Cricket Player Manager
Page 92 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast
Results 1,366 to 1,380 of 2120
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    The Doug Walters story, assessed by Stuart and Archie. I'd like to get hold of this one, don't know how readily available it will be here though.
    They released the last book by Mallett in England, and changed the DJ from an older to a younger Chappelli. So could be a fair chance
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Sing all a Green Willow, is not for everyone, I hope you enjoy it!
    I've practically finished it. A wonderful book. He's a captivating writer with a marvellous turn of phrase. For instance his description of Hants being on the receiving end of "a horrible walloping". I loved that.

Any recent recommendations Archie?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    The Doug Walters story, assessed by Stuart and Archie. I'd like to get hold of this one, don't know how readily available it will be here though.
    I really don't understand economics - the is really weak against the US$ and Euro yet perversely is strong against the AUS$ which is my way of saying in Roger Page's latest catalogue its around 12 - postage for one book is a few quid more but spread the cost around a few more items from his excellent stock and it's not too bad at all - if your interested David I'll scan you a copy of his latest and mail it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    I've practically finished it. A wonderful book. He's a captivating writer with a marvellous turn of phrase. For instance his description of Hants being on the receiving end of "a horrible walloping". I loved that.
    Glad that you liked it, it is not for everyone, but well worth a read for the experienced cricket book reader.

He is a fine academic writer; I think I only had to use my dictionary 50 times

Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Any recent recommendations Archie?
    The Jack Fingleton bio was a fine read, lots of things on Bradman (but not the same old sycophant type stuff)

Also Captain of The Crowd the bio of the 'Surrey Poet' is one of the best books I have ever read, page after page of things I did not know

Zaremba have you read A La Recherche Du Cricket Perdu yet?

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    I really don't understand economics - the is really weak against the US$ and Euro yet perversely is strong against the AUS$ which is my way of saying in Roger Page's latest catalogue its around 12 - postage for one book is a few quid more but spread the cost around a few more items from his excellent stock and it's not too bad at all - if your interested David I'll scan you a copy of his latest and mail it to you.
    Yeah, that'd be worth a look I'm sure. What do you need, an e-mail address? You should be able to find it at the 'other' forum (I'm not allowed to mention it by name on here but I know you're a member).

The Jack Fingleton bio was a fine read, lots of things on Bradman (but not the same old sycophant type stuff)

Also Captain of The Crowd the bio of the 'Surrey Poet' is one of the best books I have ever read, page after page of things I did not know
    Thanks Archie.

Not yet got round to reading A La Recherche du Cricket Perdu. I have to admit that my cricket book reading goes in spurts. Sometimes I immerse myself in cricket reading, and at other times I give myself a break. Otherwise I can get cricket cabin fever and start to lose touch with reality altogether. I'm just re-entering the "immersion" phase and will get through Cricket Perdu next.

Yeah, that'd be worth a look I'm sure. What do you need, an e-mail address? You should be able to find it at the 'other' forum (I'm not allowed to mention it by name on here but I know you're a member).
    Why can't you mention www.wisdens.org? I'm sure I've mentioned it before and incurred no one's wrath - or do the mods not venture to this thread?

Anyway all of their PM/email facilities are switched off or knackered so you'll have to tell me - perhaps the staff forum is the best place?

The original is certainly an excellent read not least because, as you both say, it is a volume of rounded autobiography rather than a purely cricketing one.

Is it just a faithful reprint of the original? – in some ways it’s a bit of a shame if it is as it could easily have included reprints of one or more of/extracts from those wonderful books of caricatures that Mailey produced throughout the 20’s and early 30’s and which are so difficult to acquire these days. I have managed to track most of them down now but unfortunately since Mrs Fertang caught a glimpse of the 295 price tag on one of them my book buying activities have been more closely monitored and there at least two that still elude me – the material in them definitely deserves a wider audience than it will ever get now all the booklets are salted away in collectors hands.

School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Nice review Arch

The original is certainly an excellent read not least because, as you both say, it is a volume of rounded autobiography rather than a purely cricketing one.

Is it just a faithful reprint of the original? in some ways its a bit of a shame if it is as it could easily have included reprints of one or more of/extracts from those wonderful books of caricatures that Mailey produced throughout the 20s and early 30s and which are so difficult to acquire these days. I have managed to track most of them down now but unfortunately since Mrs Fertang caught a glimpse of the 295 price tag on one of them my book buying activities have been more closely monitored and there at least two that still elude me the material in them definitely deserves a wider audience than it will ever get now all the booklets are salted away in collectors hands.
    Yes, the only new thing is a forward by Mike Coward, but otherwise it is pretty much a straight reprint. It would be great if they reprinted those others, I only own the one from the 1950s, as i just can't afford the others, although I was just outbid for one on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gregory View Post
    Nice review Arch
    Thanks mate, I think we are working well together,I did not know about title connection with the Mailey book

Yes, the only new thing is a forward by Mike Coward, but otherwise it is pretty much a straight reprint. It would be great if they reprinted those others, I only own the one from the 1950s, as i just can't afford the others, although I was just outbid for one on ebay
    Not me honest Arch - which one was it and what did it go for?

Not a book, but a wonderful piece of cricket writing. It's the opening paragraph of a judgment given by Lord Denning in the case of Miller v Jackson. Some of you (well, fredfertang at least) will be familiar with it. For those that aren't, here it is.

"In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last 70 years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practise while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there any more. He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that when a batsman hits a six the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at week-ends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the judge to stop the cricket being played. And the judge, much against his will, has felt that he must order the cricket to be stopped: with the consequence, I suppose, that the Lintz Cricket Club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground."

Genius.

Not me honest Arch - which one was it and what did it go for?
    I will have to look it up, although from memory it was "meet the Australians" from the 1920s it went for around $300 aus

Page 92 of 142 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102 ... LastLast

Thread Information