• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
No I haven't really. That should be really interesting. Must look for it.
Well seeing it, i now see why you rate Vishwanath so highly. His technique really was textbook.

Also it has clips of Amar Singh bowling (no Nissar unfortunately), he looked like a poor man's Alec Bedser. Based on that i don't think i could have him in all-time IND XI over Srinath or Zaheer over the past couple years, as back-up quicks to Dev.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Just started on Duncan Fletcher's autobiography. Am up to the point where he has taken the England job and he's talking about Boycott dissing him in the press.

Interesting read so far anyway, the man has quite the ego though, even more than I realised.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just started on Duncan Fletcher's autobiography. Am up to the point where he has taken the England job and he's talking about Boycott dissing him in the press.

Interesting read so far anyway, the man has quite the ego though, even more than I realised.
IIRC Boycott is unique amongst those who pissed Fletcher off but did not apologise to him – what sticks in the memory about that book is the catalogue of folk who crossed him but, to their credit (his invariable comment), apologised when they realised he was right and they were wrong – to name a few of the contrite

Barry Dudleston
Matthew Maynard
Phil Tufnell
Michael Parkinson
Nasser Hussain
C M-J
David Graveney
Rod Marsh

When you’ve finished let me know how many I’ve forgotten

I found it a decent read but it leaves the impression that Fletcher is a really sour and miserable bastard

…… and wasn’t there a bit where he was still griping about not being cricket captain at school or something similar?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Um I think it was more he was saying how surprised he was to be made school captain wasn't he?

Gotta say though, I liked his point about Australia being crap in the 80s and that this caused England problems through the 90s because we overrated ourselves by winning the Ashes. Bet Richard loved that bit (if he's read it)

Guy talks fascinatingly on cricket and knows the game well, but he really does rate himself highly. I knew that from the Ashes regained book anyway, but so far the whole thing is like one big pat on the back. Still interesting, but it might get a bit nauseating when I get to the bit when we win six series in a row.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Um I think it was more he was saying how surprised he was to be made school captain wasn't he?

Gotta say though, I liked his point about Australia being crap in the 80s and that this caused England problems through the 90s because we overrated ourselves by winning the Ashes. Bet Richard loved that bit (if he's read it)

Guy talks fascinatingly on cricket and knows the game well, but he really does rate himself highly. I knew that from the Ashes regained book anyway, but so far the whole thing is like one big pat on the back. Still interesting, but it might get a bit nauseating when I get to the bit when we win six series in a row.
He strikes one a the kind of bloke to keep a list of perceived greivances. In his Guardian column (which is good value on cricket, if short on laughs) he's forever returning to his pet theories like spinners needing to be able to bat.

Anyway, have just procured Shane Warne: Portrait of a Flawed Genius by Simon Wilde, mainly 'cos it was cheap.

fredfertang

Anyway, have just procured Shane Warne: Portrait of a Flawed Genius by Simon Wilde, mainly 'cos it was cheap.
Considering the bloke (Wilde that is - not Warne), to my knowledge, has never played the game to a high standard, the first chapter is certainly an impressive, as well as unique, way to begin a biography of a cricketer

stumpski

International Captain
Wally Hammond: The Reasons Why by David Foot. This was included in the biographies feature a little while back, but Archie and I agreed that it merited a full review.

We may have mentioned him before, but has anyone read much by Alan Gibson? I've been enjoying some articles he wrote for the Times, in a collection of the paper's cricket writing entitled Double Century; I note that there is a book of his on eBay at the moment about the Tests of 1905. Any recommendations?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I have the Wally Hammond book thanks to archie who recommended it to me. Will read it some time. Will be reading Lord of the Rings and then Beyond a Boundary finally.

fredfertang

http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/5862.php

We may have mentioned him before, but has anyone read much by Alan Gibson? I've been enjoying some articles he wrote for the Times, in a collection of the paper's cricket writing entitled Double Century; I note that there is a book of his on eBay at the moment about the Tests of 1905. Any recommendations?

I'm aware of "Jackson's Year" which, as you say, is a (in fact the only) full account of the 1905 series, "The Cricket Captains of England", that is about ..... well it's self-explanatory, "Growing up with Cricket" which is autobiographical and "Dennis Silk", "Sam Cook" and "JJ" (about Jack Davey) which are biogrphical essays published by Richard Walsh Books in the 90's - he's an excellent writer - fairly gentle stuff - a comparison with AA Thomson would not be out of place - I'm sure you'll enjoy his work.

stumpski

International Captain
Thanks - I've seen the other books you mentioned on Abebooks and I'll probably get them all at some point. As I said, I enjoyed his Times pieces very much - particularly a miserable account of an evening at one of the early floodlit games (when they were played at football grounds).

This was a very good piece I thought. It appears to have been written by David Foot and, although it comes from Cricinfo's Wisden section, never actually appeared in the Almanack as far as I can tell - certainly not in the 1997, as Gibson was still alive when it was published.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Finally got my hands on a copy of "Mystery Spinner" by Gideon Haigh, without spending $60+ on Ebay. Has been my white whale in second hand book shops for three years now.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
It's a really good book, Matt, you'll enjoy it. GH really goes to town - even to the level of a bit of research into the name "Iverson".

I'd have loved to have seen him bowl.

Pothas

Reading And God created cricket by Simon Hughes. Obviously the fact that the whole history of cricket is covered in about 300 pages means there is not much detail but it is really good fun to read (especially the section cricket before the 20th century (once I got to Bradman and bodyline I have not read much new). Woud certainly recomend it to someone who has not read much on cricket history before.

stumpski

International Captain
Finally got hold of some Gibson recently; just started Jackson's Year. At the same time bought Beyond Bat and Ball by David Foot which I enjoyed and will review at some stage. Finding my current assignment rather heavy going though. :dry:

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Just picked up a bio of Lord Hawke (imaginatively titled "Lord Hawke") by James P Coldham for a song. Don't know the author at all. Anyone read it or any of his stuff?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just picked up a bio of Lord Hawke (imaginatively titled "Lord Hawke") by James P Coldham for a song. Don't know the author at all. Anyone read it or any of his stuff?
Thats the only book I have read of him. Its not a great book I am afraid.