• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

No Ashes for India and Pakistan

SJS

Hall of Fame Member

In Affectionate Remembrance
of
Indo-Pak Cricket
which suffered a massive stroke at the Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore and
a week later, while still in coma, died at the Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad
on
25th January 2006
Deeply lamented by a large number of sorrowing
Friends and Acquaintances

The body will be taken to Dubai for forensic examination
to assess whether the death was due to natural causes
or caused by gross neglect and indifference as is widely suspected.

Contrary to earlier wild expectations,
there will be no cremation and consequently,
NO ASHES ....... nor its equivalent

R.I.P.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
In which case, I can imagine the two sides in an epic struggle for "the Cadaver"! :D

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
SJS said:

In Affectionate Remembrance
of
Indo-Pak Cricket
which suffered a massive stroke at the Gaddafi Stadium, Lahore and
a week later, while still in coma, died at the Iqbal Stadium, Faisalabad
on
25th January 2006
Deeply lamented by a large number of sorrowing
Friends and Acquaintances

The body will be taken to Dubai for forensic examination
to assess whether the death was due to natural causes
or caused by gross neglect and indifference as is widely suspected.

R.I.P.

Shouldn't it be Grass neglect? :confused1 ;) :D

TIF

U19 Debutant
This cannot be called a death of Ind-Pak cricket. Zaheer Khan, pumped some life when it looked dead by taking 4 quick wickets to take Pakistan from 488/3 to 490/8 taking 4 of those 5 wickets to fall removing the tailenders quickly.

I would not call it the death of Ind-Pak cricket as in the pre-1990 era, we used to have India-Pakistan series ending in boring 0-0 draws. Atleast in the 2 draws, we have seen some excitement with runs being scored quickly.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dr. Saeed Durrani in Daily Times letters suggests Rakhi as the name for the India-Pakistan series. While Ashes symbolises destruction, Rakhi is the symbol of bonding. I like it.

I doubt if the two tests have caused a death to India-Pakistan cricket though they were definitely undesired. The resurgence of the series in the past few years has definitely brought a bonding between a lot of people of the two nations. As people crossed borders, barriers were brocken.

Rakhi is tied by the sister to the brother for protection. But it is also tied on various ocassions and does not mean one nation is being referred to as male and another as female.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
For those who want to defend the Indo-Pak series, let me clarify (although it ruins the idea), this was aimed at the idea that India and Pakistan matches are capable of providing a contest to compare with the historical Ashes.

The two test matches so far seem to be a bit different , no ?

godofcricket

State 12th Man
Pratyush said:
Dr. Saeed Durrani in Daily Times letters suggests Rakhi as the name for the India-Pakistan series. While Ashes symbolises destruction, Rakhi is the symbol of bonding. I like .
Rakhi seriously seems very dull, its a nice word but its cricket rivalry we are talking about and rakhi is more of a relationship word.

Tony Blade

U19 Cricketer
SJS said:
For those who want to defend the Indo-Pak series, let me clarify (although it ruins the idea), this was aimed at the idea that India and Pakistan matches are capable of providing a contest to compare with the historical Ashes.

You're basing all this on two test matches? Seems a bit rash considering we only had one (tense) drawn test in the previous two series.

C_C

International Captain
this was aimed at the idea that India and Pakistan matches are capable of providing a contest to compare with the historical Ashes.
Contest ? Ashes ? You mean one competitive Ashes series after a decade and half and a good 40 or so matches of one sided affairs ? I am sorry but the recent history of Ashes competition is even more abbysmal than the IND-PAK series. 0-0 series is better than 4-0 annihilation within 3-4 days of every single match.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
C_C said:
Contest ? Ashes ? You mean one competitive Ashes series after a decade and half and a good 40 or so matches of one sided affairs ? I am sorry but the recent history of Ashes competition is even more abbysmal than the IND-PAK series. 0-0 series is better than 4-0 annihilation within 3-4 days of every single match.
Not really. Not when the 0-0 series consists of 6 centuries and 2 innings per match, anyway.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Tony Blade said:
You're basing all this on two test matches? Seems a bit rash considering we only had one (tense) drawn test in the previous two series.
Two tests in a three test series are approximately two-thirds of the series I think.

If two thirds oif the series is open and inspite of being on vacation, I cant bring myself to watch a complete days cricket (I tried to match my vacation with the test series, well, its bad enough for me and certainly doesnt compare with the Ashes series when inspite of not being an Aussie or a Pom, I kept missing a bit of work everyday because the series was so riveting.

Lok here my dear. I am as keen on Indo-Pak cricket as you are. Believe me. People of my generation (born 3 years after partition) do not treat Indo-Pak matches lightly but this is a terrible series so far and even if we have a great match at Karachi, this fact does not change.

We were called, in the fifties and sixties the dull dogs of cricket. It used to hurt to hear that but it was a tag well earned. After being blessed with so many talented and exciting cricketers we are doing great injustice to ourselves and our cricketers by having surfaces like this.

To say this is okay is not being patriotic, its being blind, dumb and stupid. Its not that its because it is Pakistan that is the host. India too has been guilty of such wickets in the past. That doesnt make it less disgusting.

I am sorry if that sounds strong but this is how I feel.

C_C

International Captain
FaaipDeOiad said:
Not really. Not when the 0-0 series consists of 6 centuries and 2 innings per match, anyway.
I wouldnt term it an entertaining performance, but neither is an innings and 200 runs defeat entertaining.

I just dont see how anyone could bring up the Ashes as the barometer of 'excitement'. Unless ofcourse they started watching cricket only a year ago.
Before the last Ashes series, ENG had lost 8 consecutive series, playing 43 matches, winning 9, drawing 10 and losing 24. Series results were 4-0,3-0,4-1,3-1,3-2,3-1,4-1 and 4-1. Of those English victories, i think 3 or 4 of them came when the series was already lost.
Someone billing the Ashes as 'good contest' either has a very poor memory or has a predictable but erroneous beleif that any match that has a result is a better contest than one that is a draw.

Infact seen over the past 15 years or so, IND-PAK has hardly played each other but in general have produced far more entertaining contest than the Ashes - the last three series have been gripping with the 98/99 series being near-legendary.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
SJS said:

Ashes - how many except the last series have been as exciting as Indo-Pak cricket from 1998-99?

Historically Indian-Pakistan has had too many draws and Ashes has been better but recent record except the last two tests suggests India-Pakistan series to be very exciting.

C_C

International Captain
Infact, historically speaking, the most hotly contested and high quality series over the last 40-odd years has been the Frank Worrell Trophy. Ashes doesnt come close to the FW series in that regard.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Great Series Stats

- 2791 runs scored so far BUT
- 40 wickets have not yet fallen THOUGH
- two thirds of the series is over !!

Partnerships of
only 36 wickets fell believe me

Batting Average of all the 22 players put together : - 73.1 !!

Bowling average of all bowlers : 82.2

Bowling Stats of the fastest bowler in the world
- Average : 146
- Strike Rate ; 248

Combined Bowling of one of the best bowling atacks in the world (?) :
- 10 wickets for 1007 runs
- Strike rate 150.6
- Best bowler averaged 63

12 centuries including one double and two others in the 190's !!

It is endless.

If this is test cricket, we dont want any more of it !