Cricket Player Manager
Page 6 of 142 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 2120
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #76
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Thanks for that list Archie_Mac.

    I havent read any barring two of them ! The two exceptions being Days in the Sun by Cardus and Australian Test Cricket 1877-1981 Now there are some more books to look for and buy

    This topic has come up before and I have posted a list too but off the top of my head here are some of my favourites.

    - Beyond the Boundary by CLR James
    - Every book by Cardus except his autobiography
    - Pavillioned in Splendour, Cricket Bouquet, Cricketers of my Time by AA Thomson
    - Cricket - The Great Bowlers (edit-John Arlott)
    - The Jubilee Book of Cricket by Ranji
    - A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes
    - The MCC Cricket Coaching Book
    - The Art of Cricket by Bradman
    - For the Love of the Game - John Lemmon (edit)
    - A Walk to the Wicket - Dexter and Lemmon
    - Sort of a Cricket Person - Swanton
    - The Joy of Cricket - John Bright Holmes
    - The Art of Captaincy - Brearley
    Some great authors on that list SJS. Did you read the review of AA Thomson's 'Cricket My Pleasure' on our site?

    There are quite a few on your list I have not read, I recently picked up a copy of 'A Walk to The Wicket' . So I will have too read that one soon. Also have a copy of the Ranji book but have not read it as yet

    You once told me about a couple of books to do with Indian cricket, I wrote them down but have now lost the list, can you remember them? I told you at the time that I had just finished 'A Corner of a Foreign Field' by Guha
    You know it makes sense.

  2. #77
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Here are my favourite cricket books click here it would be great if other people could tell me their favourite cricket books. Does not have to be a top 12, top 5 would be great
    Archie

    I don't seem to have too much in common with you in terms of fave books but these are my favourites (not in any particular order)

    , Mike Brearley The Art of Captaincy - biography of one of the greatest captains
    . Michael Slater Slats -unflinchingly truthful
    . Jack Fingleton Batting from Memory - this reads like silk
    . Ian Chappell Chappelli - my favourite - just about fallen apart from reading
    . Bill O'Reilly 'Tiger' - really well written
    . Ray Robinson On Top Down Under - a classic about Aus cricket Captains
    . AG Moyes Bradman - my favourite Bradman book - written in 1948
    Last edited by armchairumpire; 12-06-2006 at 05:31 AM.

  3. #78
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,157
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Is that the one by Ian Brayshaw?

    I have it, but have not read it, will have to move it up the 'to read list'

    Would you consider doing a review for the CW?
    That's the one.

    Nah look, I don't think i'm up to the standard CW expects from it's writers.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.

  4. #79
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire
    Archie

    I don't seem to have too much in common with you in terms of fave books but these are my favourites (not in any particular order)

    , Mike Brearley The Art of Captaincy - biography of one of the greatest captains
    . Michael Slater Slats -unflinchingly truthful
    . Jack Fingleton Batting from Memory - this reads like silk
    . Ian Chappell Chappelli - my favourite - just about fallen apart from reading
    . Bill O'Reilly 'Tiger' - really well written
    . Ray Robinson On Top Down Under - a classic about Aus cricket Captains
    . AG Moyes Bradman - my favourite Bradman book - written in 1948
    My list didnot include bios, as I have a seperate list on the CW cricket book site. My 12 top bios did include Batting From Memory, and On Top Down Under was in my top 12 but in the end I had to leave it out. I have read all of those (except the Moyes) and wrote a review of the Slater book.

    Are you still going to write a review of the Fleming bio?
    Last edited by archie mac; 12-06-2006 at 07:23 AM.


  5. #80
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00
    That's the one.

    Nah look, I don't think i'm up to the standard CW expects from it's writers.
    No worries

  6. #81
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,268
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Some great authors on that list SJS. Did you read the review of AA Thomson's 'Cricket My Pleasure' on our site?

    There are quite a few on your list I have not read, I recently picked up a copy of 'A Walk to The Wicket' . So I will have too read that one soon. Also have a copy of the Ranji book but have not read it as yet

    You once told me about a couple of books to do with Indian cricket, I wrote them down but have now lost the list, can you remember them? I told you at the time that I had just finished 'A Corner of a Foreign Field' by Guha
    Hi Archie_mac

    No I didnt read the review but I have Cricket My Pleasure By AAT. I am a great fan of his and buy any of his books I come across. Ditto with Cardus.

    Ranji's book is great because it gives you an insight into how the game has progressed techniquewise.It has many pictures of old timers showing off their strokes and stances and I found that fascinating too. I am trying to collect cricket coaching books down the last 200 years for some research work. So its of great interest to me. Otherwise everyone may not find it such a great read .

    On Indian cricket one of the books I recommend is Rajan Bala's The Covers Are Off. You have to forget the poor editing and poorer photographs. Rajan was a passionate cricket journalist (still writes off and on) and hugely interested in the inside-politics of Indian cricket. I have met him twice at a friends place and it was fascinating to hear him discuss the politics of the game in India in a very intimate knowing manner. This was not gossip heard from the party circle but first hand account of his interactions with the personalities involved. Rajan being a highly respected journalist was on very intimate terms with most Indian top cricketers and administrators of the sixties, seventies and eighties.

    You have already read Guha's book. Other than these I cant think of any really good books to recommend.

    I like Rajinder Amarnaths book on his father The Makings of A Legend - Lala Amarnath. Again I like it because of the historical events and the internal goings on in Indian Cricket before I was born. It may not interest those not familiar with Indian Cricket. I found it fascinating.

  7. #82
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Ranji's book is great because it gives you an insight into how the game has progressed techniquewise.It has many pictures of old timers showing off their strokes and stances and I found that fascinating too. I am trying to collect cricket coaching books down the last 200 years for some research work. So its of great interest to me. Otherwise everyone may not find it such a great read .
    I have a couple you may not have read both instructional books one by Murdoch and one by WW Armstrong which I have not read but it has a DJ which makes it quite rare


    You are right most people would find them boring, and I must admit I am one of those

  8. #83
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,268
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I have a couple you may not have read both instructional books one by Murdoch and one by WW Armstrong which I have not read but it has a DJ which makes it quite rare
    I envy you

    BTW, I am very impressed with your voracious cricket reading. What do you read besides cricket ?

  9. #84
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    I envy you

    BTW, I am very impressed with your voracious cricket reading. What do you read besides cricket ?
    I just finished the Da Vinci Code, really enjoyed it, and plan too see the movie. Although every movie I have seen after reading the book I have been left a little disapointed.

    I quite enjoy Raymond E Feist, Clive Barker and David Lindsay, but tbh cricket books are my favourites.

    How about yourself?

  10. #85
    U19 Cricketer armchairumpire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    404
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    My list didnot include bios, as I have a seperate list on the CW cricket book site. My 12 top bios did include Batting From Memory, and On Top Down Under was in my top 12 but in the end I had to leave it out. I have read all of those (except the Moyes) and wrote a review of the Slater book.

    Are you still going to write a review of the Fleming bio?
    Yes. I am rereading it now and making some notes for the review. will probably have it done by the end of the week.

  11. #86
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,268
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    I just finished the Da Vinci Code, really enjoyed it, and plan too see the movie. Although every movie I have seen after reading the book I have been left a little disapointed.

    I quite enjoy Raymond E Feist, Clive Barker and David Lindsay, but tbh cricket books are my favourites.

    How about yourself?
    Besides cricket ? Well...I stopped reading fiction decades ago tghough my brother took on a bet with my elder son that he would give me a fiction book that I would read from cover to cover. My son said it was impossible, I would never do it. My brother won. The book was Da Vinci Code ! Since then I have read Angels and Demons, also by Dan Brown.

    I read a lot of books on history, philosophy, religion and politics. Most of my books, besides cricket are of these subjects. I also read what could losely be termed knowledge books. Basically non-fiction covering a variety of topics.

    Due to my very busy work scedule of last 26 years (!!!) I have bought many more books than I have been able to read. So now that I am retiring, this is one of the six things on my list of what I am going to do with my life - read all the books that I have bought and will buy

  12. #87
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire
    Yes. I am rereading it now and making some notes for the review. will probably have it done by the end of the week.
    Great news

    We are trying to keep the reviews to 500 words max. (Although I have gone over more often then not)

  13. #88
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,747
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS
    Besides cricket ? Well...I stopped reading fiction decades ago tghough my brother took on a bet with my elder son that he would give me a fiction book that I would read from cover to cover. My son said it was impossible, I would never do it. My brother won. The book was Da Vinci Code ! Since then I have read Angels and Demons, also by Dan Brown.

    I read a lot of books on history, philosophy, religion and politics. Most of my books, besides cricket are of these subjects. I also read what could losely be termed knowledge books. Basically non-fiction covering a variety of topics.

    Due to my very busy work scedule of last 26 years (!!!) I have bought many more books than I have been able to read. So now that I am retiring, this is one of the six things on my list of what I am going to do with my life - read all the books that I have bought and will buy
    How was Angels and Demons?

    You were going to write a review for CW of a David Lemon book you were reading?

  14. #89
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,268
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    How was Angels and Demons?

    You were going to write a review for CW of a David Lemon book you were reading?
    Angels and Demons was also pacy like DVC. I quite enjoyed it. It has a similar setting (Vatican and Christian politics) and the same hero. I would recommend it.

    Yes I kn ow about that review. I am getting lazier as my retirement date is approaching .

    I wont take too long I promise. All notes are done. I just need to 'stitch" them together

  15. #90
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac
    Great news

    We are trying to keep the reviews to 500 words max. (Although I have gone over more often then not)
    eeek. my Perry one is two-thirds done and is around 800-900 already. It's only a draft, and i always lose about a third when i go through and tidy it up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

Page 6 of 142 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 03:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 08:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 05:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 11:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 04:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •