Page 59 of 136 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169109 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Quote Originally Posted by TT Boy View Post
    Can anyone recommend any cricket related books that actually don’t (intrinsically) focus upon the game itself and its nuances but rather on cricket’s cultural and social significance within society or upon the political climate of its era?

Most South African texts written since the country’s literature Black renaissance have used this approach and they are the cricket books I keep returning to.
    Derek Birley's "Social History of English Cricket" is very good indeed.

I also enjoyed "Anyone But England", even if Archie disagrees with me on that one.

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fredfertang View Post
    Yes I have heard of that – isn’t there a similar number of a leather bound limited edition of Mark Taylor’s autobiography? I cant believe these editions sell out but you don’t see them for sale with great frequency – were they remaindered on strict condition they were not removed to the northern hemisphere or are the publishers just hanging on to the surplus?

I was surprised they produced what in comparison was a mere 1,000 of that Shane Warne Illustrated thing and even that, which in comparative terms I would have thought would be quite popular, is still widely available.

What I really wonder about are authors who produce, say, 50 copies of something and sell it at, say, £50 a go when a “normal” run of 500 would sell for £5 a pop – if there is any literary merit in these items is it right they should be denied to the majority of collectors for reasons relating solely to the author's “kudos”?

Irving Rosenwater is a slightly different example in that the financial side is irrelevant – he was a terrific writer who produced many limited edition monographs in up to 100 copy runs (but usually 50 or less) – in particular in 1993 he produced a monograph about Douglas Jardine – 50 copies only, none sold (ie just given away to the cognoscenti) and if you want a copy now it will set you back around £500 – it’s an excellent piece but denied to so many.
    It is much cheaper, printing wise, to publish a small number and make the book a LTD edition and sell it for a decent amount.

Some of these books like the one I just read about a little known Aust Test player, do not have that much appeal to the masses

I have one of the LTD edition Aust. Wisdens they only printed 100 copies of each, maybe one day that will be worth a bit
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by wpdavid View Post
    I also enjoyed "Anyone But England", even if Archie disagrees with me on that one.
    At least you read the review?

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Some of these books like the one I just read about a little known Aust Test player, do not have that much appeal to the masses
    lol

Yes of course Archie - I keep forgetting that I am in a very small minority - how anyone with more than a passing interest in the game is not be entranced by its literature is beyond my comprehension but .....................................

lol

Yes of course Archie - I keep forgetting that I am in a very small minority - how anyone with more than a passing interest in the game is not be entranced by its literature is beyond my comprehension but .....................................
    They are a word beginning with 'P'

Cricket Web Staff Member fredfertang's Avatar
    Well that opens up a number of possibilities Archie - on the basis thats a competition I will pass given that I appear yet to be some way off the pace when it comes to working out the collective sense of humour of this Forum. ........................................ but dont worry I am nothing if not persistent - I will get there...................... it will just take a while!

Well that opens up a number of possibilities Archie - on the basis thats a competition I will pass given that I appear yet to be some way off the pace when it comes to working out the collective sense of humour of this Forum. ........................................ but dont worry I am nothing if not persistent - I will get there...................... it will just take a while!
    Philistines

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    Two that immediately come to mind are CLR James's Beyond a Boundary - a classic, and to a lesser extent, Basil D'Oliviera by Peter Osborne. But then you have already mentioned that you are reading the South African books so may have read the latter.
    As far as South African works of this persuasion go, there is much to recommend John Nauright. His noesis is broad, his insight acute and his love of the South African game profound. He contributes an erudite essay on its growth to the Stoddart- and Sandiford-edited tome to which I earlier alluded.

In the Indian and sub-continental context, A Corner of A Foreign Field by Ramchandra Guha is really good. But you have to remember its the history of cricket in Colonial India and the context is historical. Many people find such reading heavy.
    I first sat down with it when I was thirteen, found it too donnish and have not touched it since, but I was both callow and in the throes of a severe illness at the time. Perhaps good health and university have changed me sufficiently to essay another attempt. I am yet to hear a bad word spoken about the book that does not come from my oral cavity.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    I first sat down with it when I was thirteen, found it too donnish and have not touched it since, but I was both callow and in the throes of a severe illness at the time. Perhaps good health and university have changed me sufficiently to essay another attempt. I am yet to hear a bad word spoken about the book that does not come from my oral cavity.
    From 'donninsh' I presume you mean 'scohool masterly'. If so, you are correct. Thats Guha's nature. I don't particularly like the chap. He is too full of himself and seems to have a very high opinion of himself (not difficult to to have such an attitude when you come across millions with such shallow knowledge of the game compared to yourself and yet behaving like pundits).

I too avoided his books for similar reasons once but starting with the anthology, I moved to this one and find it a good history though a heavy read.

International Captain
    This will be my next read when I've finished reading Grovel.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    This will be my next read when I've finished reading Grovel.

How are you finding Grovel?

The next book is a great read, even better then the Blofeld effort on the same subject

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    How are you finding Grovel?

I've only been able to manage a few pages a day so far and have only reached the point where they've selected the team for the Second Test. It's fairly dull so far and not all that well written, it's quite disjointed with the way it suddenly attempts to incorporate background information in amongst current events.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I've only been able to manage a few pages a day so far and have only reached the point where they've selected the team for the Second Test. It's fairly dull so far and not all that well written, it's quite disjointed with the way it suddenly attempts to incorporate background information in amongst current events.
    I gave it 4.5 stars

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SJS View Post
    From 'donninsh' I presume you mean 'scohool masterly'.
    Yep.

If so, you are correct.
    Oh, good.

Thats Guha's nature. I don't particularly like the chap.
    As he has shown unwonted kindness to more than one of my correspondents, I find it difficult not to like him.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 17-06-2008 at 08:32 PM.

Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Thread Information