• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Days of Grace

International Captain
Can someone please tell me the best book for reading about the Golden age of cricket? Whether a biography like C.B. Fry or an actual written account of the age.

Wish someone would write a decent biography of Trumper, tbh.

bagapath

International Captain
anyone has a copy of "10 for 66 and all that"? would like to buy it if it doesnt cost a bomb. also "farewell to cricket"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can someone please tell me the best book for reading about the Golden age of cricket? Whether a biography like C.B. Fry or an actual written account of the age.

My favourite book on the Golden Age of Cricket is A A Thomson's Cricket - The Golden Ages.. Its a lovely book.

On Trumper, unfortunately there are no contemporary biographies (written by someone who saw him and/or played in his time) in the form of full length book. The best you can do is read two chapter's on Trumper (Victor Trumper and Trumper's Genius) by MA Noble in his book The Game's The Thing.

As a book written by a latter day cricketer, I would recommend Fingleton's "Victor Trumper". Fingleton also has fabulous articles on Trumper in his books Fingleton on Cricket and Masters of Cricket.

If you manage to read all this you dont need more reading on Trumper although their are beautiful pieces of prose on his batting by others including Cardus and Batchelor.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
anyone has a copy of "10 for 66 and all that"? would like to buy it if it doesnt cost a bomb. also "farewell to cricket"
Good books those two, particularly the Mailey one - shouldn't cost you too much, as long as you're not after the signed leather bound limited edition of the Bradman one of course :)

This is what you're looking for (although the Mailey has been republished recently)

[/IMG]

archie mac

International Coach

There is one by David Frith which is a pictorial book, but with quite a lot of text. From memory it is called Cricket the Golden Age. I have read it at least 12 times:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Got The Greatest by Malcolm Knox for Xmas today. Looks a decent read, covering stuff at a pretty general level.

neville cardus

International Debutant
My favourite book on the Golden Age of Cricket is A A Thomson's Cricket - The Golden Ages.. Its a lovely book.
Nothing Thomson wrote was anything less than lovely, but this one I found to be well below the gold standard he struck in the likes of Odd Men In and Cricket My Pleasure. It has probably the same problem as Hirst and Rhodes, in that its author was a far more gifted rambler than he was a plotter or a chronologist. Much like Robertson-Glasgow and Harry East, in fact, he was at his best when he was at his freest.

If you manage to read all this you dont need more reading on Trumper although their are beautiful pieces of prose on his batting by others including Cardus and Batchelor.
The latter being criminally underrated.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Nothing Thomson wrote was anything less than lovely, but this one I found to be well below the gold standard struck in the likes of Odd Men In and Cricket My Pleasure. It probably suffers the same problem as Hirst and Rhodes, in that its author was a far more gifted rambler than he was a plotter or a chronologist. Much like Robertson-Glasgow and Harry East, he was at his best when he was at his freest.

The latter being criminally underrated.
Cant say I disagree with much of that. I still cant recall anything I have read on the Golden Age, large enough to be the subject of a book, which is better. There are plenty of good articles of course.

By the way, where have you been hiding my friend ?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mike Down's biography of MacLaren and Simon Wilde's of Ranji both give a flavour of the Golden Age that books that deal solely with the cricket don't - they're far from the only ones but are possibly the best

archie mac

International Coach
Mike Down's biography of MacLaren and Simon Wilde's of Ranji both give a flavour of the Golden Age that books that deal solely with the cricket don't - they're far from the only ones but are possibly the best
Wilton on Fry was also very good:)

Yet to read the Ranji effort but will have to find a copy

two-thirds of the way through Willow Wand, great read:cool: