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

English leg spinners?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
I reckon you can also pick the mental edge at a very young age as well.
Thats true, I played 1st XI cricket with a 13 year old.. You could spend half an hour trying to knock his head off and then realize he's just hit you for 40

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Langeveldt said:
Thats true, I played 1st XI cricket with a 13 year old.. You could spend half an hour trying to knock his head off and then realize he's just hit you for 40
That's more down to your lack of mental edge, though, isn't it?

Langeveldt

Soutie
Neil Pickup said:
That's more down to your lack of mental edge, though, isn't it?
No, its more down to his mental ability to face up to a bunch of hormonal mutants twice his size..

I missed the humour there..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
During the summer Channel 4 dragged up a ball Athers bowled that was utter rubbish....think he claimed it was an attempted flipper and it just seemed to go hard and flat way down the leg side...

I think Shane Warne is effectively a one off....someone with immense talent who has succeeded over 10 years in bowling leg spin....and because of that England shouldn't be looking for a Warne equivelant that just isn't there.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Matteh said:
During the summer Channel 4 dragged up a ball Athers bowled that was utter rubbish....think he claimed it was an attempted flipper and it just seemed to go hard and flat way down the leg side...
Hey! That's my stock ball!

open365

International Vice-Captain
Jungle Jumbo said:
I think a few more may have heard of him had Lancashire not signed Kartik at the end of last season, should get a few more games this year. Funnily enough I was speaking to one of the coaches who saw him at an early age the other day, said he was a class above anyone else as soon as you saw him. Apparently he's the best player to come through the West Cheshire area schemes of late, and this coach was telling me that you can tell instantly whether someone will be a FC player or not... it's just in you.
Yeh,at his school(Birkenhead)he owns a lot of the record list for most wickets/runs in a season and highests core.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
open365 said:
Yeh,at his school(Birkenhead)he owns a lot of the record list for most wickets/runs in a season and highests core.
That's something to do with apples, right?

Chubb

International Regular
Yep, that was really stupid of Somerset. I've seen Munday bowl in a benefit match at my club in 2004, and he didn't look all that... our captain got after him and he's only a E Division East batsman (lowest possible Devon League). Munday seemed to get very annoyed and bounced one of our guys. Maybe the slope was putting him off. I have heard he is a good prospect, but Somerset have White (who I suppose he can work with), Cullen, Blackwell in front of him and Durston and Suppiah, who are both more than capable with the bat, competing with him.

Chubb

International Regular
Did you see the one Warne bowled at Pietersen at the end of the Lord's test? Just like that, you "just" bring the arm over a lot faster and bang it in- it didn't get up much but our guy had to duck.

Last edited:

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
a massive zebra said:
Bob Barber
Bernard Bosanquet
Len Braund
Freddie Brown
Douglas Carr
Robert Cuttell
Percy Fender
Tich Freeman
Tommy Greenhough
John Hartley
Ernie Hayes
Young Jack Hearne
Robin Hobbs
Eric Hollies
Roly Jenkins
Father Marriott
Walter Mead
Tommy Mitchell
Jack O'Connor
Cecil Parkin
Ian Peebles
Walter Robins
Ian Salisbury
Chris Schofield
Jim Sims
Peter Smith
Greville Stevens
Bill Storer
Charlie Townsend
Len Wilkinson
Doug Wright

Nice list, thaks.

How many were still playing in 1960?

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Langeveldt said:
I went to Lords for coaching with Terry Jenner and its pretty obvious the talent is there, most of our good leggies are of asian descent, bar Mark Lawson..
Talented English sportsmen? are you sure?
they weren't english in the way Strauss and Pietersen are 'English'.

:) Only joking!

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Marshall, yes.

If the nightmare i had whilst on holiday involving Lancashire signing James Tredwell and banishing Marshall to the seconds for another year doesn't come true, he should get more game time this year.

He can bat aswell.

Also one for a few years time may be Greg Thompson although he's from NI

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
Why do you keep setting yourself up to be reminded of how I clean bowled you with my wrong-un?
Disclaimer: For most leg spinners the wrong-un is the one that pitches and turns the other way from usual.

For Neil, it's the one that pitches within 3 pitches of the stumps he's aiming at.