• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

katich over jaques

symonds

Cricket Spectator
Can some body any body tell me what else this man has to do to get an opening spot in our one day side jaques now has 4 tons already this year an i dont think katich has any.
Iam beside myself as to why katich is even in the side he is a hack he made 94 on his debut katich highest score is about 67.

Surley the auzzie selectors will do a switch-a-roo soon.

thoughts

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I like Katich and is a different style to Jaques and Gilchrist. He's not as 'explosive' but gathers runs quickly without notice and can set up an innings. A good combination would be Katich & Jaques, IMHO, but Gilchrist will still be given that role until he retires, it seems.

chooka_nick

International 12th Man
NZTailender said:
I like Katich and is a different style to Jaques and Gilchrist. He's not as 'explosive' but gathers runs quickly without notice and can set up an innings. A good combination would be Katich & Jaques, IMHO, but Gilchrist will still be given that role until he retires, it seems.
I agree with the thoughts on Katto... but it really should be Jaques. Another 100 today for him!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Simply put, anything Katich can do, Jaques can do. Jaques would be an ideal partner for Gilchrist, as he can also be explosive and keep the scoring rate up, as well as build a long innings when Gilchrist inevitably gets out. Mark Waugh was a similar one day player, and partnered Gilchrist perfectly.

Katich isn't a poor OD player, but there's no need for him in the current team.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
FaaipDeOiad said:
Simply put, anything Katich can do, Jaques can do. Jaques would be an ideal partner for Gilchrist, as he can also be explosive and keep the scoring rate up, as well as build a long innings when Gilchrist inevitably gets out. Mark Waugh was a similar one day player, and partnered Gilchrist perfectly.

Katich isn't a poor OD player, but there's no need for him in the current team.
Completely agree. According to the newspaper there will be a reshuffle of the Aus top order if it fails again

howardj

International Coach
symonds said:
Iam beside myself as to why katich is even in the side he is a hack he made 94 on his debut katich highest score is about 67.

thoughts
Yeah, surely it's a dare. One of Trevor Hohn's' mates has bet him a six-pack on how long he can justify the selection, without breaking into fits of laughter. Seriously though, anything weird (like the Katich retention over Jaques; or Haddin batting above Symonds and Hussey in a run chase) smacks of John Buchanan. They brought him back into line Post-Ashes (when they actually got back to practicing the skills of the game) but now he's broken off the leash again.

Last edited:

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
I think the selectors are showing a remarkable sense of loyalty when it comes to Simon Katich. I can remember, quite some time ago some people were even of the belief that he was being groomed as the next captain (or future) of Australia.

Since then he has unfortunately become one of those players in both forms of the game who is seen as a 'super-sub' someone to call upon who can be relied upon to hold the fort whilst someone else is injured or taking a break.

It is a sad state of affairs for Katich but I think he is going to fall into the same catagory as Lehmann, Love, Law etc. Players who held down the fort whilst the selectors favourites were unavailable.

With that said I really don't see him being a suitable opener for Australia in the ODI side. I personally would rather see the likes of Jacques and M Hussey opening and Katich coming in down the order.

My perfect Australian ODI side would look like:

P Jacques
M Hussey
R Ponting *
D Martyn
M Clarke
A Gilchrist +
S Katich
S Watson
B Hogg (or Warne if he decides to return)
B Lee
G McGrath

12th man ... take your pick!

howardj

International Coach
Western Warrior said:
I think the selectors are showing a remarkable sense of loyalty when it comes to Simon Katich. I can remember, quite some time ago some people were even of the belief that he was being groomed as the next captain (or future) of Australia.

Since then he has unfortunately become one of those players in both forms of the game who is seen as a 'super-sub' someone to call upon who can be relied upon to hold the fort whilst someone else is injured or taking a break.

It is a sad state of affairs for Katich but I think he is going to fall into the same catagory as Lehmann, Love, Law etc. Players who held down the fort whilst the selectors favourites were unavailable.

With that said I really don't see him being a suitable opener for Australia in the ODI side. I personally would rather see the likes of Jacques and M Hussey opening and Katich coming in down the order.

My perfect Australian ODI side would look like:

P Jacques
M Hussey
R Ponting *
D Martyn
M Clarke
A Gilchrist +
S Katich
S Watson
B Hogg (or Warne if he decides to return)
B Lee
G McGrath

12th man ... take your pick!
Don't you like guys with crazy hair (Symonds). Surely an inadvertent omission.

howardj

International Coach
On a serious note, there's this big emphasis on planning for the World Cup - and even a suggestion from Ponting that Gilchrist and Katich are the preferred duo to open in the Carribean. To me, I can't really comprehend if you're planning for a World Cup - to be played on small grounds and flat wickets - why you'd have Simon Katich pencilled in?

The guy doesn't bat through the innings; nor does he have a great strike rate; nor a history of making large totals. This WC is going to be, I reckon, very similar to the 1996 WC - on small grounds and flat wickets, you'll need to go for it, pretty much from the outset. Teams won't be safe making 280 or even 300. If the emphasis is on planning for the Carribean (and the prevailing conditions) Katich should not be the guy pencilled in.

Western Warrior

School Boy/Girl Captain
howardj said:
Don't you like guys with crazy hair (Symonds). Surely an inadvertent omission.
I can see a selection fight developing for the 'all-rounders' position between Shane Watson (fitness permitting) and Andrew Symonds (form permitting).

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
How so? Symonds is one of the top ODI batsmen in the world. He would probably make a world XI as a batsman alone, or at least go very close.

Watson might well fight out an all-rounder's spot with Hopes, White etc, but not with Symonds. His place at number 5 is secure for several years at least.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
yeh i hav to agree sayin dat katich is a much better player than phil jaques... for starters katich has experience and can consolidate runs while everyone scores around him.. he is very good..he just hasn't produced anyfin dis series yet..

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
symonds is a must for da aussie ODI team.. he is a consistent performer... wif both the bat, ball and his excellent fieldin skills..

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
alternative said:
symonds is a must for da aussie ODI team.. he is a consistent performer... wif both the bat, ball and his excellent fieldin skills..
Please Please type properly....

Give Jacques a few more innings to see if it wasn't a one off....
I personally feel that Katich is probably the most underrated Aussie batsman in the team atm...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
obviously Jaques, Katich isn't the worst but unfortunately australia would do better off not having him in the one-day team.

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
I dont get how Jacques can make a record for most runs by an Aus on debut and not be selected next game
i also dont get how the commentators can call him "Jakes" how can it be "jakes"

Last edited:

Langeveldt

Soutie
33/3from3.3 said:
I dont get how Jacques can make a record for most runs by an Aus on debut and not be selected next game
i also dont get how the commentators can call him "Jakes" how can it be "jakes"
Yeh its pretty odd, I mean Kallis is never called Jakes..

They have learned the Sri Lankans pretty well, so why do they still say "Boater" and "Van der Waath" when the south africans play? (Its Boor-ta and Van der Vaart)