• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here you are :-

Code:
[B]AUTHOR     	TITLE	COVER[/B]
SWANTON Jim	History of Cricket. A Vol 2	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Cricket - The Great Bowlers	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Middle Ages of Cricket, The	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Arlott On Cricket.          	Hardback
BAILEY Trevor	Greatest of My Time, The	Hardback
BRADMAN Don	Art Of Cricket, The        	Hardback
CARDUS       	Cricket All The Year     	Hardback
CONSTANTINE 	How to Play Cricket     	Hardback
DOUGLAS 	Jardine: Spartan Cricketer  	Paperback
FINGLETON Jack	Cricket Crisis                  Hardback
FINGLETON Jack	Fingleton on Cricket     	Hardback
FRITH David	Bodyline Autopsy                Paperback
FRY CB         	CRICKET - Batsmanship    	Hardback
Guha Ramchandra	Corner Of A Foreign Field, A	Paperback
Guha Ramchandra	Picador Book of Cricket       	Paperback
HOBBS Jack	My Cricket Memories            	Hardback
KNOTT Alan	Stumper's View             	Hardback
LUCAS EV	Hambledon Men, The           	Hardback
PEEBLES Ian	Batter's Castle                	Hardback
RAE Simon	Its Not Cricket                	Paperback
ROSS Alan	Cricketer's Companion, The	Hardback
SWANTON Jim	Barclay's World of Cricket 1	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Cricketers of My Times        	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Odd Men In                    	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Pavilioned in Splendour      	Hardback
WARNER Pelham	Fight for the Ashes 1930        Hardback
WAUGH Steve	Out Of My Comfort Zone      	Paperback
WYATT RES	Ins and Outs Of Cricket, The 	Hardback

archie mac

International Coach
Here you are :-

Code:
[B]AUTHOR     	TITLE	COVER[/B]
SWANTON Jim	History of Cricket. A Vol 2	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Cricket - The Great Bowlers	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Middle Ages of Cricket, The	Hardback
ARLOTT John	Arlott On Cricket.          	Hardback
BAILEY Trevor	Greatest of My Time, The	Hardback
BRADMAN Don	Art Of Cricket, The        	Hardback
CARDUS       	Cricket All The Year     	Hardback
CONSTANTINE 	How to Play Cricket     	Hardback
DOUGLAS 	Jardine: Spartan Cricketer  	Paperback
FINGLETON Jack	Cricket Crisis                  Hardback
FINGLETON Jack	Fingleton on Cricket     	Hardback
FRITH David	Bodyline Autopsy                Paperback
FRY CB         	CRICKET - Batsmanship    	Hardback
Guha Ramchandra	Corner Of A Foreign Field, A	Paperback
Guha Ramchandra	Picador Book of Cricket       	Paperback
HOBBS Jack	My Cricket Memories            	Hardback
[B]KNOTT Alan	Stumper's View             	Hardback
LUCAS EV	Hambledon Men, The           	Hardback
PEEBLES Ian	Batter's Castle                	Hardback[/B]
RAE Simon	Its Not Cricket                	Paperback
ROSS Alan	Cricketer's Companion, The	Hardback
SWANTON Jim	Barclay's World of Cricket 1	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Cricketers of My Times        	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Odd Men In                    	Hardback
THOMSON AA	Pavilioned in Splendour      	Hardback
WARNER Pelham	Fight for the Ashes 1930        Hardback
WAUGH Steve	Out Of My Comfort Zone      	Paperback
WYATT RES	Ins and Outs Of Cricket, The 	Hardback
Do these three have DJ? And are they first editions?:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay let me write this one by one.

HARDCOVERS

1. CB Fry's CRICKET - Batsmanship (First Edition 1912) - No dust Jacket - Book and binding in good condition

2. Fingleton on Cricket - (First Edition 1972) - Dust cover slightly torn and edges somewhat frayed - Book and binding in very good condition.

3. Batter's Castle by Ian Peebles - Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1959 - first edition was in 1958 - No DJ, book and binding in very good condition. Slight colour on inside two sheets, probably from the cover and moisture.

4.Stumper's View by Alan Knott - Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1974 - First edition 1973 - Dust Jacket, book and binding all in excellent condition.

5. Cricketer's of My Times -Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1968 (first edition 1967) - DJ, book and binding all in excellent condition.

6. The Fight For The Ashes-1930 by Plum Warner - First Edition from 1930 - No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.

