Page 78 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2868767778798088128 ... LastLast
Results 1,156 to 1,170 of 2060
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    He has just released Bradman's Invincibles 'the inside story of the epic 1948 Ashes tour
    You have got to be kidding me. How many more books can this guy get published on the back of his brief relationship with Bradman?

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gregory View Post
    You have got to be kidding me. How many more books can this guy get published on the back of his brief relationship with Bradman?
    Maybe Bradman gave him a secret interview about is team
    You know it makes sense.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    He has just released Bradman's Invincibles 'the inside story of the epic 1948 Ashes tour
    I think that I'll be happy to keep my knowledge confined to the outside story.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Gideon's review was pretty damning (but on the mark). He actually sent it through to me at one stage when we were discussing something (can't remember what now) and the subject of Perry came up.
    Having said that, I hope that Gideon doesn't review "The Gregorys" if it ever comes up. He's a pretty harsh judge
    Doubtless he evaluates others' work by the standards of his own, which, while not entirely fair, is understandable.

There is an amusing yarn in the final, most readable chapter of The Don. Posing for a picture with his biographer, and stubbornly refusing to humour an anguished photographer, Bradman wears a dour and decidedly unphotogenic expression. Things look desperate until Perry pipes up with something along the lines of "Come on, Don! You're about to be in a photo with Australia's foremost writer!" The great man promptly breaks into a paroxysm of mirth, and the camera clicks contentedly.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 03-08-2008 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Verbose

Maybe Bradman gave him a secret interview about is team
    Not knowing as much about Perry's double-dealing as I do now, I thought when Bradman's Best first appeared that Hanif's claims were outrageous. Needless to say, I now have my doubts. Do you believe that Perry fabricated it?
    Last edited by neville cardus; 03-08-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    There is an amusing yarn in the final, most readable chapter of The Don. Posing for a picture with his biographer, and stubbornly refusing to humour an anguished photographer, Bradman dons a dour and decidedly unphotogenic expression. Things look desperate until Perry pipes up with something along the lines "Come on, Don! You're about to be in a photo with Australia's foremost writer!" The great man breaks into a paroxysm of mirth, and the camera clicks contentedly.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    How does this guy live down such acute and wide-spread cynicism about his claims about the credibility of what he writes ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    How does this guy live down such acute and wide-spread cynicism about his claims about the credibility of what he writes ?
    On a big pile of cash. Any cricket book with Bradman in the title (particularly from a major publisher) will sell well, regardless of the quality.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    On a big pile of cash. Any cricket book with Bradman in the title (particularly from a major publisher) will sell well, regardless of the quality.
    I can believe that. I have this lovely friend in Australia who keeps sending me Bradman books. All my Bradman books except my first copy on The Art of Cricket, Brightly Fades the Don and A Farewell to Cricket are presents from him.

Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Not knowing as much about Perry's double-dealing as I do now, I thought when Bradman's Best first appeared that Hanif's claims were outrageous. Needless to say, I now have my doubts. Do you believe that Perry fabricated it?
    I spoke to Mr Haigh and he had no doubt that he made it all up

But I have also met Mr Perry and I think it is the truth, or he conned me

Was quite a nice fellow if the truth be told

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I spoke to Mr Haigh and he had no doubt that he made it all up

But I have also met Mr Perry and I think it is the truth, or he conned me

It is really great audacity if he really lied about so much. Though I do find it tough to believe that Bradman would give a list and yet act 'coy' about having it put to print in his own life time. That wasn't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    It is really great audacity if he really lied about so much. Though I do find it tough to believe that Bradman would give a list and yet act 'coy' about having it put to print in his own life time. That wasn't like him.
    Perry wrote that Bradman was worried about the amount of mail it would generate

Perry also said that he had been contacted about having his book on Bradman turned into a movie, but declined because he did not want to cause the Don more correspondence work

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Perry wrote that Bradman was worried about the amount of mail it would generate

Perry also said that he had been contacted about having his book on Bradman turned into a movie, but declined because he did not want to cause the Don more correspondence work
    I know but do you find that plausible.

Don would surely also think that it would generate a controversy whether he actually did nominate those sides. He was perceptive enough on such matters.

I've never met him, but I heard someone else say much the same thing. He is evidently a good after dinner speaker and quite entertaining.

However, a number of our better writers have said that the reason they are most pissed off with Perry is the fact that he took advantage of an old, sick (and ultimately dying) Bradman and has conveniently chosen to only publish after Bradman's death (by which point no-one could actually ask Bradman about the truthfulness of Perry's claims).

Thread Information