• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes of course. Have ordered the book btw. I've also thought about picking up books about the two Ws. Any suggestions?
I know of only two.

Wasim - The Autobiography of Wasim Akram (1998) and Wasim and Waqar: Imran's Inheritors (1992) by John Crace. I havent read either so cant comment on how good they are. Archie should know.

archie mac

International Coach
I know of only two.

Wasim - The Autobiography of Wasim Akram (1998) and Wasim and Waqar: Imran's Inheritors (1992) by John Crace. I havent read either so cant comment on how good they are. Archie should know.
:wacko: Am I dreaming? Or are you two messing with me:laugh:

I thought we were talking WI cricket

archie mac

International Coach
I know of only two.

I do have that one, but I thought it written not far enough into their careers, so I have it sitting on the shelf:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Waqar's book is too damn expensive. I just dont understand why a 200 page book should cost so much. Just trying to cash in on his name - not as a writer unfortunately :)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah I meant Wasim and Waqar, they're quite often referred to as the two W's in Pakistan and even outside of it.

Is the one about both W's the one that Imran Khan contributed to?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah I meant Wasim and Waqar, they're quite often referred to as the two W's in Pakistan and even outside of it.

Is the one about both W's the one that Imran Khan contributed to?
Dont know really but doesn't look like it from this :

Tracing the careers of the Pakistani fast bowlers, Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, this book looks at their rise to prominence and their effect on the national team. They both discuss fame, playing in Tests and county matches, and the stress and injuries which arise from playing non-stop cricket.

Wasim Akram and Waqar Younis, Imran Khan's fast-bowling protegees, have helped to make the Pakistan cricket team as formidable opponents to England as the West Indians. Wasim was discovered by chance at the Pakistan annual cricket camp, and in 1985 he played his first Test Match at the age of l8. Waqar was spotted by Imran and had instant success in Test cricket. The book traces the development of their success and popularity, and their effect on the national team. They both speak about their careers, fame, playing for Pakistan and in English county matches, and the stress and injuries which arise from playing non-stop cricket. A chapter added for this edition reflects on Pakistan's controversial England tour in 1992.​

They may have mentioned it i thought. I could be wrong of course.

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Thanks for that. I wish there were more Pakistani players' biographies out there that were worth a read. The Wasim and Waqar one, as Archie said, doesn't go far enough into their careers, so I might give it a miss. Have you read Miandad's The Cutting Edge by any chance?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Archie, has anyone done a review yet on Line and Strength - the new Glenn McGrath book. If not I'm happy to do a review. From what I've read so far it is better than some other cricket books I've read lately.

PS I know I still owe you a review on the new Daniel Vettori book. It's in the pipeline! :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks for that. I wish there were more Pakistani players' biographies out there that were worth a read. The Wasim and Waqar one, as Archie said, doesn't go far enough into their careers, so I might give it a miss. Have you read Miandad's The Cutting Edge by any chance?
Yes I have. I had mentioned once before that their aren't many good books on the sub-continental cricketers.

archie mac

International Coach
Archie, has anyone done a review yet on Line and Strength - the new Glenn McGrath book. If not I'm happy to do a review. From what I've read so far it is better than some other cricket books I've read lately.

PS I know I still owe you a review on the new Daniel Vettori book. It's in the pipeline! :)

Yes, that would be great:)

And also, a long, long, long, time ago, you were going to review the Ian Chappell book:ph34r:

archie mac

International Coach
I have a couple that I want to read, one is about Fazal, and the other about 'Z', the latter is written with David Foot so should be worth a read as he is a fine writer:)

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
I have a couple that I want to read, one is about Fazal, and the other about 'Z', the latter is written with David Foot so should be worth a read as he is a fine writer:)
Ooh, would love to read the one about Fazal and would definitely enjoy reading about Zaheer as well. I'll look those up and add them to my wishlist. :)

SJS, what were your thoughts about the Miandad one?

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have autobiographies by A H Kardar, Mushtaq and Hanif Mohammad and Waqar Hasan - I've only read Mushtaq's but enjoyed that

I also have a slim volume about Mudassar Nazar - there is a similar one about Wallis Mathias which I don't have and have never seen but I'll track a copy down one day!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Ooh, would love to read the one about Fazal and would definitely enjoy reading about Zaheer as well. I'll look those up and add them to my wishlist. :)

SJS, what were your thoughts about the Miandad one?
Its about average. I think a better writer would have done a better job. I haven't read it from cover to cover but I have read most of it in bits and pieces. It doesn't hold my attention and this, the way I have read it, is probably an indicator of that.