Page 51 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 2045
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #751
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Just got 'Mystery Spinner', Gideon Haigh's book on Jack Iverson, out of the library and very surprised not to see a review on here - or have I missed it?
    Ah, that's one of two golden fleece's for which I'm continuing to search. I've not been able to find it anywhere - its out of print, and I never see much Haigh in any second hand book stores (which tells you something in itself). One day I'll find a copy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #752
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    From Best of the Best :
    Viv Richards is an interesting case, falling outside the top 20 due to the number of runs he scored against statistically weak attacks.

    Cant imagine this realistically, when he was chosen as Wisden's Top 5 of the last century and generally acknowledged amongst his peers and followers as the supreme striker of the sphere
    192* vs S Abid Ali (42.12), ED Solkar (59.44), BS Bedi (28.71), EAP Prasanna (30.38), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    101 vs GJ Gilmour (26.03), JR Thomson (28.00), DK Lillee (23.92), AA Mallett (29.84), IM Chappell (65.80), GS Chappell (40.70)
    142 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), EAP Prasanna (30.38)
    130 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    177 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), ED Solkar (59.44), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    232 vs JA Snow (26.66), M Hendrick (25.83), CM Old (28.11), AW Greig (32.30), RA Woolmer (74.75), DL Underwood (24.92)
    135 vs M Hendrick (25.83), MWW Selvey (57.16), AW Greig (32.30), DL Underwood (25.83), PI Pocock (44.41)
    291 vs RGD Willis (25.20), MWW Selvey (57.16), DL Underwood (25.83), RA Woolmer (74.75), G Miller (30.98), JC Balderstone (80.00), P Willey (65.14), DS Steele (19.50)
    140 vs DK Lillee (23.92), RM Hogg (28.47), JR Thomson (28.00), RJ Bright (41.13), AR Border (39.10), DW Hookes (41.00)
    145 vs RGD Willis (25.20), IT Botham (28.40), DL Underwood (25.83), M Hendrick (25.83), GA Gooch (46.47), P Willey (65.14), G Boycott (54.57)
    120* vs Imran Khan (22.81), Sarfraz Nawaz (32.75), Iqbal Qasim (28.11), Mohammad Nazir (33.05), Wasim Raja (35.80)
    182* vs GR Dilley (29.76), IT Botham (28.40), RD Jackman (31.78), JE Emburey (38.40), P Willey (65.14)
    114 vs GR Dilley (29.76), IT Botham (28.40), GB Stevenson (36.60), JE Emburey (38.40), P Willey (65.14), GA Gooch (46.47), G Boycott (54.57)
    109 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), BS Sandhu (55.70), RJ Shastri (40.96), Maninder Singh (37.36), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    120 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), RJ Shastri (40.96), Maninder Singh (37.36), S Madan Lal (38.00), RMH Binny (32.63), NS Yadav (35.09)
    178 vs GF Lawson (30.56), CG Rackermann (29.15), JN Maguire (32.30), TG Hogan (47.06)
    117 vs RGD Willis (25.20), IT Botham (28.40), DR Pringle (35.97), NGB Cook (32.48), G Miller (30.98)
    208 vs GF Lawson (30.56), RM Hogg (28.47), CJ McDermott (28.63), MJ Bennett (54.16), GRJ Matthews (48.22)
    105 vs RJ Hadlee (22.29), EJ Chatfield (32.17), DA Stirling (46.23), MD Crowe (48.28), SL Boock (34.64)
    110* vs IT Botham (28.40), NA Foster (32.85), RM Ellison (29.94), JE Emburey (38.40)
    109* vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), C Sharma (35.45), Maninder Singh (37.36), Arshad Ayub (35.07), RJ Shastri (40.96)
    123 vs Imran Khan (22.81), Wasim Akram (23.62), Abdul Qadir (32.80), Ijaz Faqih (74.75), Shoaib Mohammad (34.00)
    146 vs GF Lawson (30.56), MG Hughes (28.38), AIC Dodemaide (28.02), SR Waugh (37.44), TBA May (34.74)
    110 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), C Sharma (35.45), Arshad Ayub (35.07), M Venkataramana (58.00), RJ Shastri (40.96)

    The man has a fair point.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

  3. #753
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    There are some pretty average Indian, Australian and English attacks mixed in there. But also some quite good ones.

