• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Has the 'world cup' too many teams?

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I read with some dismay that the upcoming ICC world cup tournament will be competed amongst 16 teams (!).

Call me negative, but I strongly feel that this is simply too many teams and does NOT do the sport of cricket a service. Already amongst the teams with 'test' status there is a great disparity in quality and ability, with Bangladesh and Zimbabwe struggling to perform with any credible competetiveness amongst the others even in the more 'even' one day games. Of those teams who have qualified without 'test' status, only Kenya and possbly Canada can be expected to be anything for fans too look foward too. In previous tournaments The Netherlands and Scotland were predictably performers of a quality poor enough to be regarded as uncompetetive. Will Ireland and Bermuda be any different? this poster stronly doubts it.

I do not believe that for the most part the presence of these non-test teams and the two above mentioned test teams will add anything much to the competition or will add much in terms of revenue or long term growth of the sport.

And in any case, does an eight-hour long game like ODI cricket really need so many teams in one tournament? not in my opinion. Twelve teams perhaps is a stretch for me, sixteen is overkill.

Any thoughts?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Australia destroying Namibia in 2003 didn't help their cricket.
Sri Lanka annihilating Canada in 2003 didn't help their cricket.
England clubbing The Netherlands in 2003 didn't help their cricket.

However..........

Zimbabwe beating England in 1992 definitely helped their cricket (got Test status the next year I believe).
Bangladesh beating Pakistan in 1999 helped their cricket.
Kenya beating SL and Bangladesh in 2003 probably didn't help their cricket but only because they don't have the infrastructure to support their team. It would surely have helped interest in cricket in Kenya, though.

That's why there probably needs to continue to be minnow teams in the WC. That said, 16 teams does seem excessive.........

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
I think it helps to give some of the minnows a shot at the big time, show them what they could actually be if they get involved in a good infrastructure after their cricket days, and all work to develop to be like the test nations that they're playing. Also, I think it also gives them something to play for. Can you imagine how much of a thrill it would be for the players in teams like Ireland and Bermuda, especially considering Bermuda is close to the WI and probably attain some large local support, to just participate in the World Cup? Who cares how they play, they know that they might not even compete in the games they play, but they earned their spot there and they deserve to play in my opinion.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Think Namibia gave England a scare in Port Elizabeth, that must have helped their cricket, and it put Jan-Berrie Burger on the map..

Saying that, there are too many rubbish games, i think the minnows should play more cricket, and fewer world cup games..

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
The format of four groups of four is better than two of seven.

Each minnow is only in line for two thrashings, as opposed to the four they were set for last time around. And we get down to the big guns firing at one another sooner and more often. I think this is probably the perfect format given the dual function of the world cup.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think that teams like Holland and Ireland may be better equipped this time round - if Joyce is playing for Ireland, it could well give them someone to play round. Also the Dutch team has a few players with County experience - Ten Doeschate was a matchwinner quite often for Essex last year.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
savill said:
I think that teams like Holland and Ireland may be better equipped this time round - if Joyce is playing for Ireland, it could well give them someone to play round. Also the Dutch team has a few players with County experience - Ten Doeschate was a matchwinner quite often for Essex last year.
Van Bunge got more xp.
Kervezee is a 'hot' new talent.
only thing that worries me is the bowling deparement.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
On a side issue, i find it quite funny that there are six new ODI teams (five if you exclude Kenya who got it given back to them) and none of them have played a ODI yet. Does anyone know if any of them have got one planned for the foresable future.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
for me no, giving th minnows a chance at the highest level is good exposure for them.

