• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Am just reading 'Standing My Ground' and finding it pretty enjoyable. Hayden gives some good insights into happenings during his career and some of the tidbits he gives regarding different players and certain things they said or did is very interesting.

archie mac

International Coach
Am just reading 'Standing My Ground' and finding it pretty enjoyable. Hayden gives some good insights into happenings during his career and some of the tidbits he gives regarding different players and certain things they said or did is very interesting.
I reviewed it for the site, not a bad read:)

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I spotted a small obituary in the Times the other day for Ralph Barker, who wrote a number of cricket books. Aged 93 I think.

archie mac

International Coach
I spotted a small obituary in the Times the other day for Ralph Barker, who wrote a number of cricket books. Aged 93 I think.
I have been checking Wisden for his obituary for a few years. The best of all the cricket writers for generating excitement and the feeling of being at the match:)

Days of Grace

International Captain
I just ordered "Cardus on Cricket" from amazon.

Also, does anyone know the best cricket books on players/tours from the Golden age?

fredfertang

"Stoddy's Mission", also by said Mr Frith, is an excellent account of the 1894/95 series in Australia

And if you've got a few quid and can track down a copy I'd certainly recommend this very special book

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ordered the Harold Larwood book by Duncan Hamilton after reading the CW review of it. Hopefully it lives up to expectations.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
best books on cricket

what are the best books on cricket that u read? it can be by a cricketer, or a journalist or anyone for that matter...if anyone can post links of some materials of those books, it would be even better...

archie mac

International Coach
what are the best books on cricket that u read? it can be by a cricketer, or a journalist or anyone for that matter...if anyone can post links of some materials of those books, it would be even better...
Maybe you could go through the reviews on the front page in the book section:happy:

Pothas

Finished Twirlymen by Amol Rajan recently, excellent read written with real passion, particularly liked the first few chapters including the one on Barnes who Rajan considers very much part of the spin tradition. An excellent passage on Valentine and Ramadhin was also a highlight. It is not especially long and covers an awful so not a great amount of detail on some players but certainly serves as a good introduction for anyone interested in spin bowling.

He does seem to have a real aversion to pace bowlers though and sometimes the writing grated a little bit, describing Vettori and Herath as 'remarkable' or something similar was seemed a little effusive but these were small problems in a very enjoyable read.