Page 77 of 138 FirstFirst ... 2767757677787987127 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,155 of 2060
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    The various Padwick incarnations list 120 entries in total under Bradman in the Biographical sections
    Wow !!

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    It is a far far better place ............ etc etc
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I would be interested as well mate

I spotted the book once, it was a 10/10 (or 5 stars) but I only had a quick peruse (law speak)
    From the publisher its 250 for one of the 500 and 225 for an out of series "review copy" - I haven't been able to check dealer prices but haven't seen it appear at auction of late - I think thats a bit pricy myself but it is a lovely volume

Will report back when I have spoken to John McKenzie

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    From the publisher its 250 for one of the 500 and 225 for an out of series "review copy" - I haven't been able to check dealer prices but haven't seen it appear at auction of late - I think thats a bit pricy myself but it is a lovely volume

Will report back when I have spoken to John McKenzie
    Which book is that ?

Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Which book is that ?

"Great Cricketers" by George W Beldam

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I would be interested as well mate

I spotted the book once, it was a 10/10 (or 5 stars) but I only had a quick peruse (law speak)
    I know two of them available for 400 (which is what I paid) and 500 USD. I think you should take the first one because it is unlikely that you will get one for a lower price.

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    By the way, the accompanying volume,GREAT BOWLERS AND FIELDERS Their Methods at a Glance is even more difficult to procure.

I am referring to the book published by Boundary Books in 2000 rather than the original Beldam/Fry books

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    I am referring to the book published by Boundary Books in 2000 rather than the original Beldam/Fry books
    Oh. I wasn't even aware.

How much did they publish? Dont tell me even they are available for such ridiculous prices?

It was mentioned in a few posts on page 73 - I think it was 125 on publication

gio
    U19 Cricketer
    Does anybody know of a good book detailing the whole Cronje affair, right from the start to his death? The Hanse Cronje Story looks like it fits the bill, but it has a terrible review on amazon, albeit from the only reviewer.

Anyone read it, or suggest a better one?

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie View Post
    SJS, Archie, Neville Cardus what Bradman books have you blokes ever seen or heard of?
    I unhesitatingly recommend Irving Rosenwater's -- see Stuart's review -- while strongly advising against Perry's, which is overwritten, under-researched and quite likely disingenuous.

Quote Originally Posted by gio
    Does anybody know of a good book detailing the whole Cronje affair, right from the start to his death? The Hanse Cronje Story looks like it fits the bill, but it has a terrible review on amazon, albeit from the only reviewer.
    Anyone read it, or suggest a better one?
    Go for it: King is an evocative writer with considerable narrative skill. I understand that his book outsold Harry Potter in Bloemfontein, the place of his subject's birth.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 02-08-2008 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Added quote
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    I unhesitatingly recommend Irving Rosenwater's -- see Stuart's review -- while strongly advising against Perry's, which is overwritten, under-researched and quite likely disingenuous
    Agree with that assessment. See here also for my review of the Perry work http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4893.php - I was probably a bit too nice in giving it 2.5 stars.

Perry as an author REALLY gets up my nose. I detest it greatly when authors cut corners, or even worse, potentially make up stuff to suit themselves.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    How he ever found a publisher after Captain Australia is beyond me. At one point in that mess, Sir Home Gordon is quoted "in a London paper" as describing the 1880 Test Match: "Murdoch was always graceful. He cuts beautifully [...]. He is a jolly genial man with much appreciation of other top players."

As Gideon Haigh pointed out when the book was released, however, Gordon could not have written this in 1880, being but eight years old at the time. The quote seems in fact to have been lifted directly and altered subtly from Ray Robinson's On Top Down Under, in which Home is said to be writing some years after his subject's retirement: "Murdoch was always graceful. He could cut beautifully [...]. He was a jolly, genial man, with much appreciation of other players and too little control over his own inclinations."

So far as I know, Perry's iconoclastic claims about Leo O'Brien's testimony in the matter of The Leak, which directly contradicts everything else he said about it, are just as doubtful and have as yet been neither sourced nor proven.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 03-08-2008 at 05:25 AM.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    How he ever found a publisher after Captain Australia is beyond me. At one point in that mess, Sir Home Gordon is quoted from "a London paper" as describing the 1880 Test Match: "Murdoch was always graceful. He cuts beautifully [...]. He is a jolly genial man with much appreciation of other top players."

As Gideon Haigh pointed out when the book was released, Gordon could not have written this in 1880, for he was but eight years old at the time. The quote seems in fact to have been lifted directly and altered subtly from Ray Robinson's On Top Down Under, in which Home is said to be writing some years after his subject's retirement: "Murdoch was always graceful. He could cut beautifully [...]. He was a jolly, genial man, with much appreciation of other players and too little control over his own inclinations."

So far as I know, Perry's iconoclastic claims about Leo O'Brien's testimony in the matter of The Leak, which directly contradicts everything else he said about it, are just as doubtful and have as yet been neither sourced nor proven.
    He has just released Bradman's Invincibles 'the inside story of the epic 1948 Ashes tour
    You know it makes sense.

School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Gideon's review was pretty damning (but on the mark). He actually sent it through to me at one stage when we were discussing something (can't remember what now) and the subject of Perry came up.

Having said that, I hope that Gideon doesn't review "The Gregorys" if it ever comes up. He's a pretty harsh judge

Thread Information