Page 97 of 138 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,455 of 2060
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Just bought Clive Lloyd's latest autobiography at last....
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Gives us an idea what it is like please

Absolutely appalling book - badly written and gives little in depth insight into anything. Clive Lloyd clearly believes himself to be the best cricketer of all time and the best captain. He thinks that if Lancashire had made him captain instead of David Lloyd they would have swept all before them. He refuses to acknowledge that the bowling to Edrich and Close in 1976 was intimidatory and gets in a flap at any criticism of his fast bowlers. Although he admits to some regret regarding the the Holding and Croft incidents in New Zealand (kicking down the stumps and barging the umpire) he lays the blame for that squarely at the feet of umpire Fred Goodall who he says was not only incompetent but deliberately cheating.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Absolutely appalling book - badly written and gives little in depth insight into anything. Clive Lloyd clearly believes himself to be the best cricketer of all time and the best captain. He thinks that if Lancashire had made him captain instead of David Lloyd they would have swept all before them. He refuses to acknowledge that the bowling to Edrich and Close in 1976 was intimidatory and gets in a flap at any criticism of his fast bowlers. Although he admits to some regret regarding the the Holding and Croft incidents in New Zealand (kicking down the stumps and barging the umpire) he lays the blame for that squarely at the feet of umpire Fred Goodall who he says was not only incompetent but deliberately cheating.
    Presumably the reported beamers at Sabina Park against India in 1976 didn't get much of a mention.

http://www.hinduonnet.com/tss/tss2520/25200240.htm
    Last edited by wpdavid; 10-02-2009 at 06:27 AM.

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    Presumably the reported beamers at Sabina Park against India in 1976 didn't get much of a mention.

Sabina Park: No Holdings Barred
    The beamers weren't specifically mentioned but according to Lloyd the declarations by Bedi showed that the Indian batsman lacked guts.

U19 12th Man

Kim Hughes

Has anyone read the New biography of Kim Hughes by Christian Ryan ?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Krishna_j View Post
    Cricket Web - Cricket Books: Golden Boy
    You know it makes sense.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I might be tempted if Kim Hughes writes one himself.

U19 12th Man
    Recd today a copy OF Kersi Meher Homji's pictorial Tome on Great All -Rounders Pp 300 published by NH Aus - Has an excellent section on WK batsman - will post a small review next week

Bit disappointed to note that while it covers Tests and ODI and Daniel Vettori finds a place in the test pantheon - there is no mention of Clive Rice or Ravi Shastri

Recd today a copy OF Kersi Meher Homji's pictorial Tome on Great All -Rounders Pp 300 published by NH Aus - Has an excellent section on WK batsman - will post a small review next week

Bit disappointed to note that while it covers Tests and ODI and Daniel Vettori finds a place in the test pantheon - there is no mention of Clive Rice or Ravi Shastri
    We also have two reviews of that book on the site

U19 12th Man
    Thanks Archie -good reviews for 3.5/5 - I would have bought the book anyway even if Eddie Barlow is missing and the section on one day all rounders sadly deficient (could have fitted half the book if Michael Bevan's 36 ODI wickets qualifies him as one

Just wondering if it makes sense to have a sub-forum as Media and then the various items like Book reviews as seperate threads , YouTube clips etc as indiv threads - else firing a search does'nt always come up with the desired results on cricketweb
    Last edited by Krishna_j; 22-03-2009 at 04:22 AM.

Thanks Archie -good reviews for 3.5/5 - I would have bought the book anyway even if Eddie Barlow is missing and the section on one day all rounders sadly deficient (could have fitted half the book if Michael Bevan's 36 ODI wickets qualifies him as one

Just wondering if it makes sense to have a sub-forum as Media and then the various items like Book reviews as seperate threads , YouTube clips etc as indiv threads - else firing a search does'nt always come up with the desired results on cricketweb
    Does sound like a good idea, i will pass it on to James

International Vice-Captain Days of Grace's Avatar
    Can anyone tell me which is the best book on Victor Trumper?

And, Archie, if possible, could you give me your top 10 cricket books of all time? Would be very interested. Cheers.
    Greatest Ever Test XI: JB Hobbs, L Hutton, DG Bradman (c), IVA Richards, BC Lara, GS Sobers, AC Gilchrist (wk), Imran Khan, RJ Hadlee, MD Marshall, SK Warne 12th man: M Muralitharan

Favorite XI: WG Grace, VT Trumper, IVA Richards, DCS Compton, FMM Worrell (c), AC Gilchrist (wk), CL Cairns, SK Warne, FS Trueman, SE Bond, T Richardson 12th man: H Larwood

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Ashley Mallett's 1985 biog is quite good and very well illustrated but I think the definitive biography of Trumper has yet to be written despite Peter Sharpham publishing a book with that name, also in 1985.

You also have the choice of Jack Fingleton's late 70's effort and before that in India Vasant Raiji edited an anthology of tributes - there is also a splendid little book called "Trumper Triumphant" which is about his last century on English soil in 1909

Personally I'm waiting for Archie to turn his attention to Vic after he's finished with Clem Hill

There is a nice book by Aakash Chopra on the last season he played for Delhi in the markets. Chopra is a very good writer and this book written in diary format would be well worth a read I reckon, especially for the likes of SS,adharcric and me who have often felt he was not given a chance in the team when he might have ought to.

There is also a biography on Gavaskar out in the market. Will be interesting to get some reviews on this one.
    Last edited by Pratters; 28-03-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    Can anyone tell me which is the best book on Victor Trumper?

And, Archie, if possible, could you give me your top 10 cricket books of all time? Would be very interested. Cheers.
    I agree with Fred re- Trumper

But as for attempting one on Vic after I finish the one on Clem, I don't think I have the energy

I am stuck on Genealogy, anyone know anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Days of Grace View Post
    I think I could have picked another ten, and still been happy with my selections

OK Fred your turn

Summer Game by Gideon Haigh

An English Hero by Iain Wilton

Wally Hammond by David Foot

Great Characters from Crickets Golden Age by Jeremy Mailes

Days in The Sun by Neville Cardus

Captain of The Crowd by Tony Laughton

P.G.H. Fender by Richard Streeton

Talks with Old English Cricketers by 'Old Ebor'

Basil D'Olivera by Peter Oborne

Silence of The Heart by David Frith

Page 97 of 138 FirstFirst ... 47879596979899107 ... LastLast