Page 99 of 136 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
Results 1,471 to 1,485 of 2034
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #1471
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Thanks Sean and Fredfertang.

  2. #1472
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,726
    Can I have a go at naming my top 10? (in no particular order)

    Bodyline Autopsy - David Frith

    It's all been said.

    Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why - David Foot

    The only book by him I own, can anyone recommend another?

    Runs in the Memory - Stephen Chalke

    A big Chalke fan, and I'm still looking for the follow-up

    Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches - Patrick Murphy

    I always go on about this one, I don't know anyone else who's even read it though.

    Playing With Fire - Nasser Hussain

    The best autobiography I've read in the last 10 years. Knocks Stewart, Atherton et al into a cocked hat (whatever that is)

    The Joy of Cricket - Various

    I'm allowed one compendium aren't I?

    The Fast Men/The Slow Men - David Frith

    Always consider them as two halves of the same book

    Silence of the Heart - David Frith

    Looks like I'm another fan doesn't it ...

    Fatty Batter - Michael Simkins

    The best I've read of its type. First half is better than the second though.

    On and off the Field - Ed Smith

    A very good 'diary' type book - will get round to reviewing it soon
    ,
    Last edited by stumpski; 02-04-2009 at 09:17 AM.

  3. #1473
    Cricketer Of The Year The Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    7,513
    At lunchtime today I picked up Derek Birley's A Social History of English Cricket, having been intending to do so for several years previously. Not sure how many on here have read it, but would be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

    Will post my own review (if I get around to it - which is always debatable with me) when I've finished it.
    Member of the Twenty20 is Boring Society

    Quote Originally Posted by grecian View Post
    C'mon Man U.
    RIP Craigos

  4. #1474
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,726
    A very well known and acclaimed book, but one which - like 'Beyond a Boundary' - I've never got round to reading. I always think that there isn't going to be 'enough cricket' in them, if you know what I mean.

    But then I've never read 'the Art of Captaincy' either, so clearly my education is far from complete.


  5. #1475
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratters View Post
    Which are good bodyline books apart from Bodyline Autopsy and the Jardine memoir? I am looking at reading more indepth on the topic.

    Also, on WG, there is the definitive biography by Simon Rae. How is the book WG has written himself? What other books do I need to go indepth on WG?
    One of the better books on WG is The Great Cricketer by A A Thomson

  6. #1476
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Where can I find the great cricketer to buy? I want a book which breaks the myth behind the man and tells us why he is so great. We all know he is great but the why is not accounted for fully...
    Last edited by Pratters; 02-04-2009 at 11:43 AM.

  7. #1477
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,831
    AA Thomson had a wonderfully evocative way with words and wrote many fine books about the game but he wasn't one for stripping his subjects down to the bare bones and trying to work out exactly what made them tick - Rae on the other hand did, as best a writer can with no living contemporaries to talk to, dissect the myths so I'd recommend that - it's not rare and I am sure ABE will throw up several copies

  8. #1478
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    At lunchtime today I picked up Derek Birley's A Social History of English Cricket, having been intending to do so for several years previously. Not sure how many on here have read it, but would be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

    Will post my own review (if I get around to it - which is always debatable with me) when I've finished it.
    I really enjoyed it, but it can go into too much detail on some subjects, I would think 4 stars
    You know it makes sense.

  9. #1479
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Rolling right Inuit
    Posts
    8,897
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sean View Post
    At lunchtime today I picked up Derek Birley's A Social History of English Cricket, having been intending to do so for several years previously. Not sure how many on here have read it, but would be interested in the thoughts of those who have.

    Will post my own review (if I get around to it - which is always debatable with me) when I've finished it.
    I've not read it but Birley's The Willow Wand is probably my favourite cricket book of all time.

  10. #1480
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Can I have a go at naming my top 10? (in no particular order)

    Bodyline Autopsy - David Frith

    It's all been said.

    Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why - David Foot

    The only book by him I own, can anyone recommend another?

    Runs in the Memory - Stephen Chalke

    A big Chalke fan, and I'm still looking for the follow-up

    Fifty Incredible Cricket Matches - Patrick Murphy

    I always go on about this one, I don't know anyone else who's even read it though.

    Playing With Fire - Nasser Hussain

    The best autobiography I've read in the last 10 years. Knocks Stewart, Atherton et al into a cocked hat (whatever that is)

    The Joy of Cricket - Various

    I'm allowed one compendium aren't I?

    The Fast Men/The Slow Men - David Frith

    Always consider them as two halves of the same book

    Silence of the Heart - David Frith

    Looks like I'm another fan doesn't it ...

    Fatty Batter - Michael Simkins

    The best I've read of its type. First half is better than the second though.

    On and off the Field - Ed Smith

    A very good 'diary' type book - will get round to reviewing it soon
    ,
    On Wally there are two that I know one by Ronald Mason (a little boring tbh) and one by Howat also a little long winded.

    The Foot one is by far and away the best of the three imo

  11. #1481
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,726
    I obviously didn't phrase that very well - I meant other books by Foot, not other Hammond biographies.

    I doubt if the other writers would have dealt with his flaws as Foot did so effectively, they would have been hagiographies by comparison.

  12. #1482
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    I obviously didn't phrase that very well - I meant other books by Foot, not other Hammond biographies.

    I doubt if the other writers would have dealt with his flaws as Foot did so effectively, they would have been hagiographies by comparison.
    I think he has one called the Holy Trinity which has three bios one on Parker, Parkin and the other was a Somerset Amateur (can't think of his name, something Macbrant?), which was the best of the three, although they are all good

  13. #1483
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Cloud Cuckoo Land
    Posts
    11,831
    Foot is very good with flawed characters - he also wrote a splendid biography of Harold Gimblett and a couple of collections of biographical essays, "Fragments of Idolatory" and "Beyond Bat and Ball"

  14. #1484
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Foot is very good with flawed characters - he also wrote a splendid biography of Harold Gimblett and a couple of collections of biographical essays, "Fragments of Idolatory" and "Beyond Bat and Ball"
    I enjoyed them all, very good writer

  15. #1485
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,726
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I think he has one called the Holy Trinity which has three bios one on Parker, Parkin and the other was a Somerset Amateur (can't think of his name, something Macbrant?), which was the best of the three, although they are all good

    There was a Somerset player called McBryan who played in one Test in which he didn't bat or bowl - unlikely subject for a book you'd have to say.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •