Warner did write the only ever account of the 4-1 victory by South Africa over his side in 1905/06 which first brought out their quartet of googly bowlers - a fascinating and sadly neglected byway of cricket history. As I say Warner was no Percy Fender with his pen but his book is all there is and therefore important.
- My Cricketing Life
- FIGHT FOR THE ASHES IN 1930, THE
- ENGLAND V AUSTRALIA 1912
- Cricket Memories By a Country Vicar
- M.C.C. IN SOUTH AFRICA, The (1905-06)
- Fight for the Ashes 1930, The
- How We Recovered the Ashes (1903-04)
- Cricket Reminiscences
- Book of Cricket, The
- Cricket Between Two Wars
- Lord's - 1787-1945
- Oxford & Cambridge at the wicket
The last one is written jointly with FS Ashley Cooper.
Just one now, I got the 1948 yesterday. I may not bother with the '46 for a while though as it's usually quite pricey and doesn't actually report on any cricket except for the three 'Victory' Tests.
I doubt if I'll venture back before 1940 as they're already taking up four shelves, it's hard enough finding room for the new one every year.
Fredfertang is the man to talk to on all matters Wisden.
Last edited by stumpski; 21-10-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Here you are :-
Code:AUTHOR TITLE COVER SWANTON Jim History of Cricket. A Vol 2 Hardback ARLOTT John Cricket - The Great Bowlers Hardback ARLOTT John Middle Ages of Cricket, The Hardback ARLOTT John Arlott On Cricket. Hardback BAILEY Trevor Greatest of My Time, The Hardback BRADMAN Don Art Of Cricket, The Hardback CARDUS Cricket All The Year Hardback CONSTANTINE How to Play Cricket Hardback DOUGLAS Jardine: Spartan Cricketer Paperback FINGLETON Jack Cricket Crisis Hardback FINGLETON Jack Fingleton on Cricket Hardback FRITH David Bodyline Autopsy Paperback FRY CB CRICKET - Batsmanship Hardback Guha Ramchandra Corner Of A Foreign Field, A Paperback Guha Ramchandra Picador Book of Cricket Paperback HOBBS Jack My Cricket Memories Hardback KNOTT Alan Stumper's View Hardback LUCAS EV Hambledon Men, The Hardback PEEBLES Ian Batter's Castle Hardback RAE Simon Its Not Cricket Paperback ROSS Alan Cricketer's Companion, The Hardback SWANTON Jim Barclay's World of Cricket 1 Hardback THOMSON AA Cricketers of My Times Hardback THOMSON AA Odd Men In Hardback THOMSON AA Pavilioned in Splendour Hardback WARNER Pelham Fight for the Ashes 1930 Hardback WAUGH Steve Out Of My Comfort Zone Paperback WYATT RES Ins and Outs Of Cricket, The Hardback
Okay let me write this one by one.
1. CB Fry's CRICKET - Batsmanship (First Edition 1912) - No dust Jacket - Book and binding in good condition
2. Fingleton on Cricket - (First Edition 1972) - Dust cover slightly torn and edges somewhat frayed - Book and binding in very good condition.
3. Batter's Castle by Ian Peebles - Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1959 - first edition was in 1958 - No DJ, book and binding in very good condition. Slight colour on inside two sheets, probably from the cover and moisture.
4.Stumper's View by Alan Knott - Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1974 - First edition 1973 - Dust Jacket, book and binding all in excellent condition.
5. Cricketer's of My Times -Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1968 (first edition 1967) - DJ, book and binding all in excellent condition.
6. The Fight For The Ashes-1930 by Plum Warner - First Edition from 1930 - No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.
7. My Cricket Memories by Jack Hobbs - First Edition from 1924 - No DJ, Book and binding in very good condition.
8. Middle Ages of Cricket, The by John Arlott - First Edition - No DJ - Book and binding in very good condition
9. Hambledon Men, The by EV Lucas -Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1952 (First published 1907) - No DJ - Book and Binding in very good condition.
10. Arlott on Cricket (edited by David R. Allen) - Second Print 1986 (First Published 1984) - Dust jackst, book and binding in excellent condition.
11. The Art of Cricket by Don Bradman - 1979 Edition (first published 1954) - Dust jacket frayed - Binding losened from the book which is otherwise in good condition
12. Pavillioned in Spendour by Thomson - First Edition 1956 - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ
13. A History of Cricket Vol II by Swanton - First Edition for this version (1962) - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ
14. Cricket The Great Bowlers edited by John Arlott - First edition 1968 - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ
HARDCOVERS continued ...
15. Cricket Crisis - Bodyline and Other Lines by Jack Fingleton - First Reprint four months after the first edition of Oct 1946 -No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.
16. Odd Man In by Thomson - First edition 1958 - No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.
17. How To Play Cricket by Learie Constantine - First edition for this version 1951. First Published 1949.No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition
18. Ins and Outs Of Cricket, The by RES Wyatt - First edition - No dust jacket - Book in acceptable condition - binding slightly lose.
19. Barclay's World of Cricket - Edited by Swanton - With DJ. which is frayed at the edges - otherwise in good condition.
20 and 21. BAILEY Trevor's Greatest of My Time, The and
CARDUS 's Cricket All The Year - both first editions - both without DJ, books and bindings in very good condition.
22. The Cricket Companion by Alan Ross - I just discovered that the two editions of this antholgy I have are a bit different with some articles in each not available in the other. So I think I will keep both
All of them are first editions and in very good condition but I am committed to gift all except two to Fellow CW posters. That leaves
1. Jardine the Spartan Cricketer and
2. Bodyline Autopsy.
Both first editions and in first class condition as are all my paperbacks.
Last edited by SJS; 22-10-2008 at 03:05 AM.
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)