• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Midwinter

State Captain
Good evening all

I happened upon "The British Academy of Cricket Manual for Gentlemen and Players"
some years ago. Obviously while it was not meant for us "currency" lads out in the colonies, it did provide valuable insights into the the cricketing way of life in England, particularly the benefits of a good forward defense.

I have been unable to find any references to the Manual since, does any one here have any thoughts on why this may be so ?

Also wondering how many of the correspondents here have their fob-watches set to British Standard Cricketing Time ?

Yours in anticipation

Billy

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think Bodyline do have any more of the leather ones in stock, at least they didn't a month or two ago when I e-mailed to ask them. No harm in asking though of course.
Was this before or after the Olympia "incident" Ollie and if after did you use your real name? :laugh:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The hardback is out of print but sold very well for a cricket book so is by no means rare - would have thought there should be plenty on the second hand market.

I believe Bodyline still have some copies of the limited edition but i dont know the price
There seems to be a problem with their site :@

stumpski

International Captain
The famous book "More than a game"- John Major is very fascinating. John Major’s history of cricket reflects passion for the game.Throughout John Major’s life, one of the best factors has been his deep love of cricket.
---------------------------------------------
Selina

It's had mixed reviews that one, I may look for it next time I'm in the library I think.

Nice to see some newcomers on here - not sure how all those links beat my 'sig-block' though. :dry:

Last edited by a moderator:

archie mac

International Coach
Good evening all

I happened upon "The British Academy of Cricket Manual for Gentlemen and Players"
some years ago. Obviously while it was not meant for us "currency" lads out in the colonies, it did provide valuable insights into the the cricketing way of life in England, particularly the benefits of a good forward defense.

I have been unable to find any references to the Manual since, does any one here have any thoughts on why this may be so ?

Also wondering how many of the correspondents here have their fob-watches set to British Standard Cricketing Time ?

Yours in anticipation

Billy
Do you have an author? I went through all of Padwicks and can find no metion of it:-O

Does you user name imply that like David Frith you never lose the Ashes?

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Oh no it is some satirical nonsense. I've got a reprinted edition of it. It is quite profusely illustrated with nonsensical things.

Worth getting though, will probably give you a laugh, and you can pick it up quite cheaply.

archie mac

International Coach
Oh no it is some satirical nonsense. I've got a reprinted edition of it. It is quite profusely illustrated with nonsensical things.

Worth getting though, will probably give you a laugh, and you can pick it up quite cheaply.
So Billy was just winding me up!:@

wisden18

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well perhaps to be fairer to him, he was merely describing the book in a way the authors would be proud; or put another way: YES!

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
It takes far far too long to get a review up. This is just the kind of thing that makes one lose interest in writing here.

If I was to review all the books I wanted to, at this rate I may not live to see them on the site :dry:

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
3 mistakes of my life--By Chetan Bhagat.........

It's not completely cricket......but a must read.......

Based on life of three friends & cricket,bussines,tragedies,love etc.

Written by currently the best Indian author Chetan Bhagat..

Costs around Rs.95 only....(around $2.00)
I wonder if anyone on cricketweb has read it....

More at:
www.chetanbhagat.com

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
3 mistakes of my life--By Chetan Bhagat.........

It's not completely cricket......but a must read.......

Based on life of three friends & cricket,bussines,tragedies,love etc.

Written by currently the best Indian author Chetan Bhagat..

Costs around Rs.95 only....(around $2.00)
I wonder if anyone on cricketweb has read it....

More at:
www.chetanbhagat.com
Jonty, you want to read a good book published in India and easily available then buy The Picador Book of Cricket. A collection of Essays (compiled by Guha) by some of the greatest cricket writers. Its a superb anthology. Read it if you haven't and dump Chetan Bhagat if you want to be serious about reading cricket literature :)

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Jonty, you want to read a good book published in India and easily available then buy The Picador Book of Cricket. A collection of Essays (compiled by Guha) by some of the greatest cricket writers. Its a superb anthology. Read it if you haven't and dump Chetan Bhagat if you want to be serious about reading cricket literature :)
I was just expressing my feelings on my favourite book.....(favourite bcoz it is based on cricket too)......:)

I have very less knowledge about cricket books......although i have rarely missed any match from last ten years(from the age of six).......

Now I m 16 and time to look at cricket books too.......:)

So,I will consider your The Picador Book of Cricket....:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I was just expressing my feelings on my favourite book.....(favourite bcoz it is based on cricket too)......:)

I have very less knowledge about cricket books......although i have rarely missed any match from last ten years(from the age of six).......

Now I m 16 and time to look at cricket books too.......:)

So,I will consider your The Picador Book of Cricket....:)
Its good to read Anthologies. They are easy to "write" of course. All Guha had to do was to collect his favourite essays, catagorise them, apply for Copyright permission (and state applied for and awaited if not forthcoming) and go ahead and publish. One more book against your name and you get listed as a 'writer' of cricket books :)

But they do a big favour to the reader.

You wont be able to buy al the books he has picked up these essays from. So he does it for you and then choses some gems from them and puts them together.

Great.

There are many great anthologies available, I recommend this to you not only because it is very good but also because it is so easily available in India.

Jonty Lathwal

U19 Debutant
Its good to read Anthologies. They are easy to "write" of course. All Guha had to do was to collect his favourite essays, catagorise them, apply for Copyright permission (and state applied for and awaited if not forthcoming) and go ahead and publish. One more book against your name and you get listed as a 'writer' of cricket books :)

But they do a big favour to the reader.

You wont be able to buy al the books he has picked up these essays from. So he does it for you and then choses some gems from them and puts them together.

Great.

There are many great anthologies available, I recommend this to you not only because it is very good but also because it is so easily available in India.

Thanx......Cha-cha ji .............i will get it as soon as possible.....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am given to understand that Joseph O'Neill's much-hailed Netherland, a sociological apologue of Gatsby's ilk, is a burgeoning classic. Annoyingly, it is yet to dock on South African shores.
By the way, Rodney, I presume, in your pursuit of the 1882 series literature, you do have The Birth of The Ashes by Christopher Hilton.

I am sure you have but just reminded as my copy from Amazon just arrived :)