  4. #754
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I have read and reviewed it, will put it up early next week

    Where's the review Arch? It's now late next week.


  5. #755
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    Where's the review Arch? It's now late next week.
    The promblems are:

    1. the new format, means that we put up a book on the front page, so don't put up two or three at a time anymore

    2. Because we want to put up a new book every week I have been stock pileing (does that have an E?), so have about 10 in the wings

    3. We want to leave new books up for a week, but older books will only go up for 3 days

    I can always send it to you if you would like? Or you can wait, I know how excited you get over these sort of things (archie runs and hides )
    You know it makes sense.

  6. #756
    International Captain
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    england
    Posts
    5,691
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    The promblems are:

    1. the new format, means that we put up a book on the front page, so don't put up two or three at a time anymore

    2. Because we want to put up a new book every week I have been stock pileing (does that have an E?), so have about 10 in the wings

    3. We want to leave new books up for a week, but older books will only go up for 3 days

    I can always send it to you if you would like? Or you can wait, I know how excited you get over these sort of things (archie runs and hides )

    I think I can contain myself until you put it on the site. Considering he was still at the height of his career I was very surprised at how scathing Greenidge was about people who he still had to work with. I've never met anyone else who's read it.

  7. #757
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I think I can contain myself until you put it on the site. Considering he was still at the height of his career I was very surprised at how scathing Greenidge was about people who he still had to work with. I've never met anyone else who's read it.
    After I read it, I looked it up in the 1981 Wisden, but they gave no clue as to the content

  8. #758
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Have bought a few cricket books recently.

    The Cricinfo Guide to International cricket 2008 is pretty good. When you are watching the tv, you don't always want to go on the laptop to see profiles of players. This is the second edition of the book and it looks like it will be an annual feature now.

    Two Roebuck books - his autobiography and It Takes All Sorts.

    Am half way through John Wright's Indian Summers and it has been an excellent book so far. A must read for any Indian fan or any one interested in Indian cricket.

  9. #759
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Pratyush View Post
    Have bought a few cricket books recently.

    The Cricinfo Guide to International cricket 2008 is pretty good. When you are watching the tv, you don't always want to go on the laptop to see profiles of players. This is the second edition of the book and it looks like it will be an annual feature now.

    Two Roebuck books - his autobiography and It Takes All Sorts.

    Am half way through John Wright's Indian Summers and it has been an excellent book so far. A must read for any Indian fan or any one interested in Indian cricket.
    I have read the two Roebuck efforts, and I think we have a reviewup of some of them up on the site

