• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I quite enjoyed it Brumbers - anything about Hawke makes me chuckle - I can't help but imagine meeting him, encouraging him to wax lyrical about God's own county and watching the apoplectic reaction when I ask him where he was born

Coldham wrote a biography of FS Jackson too, which is pretty good, and his father, also James, wrote one of Lord Harris .................... and a short (as you'd expect) history of German cricket

archie mac

International Coach
Just picked up a bio of Lord Hawke (imaginatively titled "Lord Hawke") by James P Coldham for a song. Don't know the author at all. Anyone read it or any of his stuff?
I quite enjoyed it Brumbers - anything about Hawke makes me chuckle - I can't help but imagine meeting him, encouraging him to wax lyrical about God's own county and watching the apoplectic reaction when I ask him where he was born

Coldham wrote a biography of FS Jackson too, which is pretty good, and his father, also James, wrote one of Lord Harris .................... and a short (as you'd expect) history of German cricket
I also quite enjoyed it:)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Anyone know of any books about Sydney Barnes?. Up to this day although his achievments as a bowler a so great, i struggle to see the logic behind picking him in ENG ATXI over the likes of Larwood, Snow or Statham (presuming Trueman would be everyone's first choice quick).

Since i always look at it these teams in a hypotetical sense i.e.."How would Barnes be able to stand up to a Viv Richards or bowl on flat sub-continent decks"

So i feel i need to more material on the great man.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just about to start Beyond a Boundary which arrived via ebay this week. Thanks to all for your suggestions on how to get it, and to SJS for your kind offer.

OT, but I'm just finishing up Norman Mailer's The Fight about Ali-Foreman. Not cricket of course, but I'd recommend it to anyone. First couple of chapters pretty self-indulgent, but ot gets better and abetter as it goes along.

Pothas

Finally got my hands on a copy of "Mystery Spinner" by Gideon Haigh, without spending $60+ on Ebay. Has been my white whale in second hand book shops for three years now.
About 150 pages through,managed to get it for £3 on Amazon marketplace and it is a fantastic read. Have not read many cricket biographies but I think few I will read in the future will be as good as this. Has certainly made me more likely to read cricket books in the future though.

pasag

RTDAS
Thinking of selling a fair bit of my collection, quite a few new books in there as well. Going to keep the Cardus and Haigh books, but aside from that all fair game. Guess ebay is the best choice to flog them?

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thinking of selling a fair bit of my collection, quite a few new books in there as well. Going to keep the Cardus and Haigh books, but aside from that all fair game. Guess ebay is the best choice to flog them?
Or Alibris, but eBay is probably easier.

archie mac

International Coach
Are you allowed to list them here first mate?:unsure:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I have just finished rating the book suppliers I have bought more than once from. The rating is based on time taken for delivery to India. So if there is a book seller in your own country you will surely have better experience :)

Code:
[B]Book store	Country	RANKING[/B]

Ian Dyer	UK	EXCELLENT
Dorset Rare	UK	EXCELLENT
Martin Hanks	UK	EXCELLENT

BRIMSTONES	UK	VERY GOOD
Inkt           	UK	VERY GOOD
Silver Trees	UK	VERY GOOD
G&J CHESTERS	UK	VERY GOOD
Still Water	UK	VERY GOOD
World of Books	UK	VERY GOOD

Bookbarn 	UK	GOOD
JW McKenzie	UK	GOOD
Fairandfast	UK	GOOD
Quartermelon	UK	GOOD

Christison Rare	SAF	AVERAGE
Arcadia     	AUS	AVERAGE
Book Lore	AUS	AVERAGE

Books & Bobs	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
Greener Books	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
SonnetsAnd 
 Symphonies	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
LongRead 	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
Bookzone-
 Bracknell	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
Lost for Words	NZL	BELOW AVERAGE
Godley      	UK	BELOW AVERAGE
Internet-
 Bookshop	UK	BELOW AVERAGE

Hindsight	NZL	POOR
St Marys	UK	POOR
[COLOR="DarkRed"]Matheson-
 Sports 	NZL	POOR[/COLOR]
J.R.YOUNG  	UK	POOR

[COLOR="DarkRed"]Victoria	UK	TERRIBLE
Hummingbird	UK	TERRIBLE
Huxley's	SAF	TERRIBLE
Panda Books	UK	TERRIBLE[/COLOR]
The average delivery times in days are
  • Excellent : 5 to 10
  • Very Good : 10 to 15
  • Good : 15 to 20
  • Average : 20 to 30
  • Below Average : 30 to 45
  • Poor : 45 to 60
  • Terrible : 60 to 100

PS : I am inclined to put Matheson Sports in the terrible category since after a very good start their service has really declined. Three of the books sent by tehm in April and May are still to arrive !!

Last edited:

Pothas

Just finnished Mystery Spinner which was a great read, only recently started reading cricket books but have lots to get through now (hoping this does not detract from reading for my MA which starts tomorow.)

Took advantage of book store closure to pick up some really cheap books, got Treso's book and Peter Oborne#s book on Basi Doliveria, will start one of these later today.

Pothas

I have just started an MA in History and we need to write an essay on anything we like which includes some kind of method of historical research, thought I would take the oportunity to write something about cricket, my first idea was to compare the lives, careers and attitudes of gentlemen and professionals in the so called golden age of English, cricket. ideally through the lives of two players. Would be a huge help if anyone (probably SJS or archie mac) would be able to recomend books in general about the Golden age and more importantly any diaries or autobiographies written by players during this era?

I have already bought The Golden Age of Cricket, 1890-1914 by David Frith and Great Characters from Cricket's Golden Age by Jeremy Malies and am awaiting their delivery but any recomendations would be fantastic.

Last edited:

fredfertang

David Frith and George Plumptre have both written books called "The Golden Age of Cricket" which deal with it generally and which should be easily available

Jeremy Malies has written a book called "Great Cricketers of the Golden Age" which is a series of player profiles which again isn't difficult to find

All the major characters have been the subject of at least one biography - if any specific individuals interest you let me know and I'll tell you what there is about - autobiographies are thinner on the ground but there are a few around

Pothas

Thanks, it is all pretty hazy at the moment as term has just started and nothing has to be written anytime soon and I do not have to finalise my topic until December. It has to incude investigation of primary sources so autopbiographies are key and newspaper articles from the time are key.

fredfertang

There is a book called "Chats from the Cricket Field" by WA Bettesworth which was published in 1910 and which is a collection of interviews with cricketers from the previous 20 years which has a real period feel to it - trouble is like almost all cricket books of that vintage its not cheap - still depending on where you're located if the time comes I may be prepared to admit you to the fertang library