• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
Maybe Bradman gave him a secret interview about is team8-)
Not knowing as much about Perry's double-dealing as I do now, I thought when Bradman's Best first appeared that Hanif's claims were outrageous. Needless to say, I now have my doubts. Do you believe that Perry fabricated it?

Last edited:

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
There is an amusing yarn in the final, most readable chapter of The Don. Posing for a picture with his biographer, and stubbornly refusing to humour an anguished photographer, Bradman dons a dour and decidedly unphotogenic expression. Things look desperate until Perry pipes up with something along the lines "Come on, Don! You're about to be in a photo with Australia's foremost writer!" The great man breaks into a paroxysm of mirth, and the camera clicks contentedly.
:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
How does this guy live down such acute and wide-spread cynicism about his claims about the credibility of what he writes ?

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
How does this guy live down such acute and wide-spread cynicism about his claims about the credibility of what he writes ?
On a big pile of cash. Any cricket book with Bradman in the title (particularly from a major publisher) will sell well, regardless of the quality.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
On a big pile of cash. Any cricket book with Bradman in the title (particularly from a major publisher) will sell well, regardless of the quality.
I can believe that. I have this lovely friend in Australia who keeps sending me Bradman books. All my Bradman books except my first copy on The Art of Cricket, Brightly Fades the Don and A Farewell to Cricket are presents from him.

archie mac

International Coach
Not knowing as much about Perry's double-dealing as I do now, I thought when Bradman's Best first appeared that Hanif's claims were outrageous. Needless to say, I now have my doubts. Do you believe that Perry fabricated it?
I spoke to Mr Haigh and he had no doubt that he made it all up

But I have also met Mr Perry and I think it is the truth, or he conned me:unsure:

Was quite a nice fellow if the truth be told:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I spoke to Mr Haigh and he had no doubt that he made it all up

But I have also met Mr Perry and I think it is the truth, or he conned me:unsure:

It is really great audacity if he really lied about so much. Though I do find it tough to believe that Bradman would give a list and yet act 'coy' about having it put to print in his own life time. That wasn't like him.

archie mac

International Coach
It is really great audacity if he really lied about so much. Though I do find it tough to believe that Bradman would give a list and yet act 'coy' about having it put to print in his own life time. That wasn't like him.
Perry wrote that Bradman was worried about the amount of mail it would generate

Perry also said that he had been contacted about having his book on Bradman turned into a movie, but declined because he did not want to cause the Don more correspondence work :)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Perry wrote that Bradman was worried about the amount of mail it would generate

Perry also said that he had been contacted about having his book on Bradman turned into a movie, but declined because he did not want to cause the Don more correspondence work :)
I know but do you find that plausible.

Don would surely also think that it would generate a controversy whether he actually did nominate those sides. He was perceptive enough on such matters.

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
I've never met him, but I heard someone else say much the same thing. He is evidently a good after dinner speaker and quite entertaining.

However, a number of our better writers have said that the reason they are most pissed off with Perry is the fact that he took advantage of an old, sick (and ultimately dying) Bradman and has conveniently chosen to only publish after Bradman's death (by which point no-one could actually ask Bradman about the truthfulness of Perry's claims).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I have acquired some of this Perry guy's books over the years though I am yet to open one and am now disinclined to do so - I do recall his biography of Keith Miller got a real slating in TWC - cant recall now who the reviewer was but I will check - can you gents tell us Brits a bit more about him and what he has been up to - sounds a little disturbing - putting a new slant on history is one thing but if he is inventing it then it seems to me his sins need as large a platform as the law of defamation will permit

archie mac

International Coach
I have acquired some of this Perry guy's books over the years though I am yet to open one and am now disinclined to do so - I do recall his biography of Keith Miller got a real slating in TWC - cant recall now who the reviewer was but I will check - can you gents tell us Brits a bit more about him and what he has been up to - sounds a little disturbing - putting a new slant on history is one thing but if he is inventing it then it seems to me his sins need as large a platform as the law of defamation will permit
We have a few reviews of his books up on the site, including the Miller effort (which I really enjoyed).

He does not provide ref. for a lot of his quotes, which will not worry most but does the 'mad' cricket book readers. I had a little go at him in one review I will link it for you:)

http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/1077.php
http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/2445.php
http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4893.php

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
I do recall his biography of Keith Miller got a real slating in TWC
It is not meant to be half-bad, although I am naturally reluctant to say whether or not a few of its more colourful revelations (i.e. that several of Miller's children wound up heroine addicts) are true. Significantly, it was only published after his death.

can you gents tell us Brits a bit more about him and what he has been up to - sounds a little disturbing - putting a new slant on history is one thing but if he is inventing it then it seems to me his sins need as large a platform as the law of defamation will permit
If you have Haigh's Game for Anything, you will find a fairly damning overview there.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Haha, SJS was replying to a spam post by someone which has subsequently been deleted.

So don't worry, wasn't directed at you :laugh:

Yes, it's always an idea to use the quote function when replying to spammers, so if their post gets deleted there's no misunderstanding arising. As a spammer myself (apparently) it's handy to know these things. :)

BTW Archie, I've found the MacLaren book now so should be able to get something to you soon.

archie mac

International Coach
Sean and Rodney, Pls check your mails.
Nothing in there????

Yes, it's always an idea to use the quote function when replying to spammers, so if their post gets deleted there's no misunderstanding arising. As a spammer myself (apparently) it's handy to know these things. :)

BTW Archie, I've found the MacLaren book now so should be able to get something to you soon.
Sorry mate, I regret to inform you that we do not allow 'spamers' to write reviews for our site:p