TIF

U19 Debutant
chaminda_00 said:
On a side issue, i find it quite funny that there are six new ODI teams (five if you exclude Kenya who got it given back to them) and none of them have played a ODI yet. Does anyone know if any of them have got one planned for the foresable future.
You seem to have a wrong information. Holland, have already played 13 ODIs, 5 in the 1996 world cup and 6 in the 2003 world cup & 2 in the ICC Champions trophy in 2002. Canada, have played 9 ODIs, 3 in the 1979 world cup and 6 in the 2003 world cup and Scotland have already played 5 ODIs in the 1999 world cup. Only Ireland and Bermuda are the 2 new ODI playing nations.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
TIF said:
You seem to have a wrong information. Holland, have already played 13 ODIs, 5 in the 1996 world cup and 6 in the 2003 world cup & 2 in the ICC Champions trophy in 2002. Canada, have played 9 ODIs, 3 in the 1979 world cup and 6 in the 2003 world cup and Scotland have already played 5 ODIs in the 1999 world cup. Only Ireland and Bermuda are the 2 new ODI playing nations.
i meant this year...

howardj

International Coach
I don't think the World Cup is a stage for the minnows. The World Cup - sure it should be a celebration of cricket - above all, should be about showcasing excellence. I mean, the top teams only get together in the one place once every four years (not counting the Champions Trophy, which is a sudden-death competition) so let's see them duel against each other more, rather having to endure lop-sided, token contests.

I don't think the minnows really get anything out of being absolutely hammered. It's pretty obvious that the way for them to improve their standard of cricket is to have a decent domestic structure in place, and to play reasonably regularly against domestic teams from other countries. Incremental improvement - not being absolutely gazzumped by Chaminda Vass (as in the last World Cup) taking 9 for 1 (*slightly exaggerated*) against whoever it was

Last edited:

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
howardj said:
I don't think the World Cup is a stage for the minnows. The World Cup - sure it should be a celebration of cricket - above all, should be about showcasing excellence. I mean, the top teams only get together in the one place once every four years (not counting the Champions Trophy, which is a sudden-death competition) so let's see them duel against each other more, rather having to endure lop-sided, token contests.

I don't think the minnows really get anything out of being absolutely hammered. It's pretty obvious that the way for them to improve their standard of cricket is to have a decent domestic structure in place, and to play reasonably regularly against domestic teams from other countries. Incremental improvement - not being absolutely gazzumped by Chaminda Vass (as in the last World Cup) taking 9 for 1 (*slightly exaggerated*) against whoever it was
wtf's australia doing in the football world cup then :D

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Good, I'd like too see more minnows in the world cup, its a chance for them to gain experience with the big teams. Yeah, they do get thrashed but thats all that is all that can be expected.

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
I agree with having the teams in groups of four. Basically, the top 8 (you know who they are) SHOULD advance through to the second round, with the first round being a bit of a warm up for them. This in turn is beneficial for the "minnow's" as they get to play some classy players on the world stage. I think that a great idea though would have been for the eight teams knocked out (probably BAN, ZIM, BER, KEN, IRE, CAN, HOL, SCO) to play a plate competition. It would give them more even and meaningful contests, as well. Though imagine if Bangladesh beat India, or England lost to Kenya! Horror. The good thing about it is that at least everyone should play everyone this time round and people won't get through because of "security concerns" ahem...

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Originally Posted by kwek
Van Bunge got more xp.
Kervezee is a 'hot' new talent.
only thing that worries me is the bowling deparement
Tendo had a great year in the Totesport, and just checking his averages, he averaged 66.5 at a strike rate of 101!!! I agree that the bowling department does look weak, especially since Ryan was used as a front - line bowler in the ICC Trophy, though his stats don't look too bad!!!

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
savill said:
Tendo had a great year in the Totesport, and just checking his averages, he averaged 66.5 at a strike rate of 101!!! I agree that the bowling department does look weak, especially since Ryan was used as a front - line bowler in the ICC Trophy, though his stats don't look too bad!!!
Tendo is a good bowler. not much luck in totesport. but good bowler.
we got Gokke(not up for the standerd imo)
Schiferli raw power..but not enough accuracy imo.
De leede. accuracy good bowler.(oke that might be a 'little' bias :')
who we got left ?! certainly not a good bowling attack
Raja is a good spinner, but not world standard.

savill

School Boy/Girl Captain
Tendo suffers from Essex's array of bowling in the One - Day game, I think in some of the games he was 8th choice! I certainly think that he may be a surprise for some teams in the WC, his batting was pretty explosive last year. I think the Dutch batting line up is one of the strongest out of the minnows, but the bowling attack looks thin. I'd think though that out of all the minnows Holland and Ireland look more likely to cause an upset.