Page 90 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast
Results 1,336 to 1,350 of 2060
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #1336
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Thanks for that. I wish there were more Pakistani players' biographies out there that were worth a read. The Wasim and Waqar one, as Archie said, doesn't go far enough into their careers, so I might give it a miss. Have you read Miandad's The Cutting Edge by any chance?
    I have a couple that I want to read, one is about Fazal, and the other about 'Z', the latter is written with David Foot so should be worth a read as he is a fine writer
    You know it makes sense.

  2. #1337
    Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Madhouse on Madison
    Posts
    14,234
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I have a couple that I want to read, one is about Fazal, and the other about 'Z', the latter is written with David Foot so should be worth a read as he is a fine writer
    Ooh, would love to read the one about Fazal and would definitely enjoy reading about Zaheer as well. I'll look those up and add them to my wishlist.

    SJS, what were your thoughts about the Miandad one?
    RIP Craigos

  3. #1338
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,054
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Thanks for that. I wish there were more Pakistani players' biographies out there that were worth a read. The Wasim and Waqar one, as Archie said, doesn't go far enough into their careers, so I might give it a miss. Have you read Miandad's The Cutting Edge by any chance?
    I have autobiographies by A H Kardar, Mushtaq and Hanif Mohammad and Waqar Hasan - I've only read Mushtaq's but enjoyed that

    I also have a slim volume about Mudassar Nazar - there is a similar one about Wallis Mathias which I don't have and have never seen but I'll track a copy down one day!

  4. #1339
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Ooh, would love to read the one about Fazal and would definitely enjoy reading about Zaheer as well. I'll look those up and add them to my wishlist.

    SJS, what were your thoughts about the Miandad one?
    Its about average. I think a better writer would have done a better job. I haven't read it from cover to cover but I have read most of it in bits and pieces. It doesn't hold my attention and this, the way I have read it, is probably an indicator of that.


  5. #1340
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Yes, that would be great

    And also, a long, long, long, time ago, you were going to review the Ian Chappell book
    Yep you're right. Would be a pleasure! Will get on to that this week.

  6. #1341
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire View Post
    Yep you're right. Would be a pleasure! Will get on to that this week.
    Cheers

  7. #1342
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    New review up about the 'new' game of 20/20 http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/5371.php

  8. #1343
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,795
    I recently took delivery of a 1947 Wisden - just two more needed for a post-war set - and noticed several adverts for books in the early pages. Three of them were works by Sir Pelham 'Plum' Warner, of which the one that interested me most was 'Lord's 1787-1945.'

    Now I haven't read anything by Warner, and I might be doing him a disservice, but I imagine he wasn't the most scintillating of writers, and said book might anyway have been superceded by Tony Lewis's offering of 1987. Has anyone read anything by him, and is his stuff worth tracking down?

  9. #1344
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,054
    Your instinct is quite correct David - some of his early tour books (those written in his playing days) are worth a few quid but his writing is just what you would expect of the "bodyline appeaser" - not a hint of controversy anywhere and he's no literary giant either - writing with nothing other than a good solid forward defensive I am afraid

  10. #1345
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,795
    Sounds like Alistair Cook's recent effort then!

  11. #1346
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    I recently took delivery of a 1947 Wisden - just two more needed for a post-war set - and noticed several adverts for books in the early pages. Three of them were works by Sir Pelham 'Plum' Warner, of which the one that interested me most was 'Lord's 1787-1945.'

    Now I haven't read anything by Warner, and I might be doing him a disservice, but I imagine he wasn't the most scintillating of writers, and said book might anyway have been superceded by Tony Lewis's offering of 1987. Has anyone read anything by him, and is his stuff worth tracking down?
    I have the following books by Warner.
    1. My Cricketing Life
    2. Lord's - 1787-1945
    3. How We Recovered the Ashes (MCC in Australia 1903-04)
    4. FIGHT FOR THE ASHES IN 1930, THE
    5. ENGLAND V AUSTRALIA 1912
    6. Cricket Reminiscences
    7. Cricket Between Two Wars
    8. Cricket
    9. Book of Cricket, The


    He is not a great writer but he brings a great historical perspective. He often claimed to have watched more first class matches and more Test matches than any man alive and no one disputed it in his time. I give great preference to reading the accounts of those who write from personal experience than those who write from research done many decades later and perhaps from accounts like those of Warner.

  12. #1347
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,054
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Sounds like Alistair Cook's recent effort then!
    surely you found his account of being a cathedral chorister absolutely compelling?

  13. #1348
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,795
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    surely you found his account of being a cathedral chorister absolutely compelling?

    He looks as if he could still be one, doesn't he ... no, I haven't invested in it I'm afraid - just going on a recent review which panned it as being bland and 'shamefully premature.' How old is he, 23?


    SJS, you probably own as many of Warner's books as anyone - I didn't even know he'd written as many as nine - I'll have a look for them in the Oval library next season (they have a loan facility there).

  14. #1349
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,264
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    He looks as if he could still be one, doesn't he ... no, I haven't invested in it I'm afraid - just going on a recent review which panned it as being bland and 'shamefully premature.' How old is he, 23?


    SJS, you probably own as many of Warner's books as anyone - I didn't even know he'd written as many as nine - I'll have a look for them in the Oval library next season (they have a loan facility there).
    Do not expect a great piece of writing.

    To me reading books written by people who played the game over a century ago is to be transported into a different time. One of my greatest pleasures was to read Jessop's autobiography, A Cricketer's log. It was , to me at least, as if Jessop was sitting across from me talking to me directly. For me that is a priceless experience which just can not be got through reading his biography, however well researched, by a latter day writer who never saw him play.

    By the way, there is a sequel to Warner's Lords 1787-1945, Diana Rait Kerr's Lord's 1946-1970. If you buy Warner's book, I would strongly suggest buying Rait Kerr's book too.

  15. #1350
    Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Posts
    12,054
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    He looks as if he could still be one, doesn't he ... no, I haven't invested in it I'm afraid - just going on a recent review which panned it as being bland and 'shamefully premature.' How old is he, 23?
    Doh!! You forced it out of me that I bought it - what a cross-examiner - have you considered a career in the law David?

    My only defence is I am a collector so I had to have it

Page 90 of 138 FirstFirst ... 40808889909192100 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •