• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Plate Competition at the World Cup!

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Quite by accident I came across the idea that the ICC SHOULD intiate a plate competition at the 2007 World Cup to mirror the Super Eight phase that the top eight qualifiers get to play. It would certainly make for meaningful contest between minnows, as well as the fact that they get more exposure, and ensure that they didn't get thrashed a couple of times and then sent home.

You would have teams like Scotland (for example) playing "Plate League" matches against teams like Bangladesh, Kenya, Bermuda, Zimbabwe, Ireland, and Canada. It would also be great for any fans who were there to support their teams. Instead of seeing their team get a couple of whippings, then packed off home, they would see them in a REAL competition.

I think it is a great idea. It would certainly give the likes of India, England etc motivation to not lose to the Kenya's and the Bangladesh's. Instead of being sent home, they would have to play in the plate competition! :laugh:

Seriously though, let's tell the ICC! They are really good at making stuff happen!

Oh. Right... :dry:

Last edited:

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Just for laughs, I have sent an email to the ICC. I made it sound as serious as possible (ie. like they would actually do something about it).

Reply to follow...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Good point.

They have it in the U19 World Cup I believe, and that's a similar 4 groups of 4 competition (albeit not going onto Super 8)

Maybe the number of Super 8 games will make it a non-starter.

brockley

International Captain
The ICC will never go for it not enough money in it,the ICC more interested in holding a 20/20 world cup very soon.
Fact is there is already an associates' trophy the ICC would be happy that would make up for having a minnows trophy in the w cup.