7. My Cricket Memories by Jack Hobbs - First Edition from 1924 - No DJ, Book and binding in very good condition.

8. Middle Ages of Cricket, The by John Arlott - First Edition - No DJ - Book and binding in very good condition

9. Hambledon Men, The by EV Lucas -Sportsman's Book Club edition of 1952 (First published 1907) - No DJ - Book and Binding in very good condition.

10. Arlott on Cricket (edited by David R. Allen) - Second Print 1986 (First Published 1984) - Dust jackst, book and binding in excellent condition.

11. The Art of Cricket by Don Bradman - 1979 Edition (first published 1954) - Dust jacket frayed - Binding losened from the book which is otherwise in good condition

12. Pavillioned in Spendour by Thomson - First Edition 1956 - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ

13. A History of Cricket Vol II by Swanton - First Edition for this version (1962) - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ

14. Cricket The Great Bowlers edited by John Arlott - First edition 1968 - Rebound - Cover separated from book - No DJ​

Rest Later :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
HARDCOVERS continued ...

15. Cricket Crisis - Bodyline and Other Lines by Jack Fingleton - First Reprint four months after the first edition of Oct 1946 -No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.

16. Odd Man In by Thomson - First edition 1958 - No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition.

17. How To Play Cricket by Learie Constantine - First edition for this version 1951. First Published 1949.No DJ. Book and binding in very good condition

18. Ins and Outs Of Cricket, The by RES Wyatt - First edition - No dust jacket - Book in acceptable condition - binding slightly lose.

19. Barclay's World of Cricket - Edited by Swanton - With DJ. which is frayed at the edges - otherwise in good condition.

20 and 21. BAILEY Trevor's Greatest of My Time, The and
CARDUS 's Cricket All The Year - both first editions - both without DJ, books and bindings in very good condition.

22. The Cricket Companion by Alan Ross - I just discovered that the two editions of this antholgy I have are a bit different with some articles in each not available in the other. So I think I will keep both :)

Paperbacks.

All of them are first editions and in very good condition but I am committed to gift all except two to Fellow CW posters. That leaves

1. Jardine the Spartan Cricketer and

2. Bodyline Autopsy.

Both first editions and in first class condition as are all my paperbacks.

Last edited:

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Sing all a Green Willow, is not for everyone, I hope you enjoy it!:unsure:
I've practically finished it. A wonderful book. He's a captivating writer with a marvellous turn of phrase. For instance his description of Hants being on the receiving end of "a horrible walloping". I loved that.

Any recent recommendations Archie?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The Doug Walters story, assessed by Stuart and Archie. I'd like to get hold of this one, don't know how readily available it will be here though.
I really don't understand economics - the £ is really weak against the US$ and Euro yet perversely is strong against the AUS$ which is my way of saying in Roger Page's latest catalogue its around £12 - postage for one book is a few quid more but spread the cost around a few more items from his excellent stock and it's not too bad at all - if your interested David I'll scan you a copy of his latest and mail it to you.

archie mac

International Coach
I've practically finished it. A wonderful book. He's a captivating writer with a marvellous turn of phrase. For instance his description of Hants being on the receiving end of "a horrible walloping". I loved that.
Glad that you liked it, it is not for everyone, but well worth a read for the experienced cricket book reader.

He is a fine academic writer; I think I only had to use my dictionary 50 times:ph34r:

Any recent recommendations Archie?
The Jack Fingleton bio was a fine read, lots of things on Bradman (but not the same old sycophant type stuff)

Also Captain of The Crowd the bio of the 'Surrey Poet' is one of the best books I have ever read, page after page of things I did not know:)

stumpski

International Captain
I really don't understand economics - the £ is really weak against the US$ and Euro yet perversely is strong against the AUS$ which is my way of saying in Roger Page's latest catalogue its around £12 - postage for one book is a few quid more but spread the cost around a few more items from his excellent stock and it's not too bad at all - if your interested David I'll scan you a copy of his latest and mail it to you.
Yeah, that'd be worth a look I'm sure. What do you need, an e-mail address? You should be able to find it at the 'other' forum (I'm not allowed to mention it by name on here 8-) but I know you're a member).

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
The Jack Fingleton bio was a fine read, lots of things on Bradman (but not the same old sycophant type stuff)

Also Captain of The Crowd the bio of the 'Surrey Poet' is one of the best books I have ever read, page after page of things I did not know:)
Thanks Archie.

