• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Trying to find a record

darko21

U19 Debutant
I am the book keeper of the ICC 2005 Record Book and I am struggling to find 1 record. The highest score on debut in a one day domestic match. I have tried cricket archive, cricinfo, howstat, searching yahoo etc. but have not found it. Anyone able to help?

Highest score on debut, One Day Domestic cricket. - ?

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
well Andy Crook missed out by one match, he scored 162* in his second match (first 50 over game)

Sorry can't help

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Is there is big list on cricinfo of highest one day scores? There could be a debutant in there somewhere.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
If you had the time you could work it out

1) Compare the scores with the player's List A span in order to weed out ones that were nowhere near their debut

2) Compile a short-list of guys who top-scored in their first year in list A cricket

3) Then work through the short-list via cricket archive to see if the score was on their debut.

But i haven't got the time...:blink:

TIF

U19 Debutant
It is probably Amol Muzumdar of Mumbai,India who scored 260 on his first-class debut for Mumbai:dontgetit But then I have a feeling that in over 150 years of first-class cricket, someone must have surely scored more than 260 on his first-class debut. Try searching first-class records for each country and you might get it.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
TIF said:
It is probably Amol Muzumdar of Mumbai,India who scored 260 on his first-class debut for Mumbai:dontgetit But then I have a feeling that in over 150 years of first-class cricket, someone must have surely scored more than 260 on his first-class debut. Try searching first-class records for each country and you might get it.
He wants one-day stats, not FC

TIF

U19 Debutant
Andy Flower 115*:mellow: for Zimbabwe on debut in the 1992 world cup. Must have been his 1st List A match as Zimbabwe werent a test-playing nation then and their domestic cricket did not have first-class status then.

foe

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
honestbharani said:
Afridi scored 102 in his first dig in ODIs. It wasn't his first match though. Yuvraj scored 84.
Yuvraj wasnt playing his first match either although it was the first time he batted...

In ODI's the record is 148 by Desmond haynes...not sure if anyone has done beter in List A though

Autobahn

State 12th Man
TIF said:
Andy Flower 115*:mellow: for Zimbabwe on debut in the 1992 world cup. Must have been his 1st List A match as Zimbabwe werent a test-playing nation then and their domestic cricket did not have first-class status then.
Nope cricinfo says his list A career started in 1988/89

darko21

U19 Debutant
Yes, I know Desmond Haynes has is it ODIs but that wasn't his first score in any one day cricket. Geez, this is a tough one. I have a list of the top scores ever in List A but it is near impossible to find the one record. I searched the 70s scorecards on cricinfo with the top scores but they don't mention who debuted in the match.

EDIT: However, I used CricketArchive and found that Paul Carlstein, who made 167*, played his first match against NE Transvaal and he scored 167* in that match. Thus, I think I have found the record, in the 70s. I just hope it is still standing.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
yeah. I saw his 203 and felt it was astonishing. I thought he was thrown away a little too soon. I thought he had the potential to be a more than decent player at the ODI level for England. They didn't have the greatest talent around in the mid and late 90s in the ODIs, you know.

darko21

U19 Debutant
Now I have found that one I am looking for:
- Most List A runs in a county season
- Most List A runs in a calendar year
- Most List A wickets in a county season
- Most List A wickets in a calendar year

So far, I have nothing. Only that Sachin scored 1894 runs in a year of ODIs and Saqlain took 69 wickets in a year of ODIs.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
honestbharani said:
yeah. I saw his 203 and felt it was astonishing. I thought he was thrown away a little too soon. I thought he had the potential to be a more than decent player at the ODI level for England. They didn't have the greatest talent around in the mid and late 90s in the ODIs, you know.
Yeah I thought the same on Alistair Brown.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
darko21 said:
Now I have found that one I am looking for:
- Most List A runs in a county season
- Most List A runs in a calendar year
- Most List A wickets in a county season
- Most List A wickets in a calendar year

So far, I have nothing. Only that Sachin scored 1894 runs in a year of ODIs and Saqlain took 69 wickets in a year of ODIs.
I guess if you use this link and search further back (and do similar for bowling) that'd work out the county seasons.

I guess that the record for year would happen in a World Cup year.