• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Bees

U19 12th Man
I borrowed Mark Butcher's Teach Yourself Cricket from the local library the other day. I think this is a great book for someone whose only started to seriously learn about the game. That's the intended target audience, and I've got a lot of out this.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
So who got cricket books for Chrimbo?

Just to show what a sad bastard I am my favoured present was a copy of a little Indian published paperback account of the 76/77 MCC tour by Dicky Rutnager which came accompanied by six similar volumes two of which I didn't already have!

archie mac

International Coach
So who got cricket books for Chrimbo?

Just to show what a sad bastard I am my favoured present was a copy of a little Indian published paperback account of the 76/77 MCC tour by Dicky Rutnager which came accompanied by six similar volumes two of which I didn't already have!
I picked up one by Boycott where he names all his Test elevens

One about the first published rules of cricket

One about the travelling AEE of the 1860s

And the auto bio. of David Frith:)

fredfertang

And the auto bio. of David Frith:)
Have you placed your order for this Sean?

The David Frith Archive

A Detailed Catalogue of the Cricket Library
and Memorabilia Collection of David Frith
To be published in April 2009. Order now - only 75 copies available

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The little Uppercut stocking this year had Michael Simkins's Fatty Batter in it, which i've just started reading. Critical acclaim from great cricket writers like Stephen Fry, Michael Atherton, Ed Smith and archie mac. Anyone else read it?

archie mac

International Coach
Have you placed your order for this Sean?

The David Frith Archive

A Detailed Catalogue of the Cricket Library
and Memorabilia Collection of David Frith

To be published in April 2009. Order now - only 75 copies available
No I haven't, how much is it?

I know he has a lot of correspondence from Clem Hill, that is letters sent to Clem, I have his email address (thanks to Dave Gregory), but I have not contacted him as yet:)

fredfertang

There's 15 @ £550 a pop!!!! and the other 60 are a mere £195 - By the time I got in touch (which was about 3 hours after I got his email) much to Mrs fertang's relief the first 15 were spoken for

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
There's 15 @ £550 a pop!!!! and the other 65 are a mere £195 - By the time I got in touch (which was about 3 hours after I got his email) much to Mrs fertang's relief the first 15 were spoken for
:laugh:

I don't think I will bother tbh, too much money, although it would be very interesting:)

fredfertang

Yes it's a bit extreme - I've paid a deposit but given the dire predictions we're getting about our economy in 2009 whether I'll be able to complete the purchase might be questionable :unsure:

Matt79

Global Moderator
It's amazing - eBay has near 2400 listings for books with 'cricket' in the title or item description, and I'd swear half of them are Ian Botham (auto)biogs, and I've yet to see the same one twice.

chasingthedon

International Regular
The little Uppercut stocking this year had Michael Simkins's Fatty Batter in it, which i've just started reading. Critical acclaim from great cricket writers like Stephen Fry, Michael Atherton, Ed Smith and archie mac. Anyone else read it?
Yes, I read it. I actually preferred part one when he was growing up, brought back lots of memories of fruit flavour Spangles and the like.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Hey Sean, I know you don't check OT that often - I just remembered that in times gone past IIRC, you and SJS were emailing re: books. You don't have any contact details for him that you could try do you? Given this

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's amazing - eBay has near 2400 listings for books with 'cricket' in the title or item description, and I'd swear half of them are Ian Botham (auto)biogs, and I've yet to see the same one twice.
Whereas in Australia, every second auction is for a collection of four cricket books all featuring Chappelli, Walters or Walker.

YellowMonkey

Cricket Spectator
Mill'er Luck by Roland Perry

I saw someone post a query about this awhile ago.

I would have to say that the fact-checking in it is very poor. Perry is sloppy and makes a lot of factual errors.

I have written a great long diatribe about it here.

http://monkeyatthecricket.*************/2008/12/most-uninvincible-performance.html

