Page 70 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2060686970717280120 ... LastLast
Results 1,036 to 1,050 of 2032
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wisden18 View Post
    Well it's a book written from a lawyer's perspective really. David Fraser is the author (a Professor of Law and Social Theory) and he looks at things such as bodyline, chucking, ball-tampering, sledging, walking, use of technology and other areas in a novel way. For Australians especially, the chapter on Mankading is superb.

Now I'm a law student, so it really does appeal on that front, but I think it does have a much wider, general appeal. And like I said it is certainly a novel way of looking at things. It doesn't get too technical, and you don't need a great knowledge of law to understand the points he's making.

To give you a flavour of what I mean by novel (!) here's a little quote from the Foreword:

"Fraser is a relative newcomer to cricket. In 1988 while in Australia, he saw Australia play Pakistan and was fascinated by the umpire giving a batsman out lbw after the fielding side had appealed. His curiosity was immediately aroused by the fact that in this case the decision meant the umpire had to judge whether the ball would have hit the stumps, an event that had not occurred, but might have had the batsman's legs not got in the way. Putting on his lawyer's hat he thought this was very similar to the problematic area of causation in tort or criminal law, especially when dealing with the liability for an omission."

It's available on Amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cricket-Law-...6340262&sr=8-3 that link also allows you to "search inside" the book, which is worth doing, it'll allow you to get a feel for it.

Looks good, I will keep an eye out. There was another about Sth African Test players who have practised law (I think)
    You know it makes sense.

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Oh yes, I have that. It was done in a limited edition deluxe version as well (I don't have that (yet!)). Also Goldman did one of the most dull books ever written "Cricketers and the Law" which is just a list (pretty much, literally) of English lawyers who have played cricket.

Quote Originally Posted by wisden18 View Post
    Oh yes, I have that. It was done in a limited edition deluxe version as well (I don't have that (yet!)). Also Goldman did one of the most dull books ever written "Cricketers and the Law" which is just a list (pretty much, literally) of English lawyers who have played cricket.
    What was the SA one called?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    What was the SA one called?
    Imaginatively titled "South Africa's Cricketing Lawyers"

SJS' review of The Covers Are Off.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    At least you know what you are getting

Could one of you most erudite chaps please drop a hint as to which of the books on Victor Trumper is best?

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indipper View Post
    Could one of you most erudite chaps please drop a hint as to which of the books on Victor Trumper is best?
    I would recommend Ashley Mallett's, primarily because one of my correspondents (Srikantan Ramamurthy) contributed to it and another (David Frith) has very little time for Fingleton's.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Ten Great Innings and Ten Great Bowlers - two great books, both by one Ralph Barker and both of which I'd seen recommended on this thread. I really enjoyed them and highly recommend them both.

Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    You must appreciate, Fertang, that the evidence against you is mounting. You are a lawyer! Admit it!

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    ARCHIE!!!!!

OLLIE!!!

Help me lads - this nasty barrister is chasing me all over this Forum - could you sort him out for me

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
    Be interesting if you two have met in real life!

School Boy/Girl Captain Dave Gregory's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indipper View Post
    The review I did of the Mallett book is here http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4897.php. I have also done a review of the Peter Sharpham version (Trumper : The Definitive Biography) which I think is in the backlog that Arch is putting up slowly. Both worth tracking down, but forget the Fingleton one (not often you say that).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Gregory View Post
    The review I did of the Mallett book is here http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4897.php. I have also done a review of the Peter Sharpham version (Trumper : The Definitive Biography) which I think is in the backlog that Arch is putting up slowly. Both worth tracking down, but forget the Fingleton one (not often you say that).
    Yes, the book review section has really taken off, I just hope our reviewers do not get sick of waiting for their reviews to go up

I like the Mallett one as well, but on the Fingo one, it is not so much a bio, but more a tribute to the great man, some of it I can almost quote word for word, it has stayed with me, so a hard one to dismiss (much like the author )

Thread Information