Not yet got round to reading A La Recherche du Cricket Perdu. I have to admit that my cricket book reading goes in spurts. Sometimes I immerse myself in cricket reading, and at other times I give myself a break. Otherwise I can get cricket cabin fever and start to lose touch with reality altogether. I'm just re-entering the "immersion" phase and will get through Cricket Perdu next.

fredfertang

Yeah, that'd be worth a look I'm sure. What do you need, an e-mail address? You should be able to find it at the 'other' forum (I'm not allowed to mention it by name on here 8-) but I know you're a member).
Why can't you mention www.wisdens.org? I'm sure I've mentioned it before and incurred no one's wrath - or do the mods not venture to this thread?

Anyway all of their PM/email facilities are switched off or knackered so you'll have to tell me - perhaps the staff forum is the best place?

fredfertang

The original is certainly an excellent read not least because, as you both say, it is a volume of rounded autobiography rather than a purely cricketing one.

Is it just a faithful reprint of the original? – in some ways it’s a bit of a shame if it is as it could easily have included reprints of one or more of/extracts from those wonderful books of caricatures that Mailey produced throughout the 20’s and early 30’s and which are so difficult to acquire these days. I have managed to track most of them down now but unfortunately since Mrs Fertang caught a glimpse of the £295 price tag on one of them my book buying activities have been more closely monitored and there at least two that still elude me – the material in them definitely deserves a wider audience than it will ever get now all the booklets are salted away in collectors hands.

archie mac

International Coach
The original is certainly an excellent read not least because, as you both say, it is a volume of rounded autobiography rather than a purely cricketing one.

Is it just a faithful reprint of the original? – in some ways it’s a bit of a shame if it is as it could easily have included reprints of one or more of/extracts from those wonderful books of caricatures that Mailey produced throughout the 20’s and early 30’s and which are so difficult to acquire these days. I have managed to track most of them down now but unfortunately since Mrs Fertang caught a glimpse of the £295 price tag on one of them my book buying activities have been more closely monitored and there at least two that still elude me – the material in them definitely deserves a wider audience than it will ever get now all the booklets are salted away in collectors hands.
Yes, the only new thing is a forward by Mike Coward, but otherwise it is pretty much a straight reprint. It would be great if they reprinted those others, I only own the one from the 1950s, as i just can't afford the others, although I was just outbid for one on ebay:@

Nice review Arch :)
Thanks mate, I think we are working well together,I did not know about title connection with the Mailey book:)

fredfertang

Yes, the only new thing is a forward by Mike Coward, but otherwise it is pretty much a straight reprint. It would be great if they reprinted those others, I only own the one from the 1950s, as i just can't afford the others, although I was just outbid for one on ebay:@
Not me honest Arch - which one was it and what did it go for?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
Not a book, but a wonderful piece of cricket writing. It's the opening paragraph of a judgment given by Lord Denning in the case of Miller v Jackson. Some of you (well, fredfertang at least) will be familiar with it. For those that aren't, here it is.

"In summertime village cricket is the delight of everyone. Nearly every village has its own cricket field where the young men play and the old men watch. In the village of Lintz in County Durham they have their own ground, where they have played these last 70 years. They tend it well. The wicket area is well rolled and mown. The outfield is kept short. It has a good club house for the players and seats for the onlookers. The village team play there on Saturdays and Sundays. They belong to a league, competing with the neighbouring villages. On other evenings after work they practise while the light lasts. Yet now after these 70 years a judge of the High Court has ordered that they must not play there any more. He has issued an injunction to stop them. He has done it at the instance of a newcomer who is no lover of cricket. This newcomer has built, or has had built for him, a house on the edge of the cricket ground which four years ago was a field where cattle grazed. The animals did not mind the cricket. But now this adjoining field has been turned into a housing estate. The newcomer bought one of the houses on the edge of the cricket ground. No doubt the open space was a selling point. Now he complains that when a batsman hits a six the ball has been known to land in his garden or on or near his house. His wife has got so upset about it that they always go out at week-ends. They do not go into the garden when cricket is being played. They say that this is intolerable. So they asked the judge to stop the cricket being played. And the judge, much against his will, has felt that he must order the cricket to be stopped: with the consequence, I suppose, that the Lintz Cricket Club will disappear. The cricket ground will be turned to some other use. I expect for more houses or a factory. The young men will turn to other things instead of cricket. The whole village will be much the poorer. And all this because of a newcomer who has just bought a house there next to the cricket ground."

Genius.