• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyone read the new book by Daniel Vettori - think it's called Turning Point
Vettori didn't write it, it's a biography by some cricket writer from New Zealand.

I'm not generally into biographies at all, so as much as i love Vettori, i won't be reading it.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
I finished Australia 55 by Alan Ross last night, and not ever having read his stuff before, I was quite impressed. The book provides a fascinating insight into Australia at that time and the cricket almost seems secondary. I think I will chase down some more of his work. Any suggestions as to a good starting point?

stumpski

International Captain
I've got a couple of his - Australia 63, the account of Dexter's tour, did a pretty good job on what was quite a dull series - and I'm currently on his biography of Ranjitsinjhi (I often have two or three books on the go simultaneously, so it's taking a while). He was a fairly prolific writer, and often used to contribute articles for the Cricketer magazine, mostly about county cricket IIRC.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I've got a couple of his - Australia 63, the account of Dexter's tour, did a pretty good job on what was quite a dull series - and I'm currently on his biography of Ranjitsinjhi (I often have two or three books on the go simultaneously, so it's taking a while). He was a fairly prolific writer, and often used to contribute articles for the Cricketer magazine, mostly about county cricket IIRC.
The biography of Ranji suffers greatly on one count. Ross borrows heavily from the accounts of the early biographers of Ranji viz, PC Standing, Kincaird and Wild. All three of them have spread a hell of a lot of myths and half truths and blatant untruths about Ranji which Ross hasn't researched enough to question.

Simon Wilde's Strange Genius of Ranjitsinhji has completely demolished most of these in a stunningly revelatory book.. Try and get hold of that book.

stumpski

International Captain
I'll look out for that, and 'Australia '55' as well. Ross's obituary in the 2002 Wisden suggests that along with 'Australia '55' the Ranji book was among his best. Reading that it seems he was really more of a journalist (as well as poet and magazine editor) than author. I must admit I sometimes get him mixed up with Gordon Ross who edited the Cricketer and the Playfair annual.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Alan Ross was indeed a journo - cricket correspondent of the Observer for donkeys years - he did write some excellent tour accounts in the late 50's early 60's and an evocative book about the Lords Test in 63 - there is also an excellent anthology of his Observer stuff called Green Fading into Blue - or something like that.

I agree with SJS about the Ranji books though - the Wilde one is streets ahead - I also have one about Ranji's time in Ireland but haven't got round to reading it yet

stumpski

International Captain
Fred, do you happen to know if John Kay (cricket writer and one of the key figures in getting D'Oliveira to England) is still alive? Can't recall seeing an obit for him but he must be knocking on a bit now.

fredfertang

I don't know - I suspect not as he is described as an experienced journalist in books he wrote in the late 40's but I suppose it must be possible though he'd surely be 90+

archie mac

International Coach
I also read the Ranji one and enjoyed the first half very much, but was not that fussed on the 2nd half once he had all but stopped playing serious cricket:)

stumpski

International Captain
I don't know - I suspect not as he is described as an experienced journalist in books he wrote in the late 40's but I suppose it must be possible though he'd surely be 90+
I found his obituary - he died in February 1999, aged 89. The cricket correspondent of the Manchester Evening News from just after the War to 1975, and continued to write for Wisden until 1982. 'His knowledge of Lancashire cricket was immense', it was noted. I have one of his books, MCC Down Under, the story of the 1958-59 series.

fredfertang

I found his obituary - he died in February 1999, aged 89. The cricket correspondent of the Manchester Evening News from just after the War to 1975, and continued to write for Wisden until 1982. 'His knowledge of Lancashire cricket was immense', it was noted. I have one of his books, MCC Down Under, the story of the 1958-59 series.
Curiously that is the one book of his I don't have :laugh:

Perm

Got out My Spin On Cricket the other day, a few chapters in and I'm loving it already.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Archie, I've just ordered the Richard Boock biography of Daniel Vettori. Since I reviewed his other offerring on Stephen Fleming I think I'll review the Daviel Vettori one - if that's OK with everyone. Have to tell you I've got meaner in my old age, so I might not be quite as complementary as I was about the Fleming Bio.

archie mac

International Coach
Archie, I've just ordered the Richard Boock biography of Daniel Vettori. Since I reviewed his other offerring on Stephen Fleming I think I'll review the Daviel Vettori one - if that's OK with everyone. Have to tell you I've got meaner in my old age, so I might not be quite as complementary as I was about the Fleming Bio.
Yes that would be great, looking forward to it:)

stumpski

International Captain
Archie, have you ever read 'A Yankee Looks at Cricket' by Henry Sayen?

And would you like a review? The book is over 50 years old but I know that won't bother you.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way Archie, how come the majority of the books reviewed on the site are more recent publications. Is that also a representative 'reflection' on your massive 1200 book library ? Or is it that you prefer to review those books more in the 'public eye' ?

archie mac

International Coach
Archie, have you ever read 'A Yankee Looks at Cricket' by Henry Sayen?

And would you like a review? The book is over 50 years old but I know that won't bother you.
Yes that would be great, still have to find time to put up the Archie Mac book:) I have seen it around but have never read it

By the way Archie, how come the majority of the books reviewed on the site are more recent publications. Is that also a representative 'reflection' on your massive 1200 book library ? Or is it that you prefer to review those books more in the 'public eye' ?
We are trying to have a balance, it would be great if we could have two books up, one new (or newish) and one old book:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Yes that would be great, still have to find time to put up the Archie Mac book:) I have seen it around but have never read it

We are trying to have a balance, it would be great if we could have two books up, one new (or newish) and one old book:)
And how old is old enough for that ?

fredfertang

We've done Britcher - they don't come any older!

.................... well except Florio's English/Italian dictionary but how can you write 500 words about a book renowned only for a simple definition?