• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

archie mac

International Coach
Came across a copy while browsing in Shakespeare & Co, a bookshop on the left bank of the Seine. Shouldn't have been too surprised really - all of the books are English language.
There is a limited edition of this book which is worth quite a bit, it is my dream that I will find one cheap at a 2nd hand book store one day:)

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Bound in quarter morocco, all edges gilt, with slip case in numbered limited edition of 100 copies signed by Arlott and Cardus - last copy I saw a mere £750 :blink:

stumpski

International Captain
Never mind, I just wanted to know which of the two books I've received to start reading first. Looks like I made the right choice anyway. A week should be OK I would think.

chasingthedon

International Regular
Thanks for the tip on eBay oz, Sean

Just received the Charles Davis book (which I notice came up in a recent thread) - looking forward to dissecting it. I notice the sender was David J Taylor - is that stumpski or just a coincidence?

stumpski

International Captain
Just received the Charles Davis book (which I notice came up in a recent thread) - looking forward to dissecting it. I notice the sender was David J Taylor - is that stumpski or just a coincidence?
Haha, close - but no cigar (well, different middle initial) :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Reading Jason Gillespie's 'autobiography' at the moment. Pretty prosaic, reads more like a tour diary - "played NSW, took 2/42, had a niggle in my back, needed a jab", is pretty much the gist of it. He seems to have generally avoided politics in his career, or at least in this account and his comments on other teams are what you'd expect - "good player, bit hard to find for a drink after the game". He does throw in a couple pf interesting lines that deviate from the team public lines at the time, but they're usually one off lines that only tantalize - he reckons a fair chunk of the dressing room were by the end of Taylor's batting slump unimpressed that he had kept his place and that Steve Waugh resumed bowling at the end of his career in a bid to stave of being axed, and was unsure whether the selectors had told him to do so and said he doubted whether it had been a good move for the team.

Does highlight how many injury concerns the poor bloke had and how often he played with niggles - something that given most autobiogs are of non-fast bowlers i hadn't appreciated enough probably. Haven't got up to 2005 yet, should be some interesting stuff there.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
As promised these are a list of cricket books up for sale. CW has first dibs then I'll put them on ebay. No set price, happy for anything reasonable. Also happy to ship o/s.

200 Seasons of Australian Cricket - Various
1882 - 1982 The Ashes Centenary Series - Various
The Joy of Cricket - edited by John Bright-Holmes
A Majestic Innings - CLR James
Farewell to Cricket - Don Bradman
Days in the Sun - Neville Cardus
Autobiography - Neville Cardus
Out of My Comfort Zone - Steve Waugh
Test Team of the Century - edited by Garrie Huchinson
The Complete Who's Who of Test Cricketers - Christopher Martin Jenkins
Bradman's Best - Roland Perry
The Summer Game - Gideon Haigh
Game for Anything - Gideon Haigh
Cricket's Colosseum, 125 years of cricket at the MCG - Ken Piesse
Caps, Hats and Helmets - Max Walker
All Out, the Ashes 2006/07 - Gideon Haigh
Peter the Lord's Cat and other unexpected obituraries - Gideon Haigh
The Don - Roland Perry
The Big Ship - Gideon Haigh
The Great Captains - AA Thomson
Endless Summer, 140 years of cricket in Wisden - Edited by Gideon Haigh
A Pictoral History of Australian Cricket - Jack Pollard
The Ashes, a celebration - Roland Perry
The Game is Not The Same - Alan McGilvray
Close of Play - Neville Cardus
Cricket All The Year - Neville Cardus
Cricket Gallery - edited by David Firth
Neville Cardus - English Cricket
WG Grace - Simon Rae
Beyond a Boundary - CLR James
Captain's Diary 2007 - Ricky Ponting
Wearing the Baggy Green, Australian Cricket Encyclopedia - Ian Ferguson
Match of My Life, The Ashes, 12 legends reveal their favourite Tests - various
An Australian Summer, The Story of the 1989/1990 Ashes Series - Christopher Martin Jenkins & Charles de Lise
A Fair Field and No Favour, The Ashes 2005 - Gideon Haigh
The Greatest Ashes Players - Murray McPherson
Pocket Wisden 2002/03
Flying Stumps - Ray Lindwall
According to Skull - Kerry O'Keefe
A History of Australian Cricket - Chris Harte
Cricket Kings - WIlliam McInnes
Miller's Luck - Roland Perry
Captain's Diary 2002 - Steve Waugh
On Ya Wanie - Ken Piesse
One Day Magic - Dean Jones (signed)
The Lion Bay, How Australia Defended the Ashes 1990-1991 - Phillip Derriman
World Cup Diary 1996 - Steve Waugh
Are these still available and what kind of binding is it? I could be interested in some.

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ It's livening up. He also says that both Murali and Akhtar are chuckers and said of the Aussie team he was a part of: "we're good front runners but that when things don't go our way, we lose our rag a bit too much. I think we've set such a high standard over the years that when we don't get the rub of the green, we carry on and spit the odd dummy".

Was also honest enough to label Pontings decision to bowl at Edgbaston in 05 as the worst call at a toss he's ever seen, together with Hussain's decision at the Gabba in 02.

And had another crack at Waugh regarding some 'selfish' decisions in his last year as skipper and his 'retirement' tour vs India.

And it has my new alltime favourite quote from an autobiography - "Being freaked out by monkeys became second nature to me."

Last edited:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
^^ It's livening up. He also says that both Murali and Akhtar are chuckers and said of the Aussie team he was a part of: "we're good front runners but that when things don't go our way, we lose our rag a bit too much. I think we've set such a high standard over the years that when we don't get the rub of the green, we carry on and spit the odd dummy".

Was also honest enough to label Pontings decision to bowl at Edgbaston in 05 as the worst call at a toss he's ever seen, together with Hussain's decision at the Gabba in 02.

And had another crack at Waugh regarding some 'selfish' decisions in his last year as skipper and his 'retirement' tour vs India.

And it has my new alltime favourite quote from an autobiography - "Being freaked out by monkeys became second nature to me."
Ponting decision to bowl first in that test has always been overexaggerated for me. Hussain though was certainly dumb.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Interestingly though, apparently Waugh said he'd have bowled too, whereas at Edgbaston you can actually see Vaughan smile when Ponting chooses to bowl

Matt79

Global Moderator
Halfway through Paul Barry's Spun Out. Think Archie's review on the site has hit a number of the nails on their head. I'm enjoying it, but I automatically get annoyed when the author tells you his conclusions at the start and then unapologetically structures his book to make the case for that conclusion. Not disputing the things he's said about Warne to date, but its the tone that somewhat annoys me.

On the other hand, its nice to read a book about cricket not written by an 'insider' where they're prepared to call a spade a spade and not worry about trying to stay sweet with their mates.