• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
archie mac said:
They have released the Dads Army DVD series here in Aust. Am I the only one collecting them? :unsure:
They're repeated over and over again on UK Gold here.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to Archie for the South African book recommendations that I previously enquired about.

Now I’m interested in purchasing some cricket books which deal with the West Indies, preferably the side of late 70’s and 80’s and their pace quartet. Recommendations will be appreciated greatly.

stumpski

International Captain
I've just read a good one (although it is from 1994): 'Letting Rip - The Fast Bowling Threat from Lillee to Waqar' by Simon Wilde. Should be easy to find on the web.

Not just about the Windies altho' they obviously get plenty of coverage.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
stumpski said:
I've just read a good one (although it is from 1994): 'Letting Rip - The Fast Bowling Threat from Lillee to Waqar' by Simon Wilde. Should be easy to find on the web.

Not just about the Windies altho' they obviously get plenty of coverage.
Sounds good, will check that out.

archie mac

International Coach
TT Boy said:
Thanks to Archie for the South African book recommendations that I previously enquired about.

Now I’m interested in purchasing some cricket books which deal with the West Indies, preferably the side of late 70’s and 80’s and their pace quartet. Recommendations will be appreciated greatly.
Have not read that much on Windies cricket, but a couple I enjoyed:

Viv Richards by Richards and Bob Harris 2000. He tells us that "Aussie umpires are the most biased in the world" and on Craig McDermott "He screamed like a pig when the ball got above chest level"

Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman, about the 1991 (I think) Aussie tour, a tell all style book, which gives you a real feel of tourning the Islands. Caused a real storm when first released.

The Hapless Hookers by Frank Tyson About the Windies tour of OZ in 1975/76, maybe a little dated, but I loved this book as a kid.

The Cricket War by Gideon Haigh lots of information about how the Windies became the greatest team in the World and their part in WSC

Stay away from:

Courtney Heart of the Lion (Courtney Walsh) Every chance for a little controversy in the book is answered in the same way "I will not degrade West Indies cricket". Very noble, but makes for a very boring read :@

Desmond Haynes Lion of Barbados by Rob Steen, not that bad a book but Steen calls any white person who makes even the slightest hint that the Windies may take intimidation too far "as Racists" Which ends up as the entire Aust team, David Frith and even CMJ 8-)

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Pakistan book

Has anyone read Mushtaq Mohd autobiography "Hitting Out"

- I glanced at a copy during a visit to Lords at the cricket shop recently and it was steeply priced at 16 Quid - however it looked very promising and am waiting for an asian edition

Mushtaq was one of the mercurial ***** from the 70's - a great personality and match winner and it would be interesting to read about his life and times

archie mac

International Coach
Krishna_j said:
Has anyone read Mushtaq Mohd autobiography "Hitting Out"

- I glanced at a copy during a visit to Lords at the cricket shop recently and it was steeply priced at 16 Quid - however it looked very promising and am waiting for an asian edition

Mushtaq was one of the mercurial ***** from the 70's - a great personality and match winner and it would be interesting to read about his life and times
No have not seen that one here in Aust. but he played a lot of cricket, including county cricket, and I always liked the way he batted.

Let us know if you buy a copy :)

open365

International Vice-Captain
I've just finished 'you must like cricket?' By Souyma Batachatcharya(or w/e)

Great book, a bit short maybe, but gives a great explanation of the meaning of cricket in India,.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
Someone asked for books on windies cricket during 80's

- I would recommend Geoof Boycott's book "In the Fast Lane" -eng's tour of WI 1981 in which he describes in detail and analyses the strengths of the windies quartet Roberts ,Holding Croft, Garner and also on sundry Windies stars like Rowe , King etc

There is also a detailed Aus book on all the fast bowlers - will need to check the author's name - covered all the Windies pacers

archie mac

International Coach
open365 said:
I've just finished 'you must like cricket?' By Souyma Batachatcharya(or w/e)

Great book, a bit short maybe, but gives a great explanation of the meaning of cricket in India,.
Could you write a review for the site?

Edit:I know you could, but would you like too? :D

Edit: I know you would like too, but are you going too?:laugh:

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
The Aus book on pacers is titled :

Fast and Furious. A celebration of Cricket's pace bowlers by Grantlee Kieza which covers all the key pacers from 1900-1990 with some superb photos

Also Mikey's book "whispering death" - gives a good a/c of windies cricket during 70's-80's

Matt79

Global Moderator
I halfway through Armstrong's 100 Greatest Cricketers. I have to say I'm enjoying it and finding it more interesting than other "list of best cricketers ever" books, like the ESPN book of a few years ago. I think I like it so much because he's picked his hundred as 9 XIs, with one "100th man" to round it out - picking a 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th XI etc is a peculiar and abiding fascination for me and I'm enjoying seeing someone else do it.

Unlike the ESPN book, or even Perry's Bradman XI's books, he actually provides some discussion as to why he ranks some players higher than others, whilst always flagging that he fully expects people to disagree. Also he has achieved so far a good balance between modern, post-war, between the wars, and 'Golden Age' players. I'm certainly learning about some players I hadn't previously read much about.

Matt79

Global Moderator
On the other hand, I saw that Ponting's "Captain Diary 2006 - The Road to the Ashes" is out in the store today.

What the hell? If its out now, its obviously not including the Champion's Trophy, or probably the Malaysian series, so what does it cover? A three test tour of South Africa, a very high scoring ODI, a two test tour of Bangladesh, and a boot camp that Warnie disliked. How does that get padded out to 300 pages? The rest must be filled with random musings from Ponting. "I've often wondered why they call it tooth paste. It's not made out of teeth, and its no good for sticking things together either - I've tried"

Shudder.