• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Pace Bowler

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee is an on-again off-again form bowler. I have never really seen him put 2 or 3 consistent bowling innings together. One game he will pick up 5 wickets & bowl brilliantly, the next day he will go for 50 off 10 overs without getting a wicket. To some extent Shoaib Ahktar is the same.

To me there are really only two bowlers at the moment who can bowl extremely quick, while still remaining economic & taking the wickets & they are Jason Gillespie & Shane Bond.
Now Gillespie has been doing this for awhile & thats what impresses me so much about him, he's undoubtabley my favourite bowler while even though its early days for Shane Bond he is still bowling quick & taking alot of wickets while also remaining quite economic.

For the likes of Makhaya Ntini..well he has fallen away since the VB Series where he was outstanding..I know alot of ppl like myself predicted big things from him but he's really gone off in a different direction at the moment. I got to see Simon Jones and I got the feeling he doesn't quite reach the same speeds as AHktar, Lee, Bond, Gillespie etc but that won't matter if he takes wickets & remains economic.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Erm no, we're talking about quicks. Hoggard is a swing bowler IMO (except on Cricket 2002 when he's medium fast)

Incidentally he just helped Giles put on over 30 for the last wicket to win off the last ball chasing 183 in 20 overs for me.:D

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's a good bowler, just too inconsistent at the moment and if he's on an off day, it's a real off day!

Kimbo

International Debutant
I can't believe 6 people have voted for Brett Lee...
nobody here has been piping up about how good he iis, yet he is second on the poll. come on, own up:)

R_Powell_fan

U19 Captain
I voted for Brett Lee who IMO is a great bowler when he is fired up...I like him mostly becuase of the amount of swing he can extract, and when he gets his line right he can bowl some pretty amazing spells...I believe he will get better will commitment and determination...somebody who started his career taking wickets at a rate of around 7 wkts per test and averaged 17 per wicket can't be said to be an ordinary bowler....

wahindiawah

Banned
Originally posted by R_Powell_fan
I voted for Brett Lee who IMO is a great bowler when he is fired up...I like him mostly becuase of the amount of swing he can extract, and when he gets his line right he can bowl some pretty amazing spells...

That doesn't happen often.
I believe he will get better will commitment and determination...

Remains to be seen

somebody who started his career taking wickets at a rate of around 7 wkts per test and averaged 17 per wicket can't be said to be an ordinary bowler....
Nope, he's not ordinary BUT definately overrated.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well for India, Srinath used to be bloody fast and still aint slow! I doubt Darren Gough is particually slow either but I dunno now after his op, he was fast (90mph+ mostly) and had very good control. So there are 2 very good bowlers who are fast and come from somewhere other than Australia and Pakistan and the WIndies. Also why is Ntini in there? He is only picked in tests for his colour whatever the SA Board say to try and cover it. And enough of the "oh I've gotta vote for this englishman as otherwise some Englishman will moan", Im American but have lived in England all my life and I don't find it funny. It gets rather annoying when people think that England are useless, in the last few years England have beaten Sri Lanka twice, Pakistan once and drew with them as well, lost to India's blocking tactics and then drawn with them after some amazing batting by Dravid and no really great bowling, and drawn with NZ and Im sure England would have repeated the kind of form which they showed in the 1st test when NZ were only saved from a crushing by Astle if it had not been for the death of Ben Hollioke which distracted most of the players...oh and the utter rubbishness of Rampraksh!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well for India, Srinath used to be bloody fast and still aint slow! I doubt Darren Gough is particually slow either but I dunno now after his op, he was fast (90mph+ mostly) and had very good control. So there are 2 very good bowlers who are fast and come from somewhere other than Australia and Pakistan and the WIndies. Also why is Ntini in there? He is only picked in tests for his colour whatever the SA Board say to try and cover it. And enough of the "oh I've gotta vote for this englishman as otherwise some Englishman will moan", Im American but have lived in England all my life and I don't find it funny. It gets rather annoying when people think that England are useless, in the last few years England have beaten Sri Lanka twice, Pakistan once and drew with them as well, lost to India's blocking tactics and then drawn with them after some amazing batting by Dravid and no really great bowling, and drawn with NZ and Im sure England would have repeated the kind of form which they showed in the 1st test when NZ were only saved from a crushing by Astle if it had not been for the death of Ben Hollioke which distracted most of the players...oh and the utter rubbishness of Rampraksh! Why take the piss? England have won more series than NZ and India lately and yet get made fun of, ok they are not up with Australia and South Africa but at least we don't get mauled by Pakistan, its a shame that the series was abandoned, Im sure Inzamam was looking forward to the next test and improving on his career best!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well hes a very good county player...if he could just get his head sorted, I mean he played such appauling shots in NZ, he would never play them for his county...as the players arn't supposed to be as good, but he can do it, its just so annoying that he can't!

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Brett Lee started off against the WIndies and NZ if I'm right, yeah 17 a wicket is very good...but if you look at the hauls Shoaib took against NZ (6-11) it shows exactly why Lee was able to start his career that way, oh and the WIndies found it hard to bat against anyone over medium pace, luckly now they've got better! If only a bit though...

Anon2

U19 Cricketer
You've got to have an on form Darren Gough in there somewhere, he's more accurate than Simon Jones.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Well they are when India block out the entire last day of the 3rd test last winter, you can't exactly say they were attacking or doing anything but trying to save the game!