  10. #760
    Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    17,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    192* vs S Abid Ali (42.12), ED Solkar (59.44), BS Bedi (28.71), EAP Prasanna (30.38), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    101 vs GJ Gilmour (26.03), JR Thomson (28.00), DK Lillee (23.92), AA Mallett (29.84), IM Chappell (65.80), GS Chappell (40.70)
    142 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), EAP Prasanna (30.38)
    130 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    177 vs S Madan Lal (38.00), M Amarnath (28.00), ED Solkar (59.44), BS Bedi (28.71), BS Chandrasekhar (29.39), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    232 vs JA Snow (26.66), M Hendrick (25.83), CM Old (28.11), AW Greig (32.30), RA Woolmer (74.75), DL Underwood (24.92)
    135 vs M Hendrick (25.83), MWW Selvey (57.16), AW Greig (32.30), DL Underwood (25.83), PI Pocock (44.41)
    291 vs RGD Willis (25.20), MWW Selvey (57.16), DL Underwood (25.83), RA Woolmer (74.75), G Miller (30.98), JC Balderstone (80.00), P Willey (65.14), DS Steele (19.50)
    140 vs DK Lillee (23.92), RM Hogg (28.47), JR Thomson (28.00), RJ Bright (41.13), AR Border (39.10), DW Hookes (41.00)
    145 vs RGD Willis (25.20), IT Botham (28.40), DL Underwood (25.83), M Hendrick (25.83), GA Gooch (46.47), P Willey (65.14), G Boycott (54.57)
    120* vs Imran Khan (22.81), Sarfraz Nawaz (32.75), Iqbal Qasim (28.11), Mohammad Nazir (33.05), Wasim Raja (35.80)
    182* vs GR Dilley (29.76), IT Botham (28.40), RD Jackman (31.78), JE Emburey (38.40), P Willey (65.14)
    114 vs GR Dilley (29.76), IT Botham (28.40), GB Stevenson (36.60), JE Emburey (38.40), P Willey (65.14), GA Gooch (46.47), G Boycott (54.57)
    109 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), BS Sandhu (55.70), RJ Shastri (40.96), Maninder Singh (37.36), S Venkataraghavan (36.11)
    120 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), RJ Shastri (40.96), Maninder Singh (37.36), S Madan Lal (38.00), RMH Binny (32.63), NS Yadav (35.09)
    178 vs GF Lawson (30.56), CG Rackermann (29.15), JN Maguire (32.30), TG Hogan (47.06)
    117 vs RGD Willis (25.20), IT Botham (28.40), DR Pringle (35.97), NGB Cook (32.48), G Miller (30.98)
    208 vs GF Lawson (30.56), RM Hogg (28.47), CJ McDermott (28.63), MJ Bennett (54.16), GRJ Matthews (48.22)
    105 vs RJ Hadlee (22.29), EJ Chatfield (32.17), DA Stirling (46.23), MD Crowe (48.28), SL Boock (34.64)
    110* vs IT Botham (28.40), NA Foster (32.85), RM Ellison (29.94), JE Emburey (38.40)
    109* vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), C Sharma (35.45), Maninder Singh (37.36), Arshad Ayub (35.07), RJ Shastri (40.96)
    123 vs Imran Khan (22.81), Wasim Akram (23.62), Abdul Qadir (32.80), Ijaz Faqih (74.75), Shoaib Mohammad (34.00)
    146 vs GF Lawson (30.56), MG Hughes (28.38), AIC Dodemaide (28.02), SR Waugh (37.44), TBA May (34.74)
    110 vs N Kapil Dev (29.64), C Sharma (35.45), Arshad Ayub (35.07), M Venkataramana (58.00), RJ Shastri (40.96)

    The man has a fair point.

    Stats don't really tell you how each bowler was bowling on that particular day though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

    R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

    R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

    Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

    "How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

  11. #761
    Banned Pratters's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Kolkata, India
    Posts
    20,793
    Yeah, I read your review on It Takes All Sorts. You have good things to say about the book and am looking forward to reading it as well as his more acclaimed autobiography...
    Last edited by Pratters; 12-02-2008 at 06:50 PM.

  12. #762
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    In the middle of Haigh's biography on Warwick Armstrong, The Big Ship. Besides the fascinating character involved, what is incredible to read about is the area he grew up in which is the same place I've lived all my life.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  13. #763
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,118
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Ah, that's one of two golden fleece's for which I'm continuing to search. I've not been able to find it anywhere - its out of print, and I never see much Haigh in any second hand book stores (which tells you something in itself). One day I'll find a copy.
    I'm surprised you can't find Mystery Spinner anywhere. Quick EBay search picked up a soft-cover;

    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MYSTERY-SPINN...QQcmdZViewItem

    I myself have a hard-copy version and it's one of the best cricket books I've ever read.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  14. #764
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,118
    Oh yeah, my offer to review "The Gloves Are Off", Tim Zoehrer's autobiography, stands. It's a public service considering I'm probably the only person in the country who actually paid money for it. Is it a defense that I bought it out of a bargain bin?

  15. #765
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,725
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Oh yeah, my offer to review "The Gloves Are Off", Tim Zoehrer's autobiography, stands. It's a public service considering I'm probably the only person in the country who actually paid money for it. Is it a defense that I bought it out of a bargain bin?
    Would love for you to review it

    We have a review for Mystery Spinner, but we are yet to put it up

Page 51 of 137 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •