• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

neville cardus

International Debutant
To my ineffable shock, I became yesterafternoon the first cove in 91 years to remove Edith Lyttelton's hagiography of Alfred from the confines of Rhodes University's library. Still more shocking, though, is the fact that Mary Drew's Diaries and Letters have not been touched since 1977.

My personal collection received another boost this week in the form of Sidney Barnes's life story, It Isn't Cricket (William Kimber, 1953). I greatly look forward to testing the claim he made me in an English press box once: "Why don't we have alternate days off and use each other's material, Nev? After all, we both write the same sort of stuff."

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
To my ineffable shock, I became yesterafternoon the first cove in 91 years to remove Edith Lyttelton's hagiography of Alfred from the confines of Rhodes University's library. Still more shocking, though, is the fact that Mary Drew's Diaries and Letters have not been touched since 1977.

My personal collection received another boost this week in the form of Sidney Barnes's life story, It Isn't Cricket (William Kimber, 1953). I greatly look forward to testing the claim he made me in an English press box: "Why don't we have alternate days off and use each other's material, Nev? After all, we both write the same sort of stuff."
BTW, my copy of Charles Pardon's book on the 1882 tour of England has arrived. Do you want me to try and get photocopies made (I can try) and send to you ?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What a lovely gesture. Yes, please.
U R welcome. :)

I must tell you that the book is tightly bound making it almost impossible to scan but I will take it to a professional and ask if they can do it. I am sure some way will be found. At least we can try.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
What a lovely gesture. Yes, please.
Okay great news. I am able to scan it myself.

Here is a sample. The introduction pages by Moorhouse. If okay I will send the entire thing to you over the next few days.

Sorry the images are too big to go here

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
By the way, I got today the first of what will surely be my two most prized (and most expensive) cricket books.

George Beldham and CB Fry's
Great Batsmen
Their Methods at a Glance

The companion volume, Great Bowlers and Fielders - Their Methods at a Glance is on its way.

Absolutely fascinated to see the many pictures showing detailed grip, stance, all strokes of WG, Ranji and all the other greats of those years.

Literally hundreds of plates. Worth every penny of the huge amount one has to pay for them.

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Roger Heavens is publishing facsimiles of both these books if others are interested in getting reading copies.

Where did you buy your copies SJS?

neville cardus

International Debutant
U R welcome. :)
I must tell you that the book is tightly bound making it almost impossible to scan but I will take it to a professional and ask if they can do it. I am sure some way will be found. At least we can try.
And that is an even lovelier gesture. Many thanks.

SJS said:
Okay great news. I am able to scan it myself.
Callay!

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
By the way, I got today the first of what will surely be my two most prized (and most expensive) cricket books.
Oddly enough, I picked up today an offering some six decennia older for what is easily the least expensive price (id est, gratis) that I have ever paid for literature. Long though I have been hunting for The Wealth of Nations, I never dreamed that I should up the 1840 edition.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
If they are in good condition thats not a bad price at all
As I said, I am delighted with the books because they are worth every cent. The condition is okay. As good as over hundred year old library copies can be expected to be.

Actually they were owned by someone till at least 1919 (from the signatures and dates from the original owner and then given to a library.

I am really thrilled at so many action photographs of so many players from the Golden Age and beyond but equally disappointed that such a treasure is unavailable to the public at large due to some 'silly' copyright stuff.

You dont reprint the stuff for over a hundred years, millions are denied even a glimpse of what these cricketers' strokes actually looked like and we talk of copyright. What copyright is infringed? Who is losing money? There is no money being made from these pictures anyway.

Cricket lovers need to see for them selves how WG, Ranji, Trumper, Spooner, Noble and Denton (amongst many others) bated. How similar (and trust me in some respects more elegant and graceful) they looked than their modern counterparts. I remember someone on this forum mentioning , on seeing Trumper's famous jumping out picture (or was it Pataudi Sr.) that this could not have been anything but posed. We;; they did bat like that, many of them and the jumping out to drive did have a kind of 'spring' about it - a panther like quality.

Fascinating.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Oddly enough, I picked up today an offering some six decennia older for what is easily the least expensive price (id est, gratis) that I have ever paid for literature. Long though I have been hunting for The Wealth of Nations, I never dreamed that I should up the 1840 edition.
So now you know what you need to send to me in return of my CD of scanned images of Pardon's book. :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
SJS said:
So now you know what you need to send to me in return of my CD of scanned images of Pardon's book.
I have a number of bits and pieces that I think even better. When, in December, I am finally back home, I promise to rummage through my archive and send you copies of a few never-published nuggets.

Did you get the files of the introduction pages I sent to you yesterday. Please confirm.
Alack, no. Would you mind beaming them off again?

James

Cricket Web Owner
I have taken the liberty of mending the format. Unfortunately, as Berita's limitations preclude us from employing the indentation that your quotations demand, inverted commas have had to suffice.

At any rate, though, it looks far better now. Well reviewed.
You need to use html tags :)

If someone tells me how it needs to look, I can fix it up :)