These are the errors in about 30 pages of book

*p. 222. That the Australians arrived in "early April". Unless April 16, in the second half of the month is "early", then he's made a mistake.
*p. 223. Says that Barnes, Brown, Morris, Bradman, Hassett, Miller and Harvey jostled for five Test spots. Actually, six, as the first six on the list played in the first two Tests. Counting Miller as a frontline batsman, Bradman always used six of them before Tallon/Johnson/Lindwall.
*p. 224. The Worcester Cathedral in the background of the county ground is not 13 centuries old. Christian activity is that old, but the original church was long demolished and the iconic backdrop that cricketlovers are so familiar with dates to the 1200s.
*p. 224. Contrary to Perry's claim, Miller did open the bowling in both innings of the match against Worcestershire.
*p. 224. Miller also did not hit three sixes against Worcs, he hit one. Cricinfo and CricketArchive agree.
*p. 224. Perry says of the next match against Leicestershire: "Batting at three, especially after not bowling in the game". That's because Australia batted first, although Perry's comment is ambiguous.
*p. 224. Perry says Australia played against Yorkshire "next day" after scoring the double ton against Leics. However, Miller finished batting early on day two and the next day was the last day of the match against Leics
*p. 225. Says that Hassett won the toss and put Yorkshire into bat. Actually, Yorkshire won the toss and decided to bat.
*Generally, Perry is often slack with not outs and sometimes doesn't say "not out" after a player's score like Saggers' 104* against Essex, but sometimes does.
*p. 227. He says that the win over Essex was the sixth win in a row in 19 days. Incorrect, as Australia won the first match against Worcs on April 30 and the Essex win came on May 17.
*p. 229. Hutton did not captain the MCC against Australia. Yardley did.
*p. 232. Perry says that Australia slumped to 8/63 against Hampshire in discussing Miller's counterattack. Australia were 5/91 when Miller departed.
*p. 233. Says that Hants took a 77-run first innings lead. No. 195-117=78
*p. 233. Says that Miller and Saggers took a trip to Paris during the match against Sussex because they were not playing. Saggers certainly did not, as he did play in that match.
*p. 234. Says Princess Margaret was 18, when discussing Miller having dinner with her in June. Princess Margaret didn't turn 18 until August.
*p. 235. Says Miller bowled five bouncers in eight balls at Trent Bridge during the Test, in reference to the final over of the day against Hutton. He did not, as in 1948, they used six-ball overs. Hutton glanced the other ball for four.
*p. 238. Says that Miller opened the batting in the second match against Yorkshire. Not so. Brown did and scored 19 and 113, and Perry thinks these were Miller's score. Miller actually scored 20 and 0. A pretty massive mistake to confuse a century with a duck! Furthermore, an incorrect and dubious conclusion is reached from this paragraph, that Miller's long innings as an opener taxed his bowling efforts. Twenty and a duck is not a heavy workload!
*p. 239. Says Hamence bowled Hutton for 10 in the second innings of the said match. He bowled Halliday. Hutton didn't bat in the second innings.
*p. 242. Says that Loxton and Toshack opened the bowling in the first innings of the second tour game against Surrey in 1948. Toshack did not, Hamence did
*p. 243. Mentions a poker match during a rain break in England's first innings in the Third Test involving Miller, Edrich, Compton and Evans. Miller reportedly was late back onto the field as he wanted to continue playing with the others. Well, Edrich came in at 1/22 and when he was out, Compton came in when Edrich was out at 5/119 and batted until the end of the innings. Thus, if Miller was holding up play, it can't have been after England lost their first wicket, as either Edrich or Compton would have been waiting on the ground to bat, not playing poker. But there was no "long rain delay" at the start of England's first innings before the first wicket fell at 1/22. Either he's made another mistake or taken on trust the apocryphal story of an old cricketer with possibly faulty memory without checking to see if it is consistent with the scorecard.
*p. 246. This account of Miller's 58 in the 1948 Headingley Test is adapted from Jack Fingleton's "Brightly Fades The Don". However, Miller did not hit five sixes in this innings, as Perry implies, and mis-adapts Fingleton's account into saying so.
*pp. 248-249. Says that Miller followed his bowling effort against Derby with another against Glamorgan on the next day. Miller's bowling effort against Derby was actually on the second day, so the next day was the final day's play, not the match against Glamorgan.
*p. 250. Dewes fell with the score at 2 in the first innings of the Fifth Test, not 1/1. Appears to have copied this from Jack Fingleton's Brightly Fades The Don, which appears to be incorrect in this case.
*p. 251. Says that Miller scored 2088 runs in the 1948 tour, second only to Bradman. He did not. He scored 1088. What is worse is that Perry uses this erroneous number to reach the conclusion that Miller was the influential player in 1948 after Bradman and Morris, at the end of this chapter.
*p. 253. Says that Bradman only allowed six capped Test players to represent the opposition in the match against Leveson-Gower's XI. Well, Hutton, Edrich, Yardley, Bedser, Evans and Laker played, who were all in the 1948 Tests. But Walter Robins, Freddie Brown, Martin Donnelly and Laurie Fishlock also played, and they were already capped. That's 10. Again it appears that he copied Fingleton's Brightly Fades The Don without checking the scorecard for himself.
*p. 256. Says that Bill Johnston scored 60 runs at 20.66 in the Tests. Nope. 60/3 =20.00. He scored 62 at 62/3=20.66

My blog link has all the links to all the scorecards for verification