Cricket Betting Site Betway

View Poll Results: Should cricket be part of the Olympics?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

14 37.84%
  • No

23 62.16%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket and the Olympics

Quote Originally Posted by TIF
    Best of all, having cricket in the olympics gives chance to countries like India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh to have a good chance of getting an Olympic medal, something which is rare for these countires(except probably India, but then it has been ages since we won an Olympic gold medal way back in 1980.) India, has had to satisfy itself with just 1 non-gold medal in the last 3 olympic games with the show in the 2004 olympic games being the most disappointing except Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore. All our medal hopes failed one by one and were quickly out of contention and we had to satisfy ourselves with just a lone silver medal whn contries with only 1 million population, bagged gold medals easily.
    That's not the IOC's problem though.

Cricket is not global enough for the Olympics. And that's the crux of the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Voltman
    That's not the IOC's problem though.

Cricket is not global enough for the Olympics. And that's the crux of the matter.
    yes it is. baseball is meaningless in Asia (apart from Korea & Japan) and Africa and for the most part Europe. but the US plays it, so it doesn't really matter does it? cricket is big in Asia, Australia, England, South Africa and the West Indies, and it's growing exponentially in the US. It should be there. If you have rowing and sailing in there, cricket should definitely be in there. The 50-over format with 20 teams will work just fine, but does a place like Beijing (08) even have cricket stadiums?

Quote Originally Posted by adharcric
    yes it is. baseball is meaningless in Asia (apart from Korea & Japan) and Africa and for the most part Europe. but the US plays it, so it doesn't really matter does it? cricket is big in Asia, Australia, England, South Africa and the West Indies, and it's growing exponentially in the US. It should be there. If you have rowing and sailing in there, cricket should definitely be in there. The 50-over format with 20 teams will work just fine, but does a place like Beijing (08) even have cricket stadiums?
    And, please remind me, what is baseball's future in the games?

Pinball Champion!
    Nope, because then we'd be subjected to more of that Twenty20 piffle...
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

International Debutant
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh
    That was the point of my post...
    I knew that...

I'd like it to be in the Olympics because I like (if not love) watching cricket, but I don't think cricket should be included in the Olympics..

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    I don't think Cricket should ever be at the olympics. It's not very international, takes alot of time and space, is proffessional and doesn't really fit into the olympic spirit.

Although in my opinion there are plenty of sports that are competed at the olympics that shouldn't be for the above reasons...

Pinball Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Truekiwijoker
    and doesn't really fit into the olympic spirit.
    How come? Too much rubbish in cricket, too few drugs?

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt
    How come? Too much rubbish in cricket, too few drugs?
    The Olympic spirit was SUPPOSED to be individualistic and sportsmanlike when the first modern olympics were held at the end of the 19th century. Cricket, the sport we all love, is a team sport that while ideally gentlemanly is very much about intrigue and gamesmanship like lawn bowls or croquet.

And in any case, it's hardly the most athletic sport in my opinion.

Pinball Champion!
    Yeah, agreed, but Twenty20 is a pretty physical game, you can't compete if you arent tip top fit these days..

I'd like to see a Twenty20 tournament in the Olympics, mainly because not only would it provide entertainment, it would surely grab fans from other countries eye, and could make cricket bigger on an international scale.

International Vice-Captain Anna's Avatar
    That's a very good point actually.

COME ON YOU BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"One day lad, all this will be yours"
    "What, the curtains?"

yes, it should be played in the Winter Olympics, in a timeless test format on pitches prepared according to guidelines laid down by the curators of the Faisalabad and Antigua grounds. In order to improve spectator attendance, the players should wear cycling shorts.

Quote Originally Posted by dontcloseyoureyes
    I'd like to see a Twenty20 tournament in the Olympics, mainly because not only would it provide entertainment, it would surely grab fans from other countries eye, and could make cricket bigger on an international scale.
    But that's not the idea of the Olympics. It's to bring global sports together in one large festival.

International Vice-Captain open365's Avatar
    No,it would be a pointless trophy,i know it's the olympics and all that,but i couldn't honestly care whether England won the olympics or not and i also don't care how much exposure it brings to non-playing countries.

The world cup is the only cricketing trophy between more than 3 teams thaat anyone cares about and it should stay that way.

For details of the one time cricket was at the Olympics - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cricket...ummer_Olympics

Bit of a joke but it DID happen...
    Last edited by sirjeremy11; 26-01-2006 at 02:04 PM.
    We will NEVER forgive "Umpire" Ian Robinson

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information