• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry Rodney. That is not the email is I use so much nowadays hence the confusion.

Okay listen. This is what we will do.

I will scan the entire book. Put the images on a CD and send the CD to you. I am just now sending you an e mail from the id I use. Reply there with the address where you want me to send the CD. After that give me time to get to scan the entire book. Once it is done and you have received the CD we will see how many drinks you owe me besides the dinner :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
SJS said:
NO. Nothing.
Ironically, the power went out shortly after my musings on power-outages. I was about to cite that as the likely cause of your non-receipt when you spotted it.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Sorry Rodney. That is not the email is I use so much nowadays hence the confusion.
Okay listen. This is what we will do.
I will scan the entire book. Put the images on a CD and send the CD to you. I am just now sending you an e mail from the id I use. Reply there with the address where you want me to send the CD. After that give me time to get to scan the entire book.
Sounds great. Many thanks.

Once it is done and you have received the CD we will see how many drinks you owe me besides the dinner :)
I shall definitely find away of repaying you.

stumpski

International Captain
Just finished that book myself, I enjoyed it very much as well. One thing I liked about it, apart from the wealth of interviews, is that every few pages the action stops and we get a little potted biography - two or three pages - of one of the main players, Steele, Close, Lloyd, Roberts or Knott. I quite liked that, because cricket is a game with time for reflection after all, and I thought of these little interludes as drinks breaks. There's also a handy 'where are they now' type appendix.

archie mac

International Coach
Just finished that book myself, I enjoyed it very much as well. One thing I liked about it, apart from the wealth of interviews, is that every few pages the action stops and we get a little potted biography - two or three pages - of one of the main players, Steele, Close, Lloyd, Roberts or Knott. I quite liked that, because cricket is a game with time for reflection after all, and I thought of these little interludes as drinks breaks. There's also a handy 'where are they now' type appendix.
Yes, I also enjoyed it. It seems only LT did not enjoy it!

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, I also enjoyed it. It seems only LT did not enjoy it!

It was one of my favourite years, not just in the cricket world (thank you Karen), and this book just doesn't capture it. It's a mess with fairly meaningless events thrown in the wrong places and I find most of the so-called interviews very dull.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It was one of my favourite years, not just in the cricket world (thank you Karen), and this book just doesn't capture it. It's a mess with fairly meaningless events thrown in the wrong places and I find most of the so-called interviews very dull.
I have just got my copy. Yet to read it. Its in queue :)

BHG86

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I expect it has been mentioned, but 75 pages is alot to trawl through...

Penguins Stopped Play is my personal favourite cricket book.

Autobiography wise I really enjoyed Mike Atherton's, he is a personal hero however.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
I've seen Gideon Haigh's book about the 2005 Ashes praised on this thread.

However I think he wrote two: one which was published in about October 2005 and one (A Fair Field And No Favour) which came out some time later.

Which is the better, or is it worth reading both?

(This from a misty-eyed English fan for whom 2005 was pretty much the best summer of my life).

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

However I think he wrote two: one which was published in about October 2005 and one (A Fair Field And No Favour) which came out some time later.

(This from a misty-eyed English fan for whom 2005 was pretty much the best summer of my life).
I suspect it's the same book just retitled for the more sensitive Australian market

archie mac

International Coach

I suspect it's the same book just retitled for the more sensitive Australian market
Yes the same book:)

archie mac

International Coach
I expect it has been mentioned, but 75 pages is alot to trawl through...

Penguins Stopped Play is my personal favourite cricket book.

Autobiography wise I really enjoyed Mike Atherton's, he is a personal hero however.
We have a review of PSP up on the site:)

I also enjoyed the Atherton book:happy: