• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's a touch knee-jerk. My proof-reading role is simply to tidy up sentences, make sure spelling is correct, and ensure all articles have the same "style" ie. words capitalised or not.

If I was to re-write a whole paragraph, I would contact the writer first. While this site is all voluntary, James does want the site to look as professional as possible.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's really important to have someone look at your submissions - the problem that many people have with proof-reading their own work is that a mind tends to read what it expects to find there.

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
My Favourite Cricket Books

From about 30 years of reading from the 70's onwards :

1.Wildest Tests - Ray Robinson (revised '79 edition)

2.Cricket War - Gideon Haigh '93 - THE DEFINITIVE BOOK ON KERRY PACKER'S WSC - amazing stuff

3.Rhythm & Swing - Richard Hadlee '90

4.In the Fast Lane - Geoff Boycott - trials and tribulations of ENG tour of WI 1981

5.All round View - Imran '88

6.Cricket's Colosseum -125 yrs of test Cricket at the MCG - Ken Piesse 2003
full of trivia and photos

7.Idols - Sunil Gavaskar '81

8.Cricket Wallah - Scyld Berry - superb a/c of Eng's tour of Ind '81 and cricket in India

9.Cricket Revolution - Bob Willis - 81 -articulate book of int cricket in the 70's

10.Calypso Cavaliers - Brian Crowley '84 - Rebel WI tour of SA 1983

11.Dickie Bird - an autobiography -97

12.Pundit's from Pakistan - Rahul Bhattacharya - Ind vs Pak 2004 - Victory Series/travelogue

13.Whispering Death - Michael Holding/Tony Cozier 1992

14.Ten Turbulent Years -Cricket In Australia 1977-1987 '87

15.ESPN Legends of Cricket - Geoff Armstrong 2003

16.Wills Book of International One Day Cricket 1992

17.Hitting Across the Line - Viv Richards 1990

18.Gloves , Sweat and Tears - Rod Marsh 1984

19.The Men and the Game - Tony Grieg 1977

20.Five decades of cricket photography - Ken Kelly 1988

These are the books that have survived - considering I had to dispose off most of my collection to accomodate my other obsession - still a good list :cool:

archie mac

International Coach
I read the Piesse book only recently, very well written. I liked how he gave the nick names for every player mentioned in the book:)

The Cricket War, was a great read, recommend to anyone who wants to know what all the fuss was over re- WSC

Krishna_j

U19 12th Man
I particularly liked the inside story of how Steve Waugh got the chance to play in his first test against us , many such trivia by Ken in a well researched book

archie mac

International Coach
Krishna_j said:
I particularly liked the inside story of how Steve Waugh got the chance to play in his first test against us , many such trivia by Ken in a well researched book

An underrated writer, I have read about a dozen of his books and have enjoyed them all. My favourites would be: T.J. Over The Top (bio of Terry Jenner) and The Taylor Years.

Ken is also a very nice person. He allowed me to send all the books I own of his (14) to his house in Melbourne, where he signed them and then sent them back :)

FRAZ

International Captain
SJS said:
Thanks for that list Archie_Mac.

I havent read any barring two of them ! The two exceptions being Days in the Sun by Cardus and Australian Test Cricket 1877-1981 Now there are some more books to look for and buy :)

This topic has come up before and I have posted a list too but off the top of my head here are some of my favourites.

- Beyond the Boundary by CLR James
- Every book by Cardus except his autobiography
- Pavillioned in Splendour, Cricket Bouquet, Cricketers of my Time by AA Thomson
- Cricket - The Great Bowlers (edit-John Arlott)
- The Jubilee Book of Cricket by Ranji
- A Lot of Hard Yakka by Simon Hughes
- The MCC Cricket Coaching Book
- The Art of Cricket by Bradman
- For the Love of the Game - John Lemmon (edit)
- A Walk to the Wicket - Dexter and Lemmon
- Sort of a Cricket Person - Swanton
- The Joy of Cricket - John Bright Holmes
- The Art of Captaincy - Brearley
The art of cricket is great
Any ways that is some excellent stuff to have in the personal library
Great great great ...........

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
FRAZ said:
The art of cricket is great
Any ways that is some excellent stuff to have in the personal library
Great great great ...........
Thanks Fraz
...and welcome back :)

FRAZ

International Captain
SJS said:
Thanks Fraz
...and welcome back :)
by the way SJS I would like you to check out one website, if you dont mind.
I think if you will go through some pages then you will definately like it . www.chowk.com
P.S. I am not advertising at all ..

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This thread makes me sad.
Travelling from country to country meant I had to leave my cricket library in the UK and I have not had access to it for 6 years :@

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
This thread makes me sad.
Travelling from country to country meant I had to leave my cricket library in the UK and I have not had access to it for 6 years :@

How big is it, and what is your prized volume?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
How big is it, and what is your prized volume?
Good question. If I ever counted it Ive forgot the answer. Its not too big. Im guessing its well over 200 (could be more, could be less, as I said Ive not seen it for 6 years) but Ive really go no idea. The great thing about discount and 2nd hand book stores is that there is no shortage of cricket books. Ive only got about 20 or so Ive bought recently at the moment.

As for prized posession, I cant really remember what I have. One that comes to mind- when I was young I travelled around playing cricket and I carried a copy of "Boycott on Cricket" in my coffin and I have most of the photos in the book signed by the cricketers in them. Probably sentimental value rather than financial, but it carries memories of when I was a decent cricketer.

On a side note- Any idea how much a signed copy 1st Edition of 'The Larwood Story' goes for? Im not selling but as Im getting older, Ive a bit more cash and Id like to start picking up some rarer books and Id like a copy of this.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Good question. If I ever counted it Ive forgot the answer. Its not too big. Im guessing its well over 200 (could be more, could be less, as I said Ive not seen it for 6 years) but Ive really go no idea. The great thing about discount and 2nd hand book stores is that there is no shortage of cricket books. Ive only got about 20 or so Ive bought recently at the moment.

As for prized posession, I cant really remember what I have. One that comes to mind- when I was young I travelled around playing cricket and I carried a copy of "Boycott on Cricket" in my coffin and I have most of the photos in the book signed by the cricketers in them. Probably sentimental value rather than financial, but it carries memories of when I was a decent cricketer.

On a side note- Any idea how much a signed copy 1st Edition of 'The Larwood Story' goes for? Im not selling but as Im getting older, Ive a bit more cash and Id like to start picking up some rarer books and Id like a copy of this.
I recently saw a signed Larwood story go for $100 AU but that was the edition released in the 1980s. So I would think you could treble the price for a 1st edition :)

The problem with Larwood was that he was happy to sign. Some one like Sid Barnes who only signed the odd thing is worth a lot of money.

It is really only Bradman who signed a lot, but is still sort after. Even so it's his signature from the 30s that fetch the highest price.

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy said:
Is it hardcover?

Whats your asking price?