• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

stumpski

International Captain
Just thought I'd disinter this from the mire of page 8 to mention that the Alan Gibson anthology, Of Didcot and the Demon, has been awarded a rare five-star review in the Wisden Cricketer magazine. Don't suppose anyone has it yet? Been around for a month or two. Couldn't order it at the suggested website (although they're still flogging Trescothick's Coming Back to Me or whatever it was called), so will try on the phone next week.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
It has taken me long enough but I got 'No Coward Soul' yesterday.

Loving it. I keep thinking "I dont know a book with so much fascinating information in the first 20 pages" then the same with 40 pages, 60 pages, 100 pages etc.

I am biased towards this type of topic but it is very revealing and Appleyard offers some interesting and balanced opinions on the game today.

archie mac

International Coach
Just purchased "A Corner of a Foreign Field" by Guha on ebay. Very much looking forward to it.
Have you started it yet mate? A fine read:cool:

I read this book just before I read the bio of Lord Harris, and after reading both I thoght Guha was a bit hard on his Lordship:-O

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have just finished "Harold Larwood" by Duncan Hamilton. From start to finish it reeks of fanboyism and hero worship. It reads as a tribute rather than a balanced account of his life.

However, thats ok by me as Im a Larwood fanboy and this book hit its audience. I wanted validation for why I hold this man dear. I wanted to feel a greater attachment to an unassuming, working class man riddled with flaws but flaws that made him more human and vulnerable. I wanted to understand the insecurities and foibles of a man once wrongly labeled a monster. It did all that.

Maybe more importantly, I’ve read lots of cricket books but this is the first that makes me look at old people, in general, differently. Too often we see them as stooping, wrinkled and shrunken figures and forget that they had a past and were once young, virile and strong. Next time you see an old person shuffle awkwardly down the street, remember that they could once have changed the world just like a quite, anonymous old man that lived in a sleepy Sydney suburb did.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Started reading it myself a few weeks ago but had to be put on hold because of an increase in Uni work, will look to carry on in a couple of weeks. Got to start reading for my cricket related essay in June as well, got a stack of books to get through

chasingthedon

International Regular
I have just finished "Harold Larwood" by Duncan Hamilton. From start to finish it reeks of fanboyism and hero worship. It reads as a tribute rather than a balanced account of his life.

However, thats ok by me as Im a Larwood fanboy and this book hit its audience. I wanted validation for why I hold this man dear. I wanted to feel a greater attachment to an unassuming, working class man riddled with flaws but flaws that made him more human and vulnerable. I wanted to understand the insecurities and foibles of a man once wrongly labeled a monster. It did all that.

Maybe more importantly, I’ve read lots of cricket books but this is the first that makes me look at old people, in general, differently. Too often we see them as stooping, wrinkled and shrunken figures and forget that they had a past and were once young, virile and strong. Next time you see an old person shuffle awkwardly down the street, remember that they could once have changed the world just like a quite, anonymous old man that lived in a sleepy Sydney suburb did.
Nice sentiment Goughy.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Just want to thank the review team - Archie, Fredfertang and others for the work they put in week in and week out. My favorite section on cw is the cw books review section and I look forward to reading about a new book every time.

archie mac

International Coach
Just want to thank the review team - Archie, Fredfertang and others for the work they put in week in and week out. My favorite section on cw is the cw books review section and I look forward to reading about a new book every time.
Thanks for that mate, great to get some positive feedback:cool:

stumpski

International Captain

Good to know it's not only the other members of the review team who read them. :D

neville cardus

International Debutant
GoodReads

A proposition, if I may, to those among you (especially the likes of Archie, Swaranjeet and Oliver, whose stuff I should dearly like to see) looking for a bother-free means of cataloguing your libraries.

For the most part, it's as simple as entering an ISBN.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
A proposition, if I may, to those among you (especially the likes of Archie, Swaranjeet and Oliver, whose stuff I should dearly like to see) looking for a bother-free means of cataloguing your libraries.

For the most part, it's as simple as entering an ISBN.
I suggested a similar thing in off topic book thread I think. Good Reads is excellent. I often use it. Best site for books. Would me nice if others join it.