• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Vaughan takes Fleming's style of captaincy.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Quite interesting. I also never knew that Fleming ever played for Yorkshire, I thought he always played for Middlesex.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Thought it was a good read. I think it provides insight into any leader who wants his players to play FOR him, not in spite of him.

Natman20

International Debutant
BlackCap_Fan said:
Quite interesting. I also never knew that Fleming ever played for Yorkshire, I thought he always played for Middlesex.
He played for Nottinghamshire last year

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I think we all need to thank Fleming for doing that - Vaughan's certainly not doing a bad job!

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I think we all need to thank Fleming for doing that - Vaughan's certainly not doing a bad job!
How about the English team throw the next series against us and we'll be even. :D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Voltman said:
How about the English team throw the next series against us and we'll be even. :D
Compromise - we'll lend you our physio next time you come over (although he probably helped out last time anyway)

sirjeremy11

State Vice-Captain
Fleming is definitely a calm (relatively) leader. Two times I remember slight dumby spitting...

After 2001 Pakistan test at Eden Park where NZ lose 9 for 25 on the last day, during a press interview he asks the reporter what they would expect with "a C Team", as NZ had a whole team basically on the injured list at the time.

Last year in South Africa, the big man's frustration at what a plonker GC Smith is, combined with the fact that they couldn't win (even though they should of!) to save themselves, led to his mock celebration at getting the plonker out. Plonker Smith (lol at Smith running into that big blow up drinks trolley or whatever it was).

Other then that, for a man whose team has been on the end of some beatings (and of course in the good times as well), he is certainly a calming influence on the field - which must be where Mr Vettori gets it from.

Autobahn

State 12th Man
sirjeremy11 said:
Last year in South Africa, the big man's frustration at what a plonker GC Smith is, combined with the fact that they couldn't win (even though they should of!) to save themselves, led to his mock celebration at getting the plonker out. Plonker Smith (lol at Smith running into that big blow up drinks trolley or whatever it was).
I remember watching that and there was no way the kiwis deserved to win, they couldn't simply force the pace at all, and the way Mills went at smith was disgusting, i mean there's sledging but that's was just outright verbal abuse.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Autobahn said:
I remember watching that and there was no way the kiwis deserved to win, they couldn't simply force the pace at all, and the way Mills went at smith was disgusting, i mean there's sledging but that's was just outright verbal abuse.
Nah it was good fun.. Not only was mills smashed everywhere, but he was on the losing team and he his hair is like a brillo pad.. don't think smithers was phased

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Langeveldt said:
Nah it was good fun.. Not only was mills smashed everywhere, but he was on the losing team and he his hair is like a brillo pad.. don't think smithers was phased
He was probably doing his best not to fall on the ground laughing...

thierry henry

International Coach
Langeveldt said:
Must've been watching a different series. Mills was NZ's best bowler easily.

And yes, NZ could easily have won any one of the matches in that series (if you were take the games from say, 75% of the way through) and should definitely have won at least 2, maybe 3.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Every match went to the last 5 overs where it could have gone either way..in the end, South Africa came out on top when it mattered.

4-0 was certainly flattering and im not convinced South Africa are that far ahead of NZ in ODI's.

thierry henry

International Coach
Tim said:
Every match went to the last 5 overs where it could have gone either way..in the end, South Africa came out on top when it mattered.

4-0 was certainly flattering and im not convinced South Africa are that far ahead of NZ in ODI's.
Certainly. Although in at least 2 of the games NZ were well ahead of the game with perhaps 15 or 20 overs to go.

New Zealand are South Africa are very well matched. We go ok against them in NZ, they win pretty much every game in SA but most are nailbiters. I'm convinced we are cursed playing in SA.

Truekiwijoker

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I like Micheal Vaughn, and aside from his over-usage of night watchmen am a big fan of Flemings captaincy.

I like especially like the whole breath of fresh air Vaughn is after Nasser Hussain and Micheal Atherton, two captians I was never a fan of and two men who epitomised much of what I dislike about aspects of the England cricket scene.

Also laughed at how Martin Crowe criticised Fleming for not being emotional enough.:laugh: The man who brought NZ this rubbish called cricket MAX.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Quite comfortably the 2 best captains in int'l cricket, so its no surprise when reading the article. Good read though :)