• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would be interested as well mate:)

I spotted the book once, it was a 10/10 (or 5 stars) but I only had a quick peruse (law speak)
From the publisher its £250 for one of the 500 and £225 for an out of series "review copy" - I haven't been able to check dealer prices but haven't seen it appear at auction of late - I think thats a bit pricy myself but it is a lovely volume

Will report back when I have spoken to John McKenzie

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
From the publisher its £250 for one of the 500 and £225 for an out of series "review copy" - I haven't been able to check dealer prices but haven't seen it appear at auction of late - I think thats a bit pricy myself but it is a lovely volume

Will report back when I have spoken to John McKenzie
Which book is that ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I would be interested as well mate:)

I spotted the book once, it was a 10/10 (or 5 stars) but I only had a quick peruse (law speak)
I know two of them available for 400 (which is what I paid) and 500 USD. I think you should take the first one because it is unlikely that you will get one for a lower price.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, the accompanying volume,GREAT BOWLERS AND FIELDERS Their Methods at a Glance is even more difficult to procure.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am referring to the book published by Boundary Books in 2000 rather than the original Beldam/Fry books
Oh. I wasn't even aware.

How much did they publish? Dont tell me even they are available for such ridiculous prices?

gio

U19 Cricketer
Does anybody know of a good book detailing the whole Cronje affair, right from the start to his death? The Hanse Cronje Story looks like it fits the bill, but it has a terrible review on amazon, albeit from the only reviewer.

Anyone read it, or suggest a better one?

neville cardus

International Debutant
SJS, Archie, Neville Cardus what Bradman books have you blokes ever seen or heard of?
I unhesitatingly recommend Irving Rosenwater's -- see Stuart's review -- while strongly advising against Perry's, which is overwritten, under-researched and quite likely disingenuous.

gio said:
Does anybody know of a good book detailing the whole Cronje affair, right from the start to his death? The Hanse Cronje Story looks like it fits the bill, but it has a terrible review on amazon, albeit from the only reviewer.
Anyone read it, or suggest a better one?
Go for it: King is an evocative writer with considerable narrative skill. I understand that his book outsold Harry Potter in Bloemfontein, the place of his subject's birth.

Last edited:

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
I unhesitatingly recommend Irving Rosenwater's -- see Stuart's review -- while strongly advising against Perry's, which is overwritten, under-researched and quite likely disingenuous
Agree with that assessment. See here also for my review of the Perry work http://www.cricketweb.net/cricketbooks/4893.php - I was probably a bit too nice in giving it 2.5 stars.

Perry as an author REALLY gets up my nose. I detest it greatly when authors cut corners, or even worse, potentially make up stuff to suit themselves.

neville cardus

International Debutant
How he ever found a publisher after Captain Australia is beyond me. At one point in that mess, Sir Home Gordon is quoted "in a London paper" as describing the 1880 Test Match: "Murdoch was always graceful. He cuts beautifully [...]. He is a jolly genial man with much appreciation of other top players."

As Gideon Haigh pointed out when the book was released, however, Gordon could not have written this in 1880, being but eight years old at the time. The quote seems in fact to have been lifted directly and altered subtly from Ray Robinson's On Top Down Under, in which Home is said to be writing some years after his subject's retirement: "Murdoch was always graceful. He could cut beautifully [...]. He was a jolly, genial man, with much appreciation of other players and too little control over his own inclinations."

So far as I know, Perry's iconoclastic claims about Leo O'Brien's testimony in the matter of The Leak, which directly contradicts everything else he said about it, are just as doubtful and have as yet been neither sourced nor proven.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
How he ever found a publisher after Captain Australia is beyond me. At one point in that mess, Sir Home Gordon is quoted from "a London paper" as describing the 1880 Test Match: "Murdoch was always graceful. He cuts beautifully [...]. He is a jolly genial man with much appreciation of other top players."

As Gideon Haigh pointed out when the book was released, Gordon could not have written this in 1880, for he was but eight years old at the time. The quote seems in fact to have been lifted directly and altered subtly from Ray Robinson's On Top Down Under, in which Home is said to be writing some years after his subject's retirement: "Murdoch was always graceful. He could cut beautifully [...]. He was a jolly, genial man, with much appreciation of other players and too little control over his own inclinations."

So far as I know, Perry's iconoclastic claims about Leo O'Brien's testimony in the matter of The Leak, which directly contradicts everything else he said about it, are just as doubtful and have as yet been neither sourced nor proven.
He has just released Bradman's Invincibles 'the inside story of the epic 1948 Ashes tour

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
Gideon's review was pretty damning (but on the mark). He actually sent it through to me at one stage when we were discussing something (can't remember what now) and the subject of Perry came up.

Having said that, I hope that Gideon doesn't review "The Gregorys" if it ever comes up. He's a pretty harsh judge :unsure:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Gideon's review was pretty damning (but on the mark). He actually sent it through to me at one stage when we were discussing something (can't remember what now) and the subject of Perry came up.
Having said that, I hope that Gideon doesn't review "The Gregorys" if it ever comes up. He's a pretty harsh judge :unsure:
Doubtless he evaluates others' work by the standards of his own, which, while not entirely fair, is understandable.

neville cardus

International Debutant
You have got to be kidding me. How many more books can this guy get published on the back of his brief relationship with Bradman?
There is an amusing yarn in the final, most readable chapter of The Don. Posing for a picture with his biographer, and stubbornly refusing to humour an anguished photographer, Bradman wears a dour and decidedly unphotogenic expression. Things look desperate until Perry pipes up with something along the lines of "Come on, Don! You're about to be in a photo with Australia's foremost writer!" The great man promptly breaks into a paroxysm of mirth, and the camera clicks contentedly.

Last edited: