• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
Some great authors on that list SJS. Did you read the review of AA Thomson's 'Cricket My Pleasure' on our site?

There are quite a few on your list I have not read, I recently picked up a copy of 'A Walk to The Wicket' . So I will have too read that one soon. Also have a copy of the Ranji book but have not read it as yet :)

You once told me about a couple of books to do with Indian cricket, I wrote them down but have now lost the list, can you remember them? I told you at the time that I had just finished 'A Corner of a Foreign Field' by Guha
Hi Archie_mac

No I didnt read the review but I have Cricket My Pleasure By AAT. I am a great fan of his and buy any of his books I come across. Ditto with Cardus.

Ranji's book is great because it gives you an insight into how the game has progressed techniquewise.It has many pictures of old timers showing off their strokes and stances and I found that fascinating too. I am trying to collect cricket coaching books down the last 200 years for some research work. So its of great interest to me. Otherwise everyone may not find it such a great read :).

On Indian cricket one of the books I recommend is Rajan Bala's The Covers Are Off. You have to forget the poor editing and poorer photographs. Rajan was a passionate cricket journalist (still writes off and on) and hugely interested in the inside-politics of Indian cricket. I have met him twice at a friends place and it was fascinating to hear him discuss the politics of the game in India in a very intimate knowing manner. This was not gossip heard from the party circle but first hand account of his interactions with the personalities involved. Rajan being a highly respected journalist was on very intimate terms with most Indian top cricketers and administrators of the sixties, seventies and eighties.

You have already read Guha's book. Other than these I cant think of any really good books to recommend.

I like Rajinder Amarnaths book on his father The Makings of A Legend - Lala Amarnath. Again I like it because of the historical events and the internal goings on in Indian Cricket before I was born. It may not interest those not familiar with Indian Cricket. I found it fascinating.

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Ranji's book is great because it gives you an insight into how the game has progressed techniquewise.It has many pictures of old timers showing off their strokes and stances and I found that fascinating too. I am trying to collect cricket coaching books down the last 200 years for some research work. So its of great interest to me. Otherwise everyone may not find it such a great read :).
I have a couple you may not have read both instructional books one by Murdoch and one by WW Armstrong which I have not read but it has a DJ which makes it quite rare
:)

You are right most people would find them boring, and I must admit I am one of those:D

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I have a couple you may not have read both instructional books one by Murdoch and one by WW Armstrong which I have not read but it has a DJ which makes it quite rare
I envy you :)

BTW, I am very impressed with your voracious cricket reading. What do you read besides cricket ?

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
I envy you :)

BTW, I am very impressed with your voracious cricket reading. What do you read besides cricket ?
I just finished the Da Vinci Code, really enjoyed it, and plan too see the movie. Although every movie I have seen after reading the book I have been left a little disapointed.

I quite enjoy Raymond E Feist, Clive Barker and David Lindsay, but tbh cricket books are my favourites.

How about yourself?

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
archie mac said:
My list didnot include bios, as I have a seperate list on the CW cricket book site. My 12 top bios did include Batting From Memory, and On Top Down Under was in my top 12 but in the end I had to leave it out. I have read all of those (except the Moyes) and wrote a review of the Slater book. :)

Are you still going to write a review of the Fleming bio?
Yes. I am rereading it now and making some notes for the review. will probably have it done by the end of the week.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
I just finished the Da Vinci Code, really enjoyed it, and plan too see the movie. Although every movie I have seen after reading the book I have been left a little disapointed.

I quite enjoy Raymond E Feist, Clive Barker and David Lindsay, but tbh cricket books are my favourites.

How about yourself?
Besides cricket ? Well...I stopped reading fiction decades ago tghough my brother took on a bet with my elder son that he would give me a fiction book that I would read from cover to cover. My son said it was impossible, I would never do it. My brother won. The book was Da Vinci Code ! Since then I have read Angels and Demons, also by Dan Brown.

I read a lot of books on history, philosophy, religion and politics. Most of my books, besides cricket are of these subjects. I also read what could losely be termed knowledge books. Basically non-fiction covering a variety of topics.

Due to my very busy work scedule of last 26 years (!!!) I have bought many more books than I have been able to read. So now that I am retiring, this is one of the six things on my list of what I am going to do with my life - read all the books that I have bought and will buy :)

archie mac

International Coach
armchairumpire said:
Yes. I am rereading it now and making some notes for the review. will probably have it done by the end of the week.
Great news :cool:

We are trying to keep the reviews to 500 words max. (Although I have gone over more often then not)

archie mac

International Coach
SJS said:
Besides cricket ? Well...I stopped reading fiction decades ago tghough my brother took on a bet with my elder son that he would give me a fiction book that I would read from cover to cover. My son said it was impossible, I would never do it. My brother won. The book was Da Vinci Code ! Since then I have read Angels and Demons, also by Dan Brown.

I read a lot of books on history, philosophy, religion and politics. Most of my books, besides cricket are of these subjects. I also read what could losely be termed knowledge books. Basically non-fiction covering a variety of topics.

Due to my very busy work scedule of last 26 years (!!!) I have bought many more books than I have been able to read. So now that I am retiring, this is one of the six things on my list of what I am going to do with my life - read all the books that I have bought and will buy :)
How was Angels and Demons?

You were going to write a review for CW of a David Lemon book you were reading?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
How was Angels and Demons?

You were going to write a review for CW of a David Lemon book you were reading?
Angels and Demons was also pacy like DVC. I quite enjoyed it. It has a similar setting (Vatican and Christian politics) and the same hero. I would recommend it.

Yes I kn ow about that review. I am getting lazier as my retirement date is approaching :).

I wont take too long I promise. All notes are done. I just need to 'stitch" them together :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
archie mac said:
Great news :cool:

We are trying to keep the reviews to 500 words max. (Although I have gone over more often then not)
eeek. my Perry one is two-thirds done and is around 800-900 already. It's only a draft, and i always lose about a third when i go through and tidy it up.

archie mac

International Coach
Matt79 said:
eeek. my Perry one is two-thirds done and is around 800-900 already. It's only a draft, and i always lose about a third when i go through and tidy it up.
Yes it is hard to keep them down to 500 words, so I would not worry too much :)

archie mac

International Coach
Okay we have a new reivew up, and it is not by me!

Penguins Stopped Play Thanks to Eddie for this, sounds like a funny/interesting read:)

We also have one coming from SJS as soon as Mr Voltman passes his trained eye over it.

Not sure what has happened to Matt79?

So if you have read a cricket book of late, and would like some writing practice these reviews are a good way to obtain that practice, since your work will be proof read.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Trained? I bluffed my way into this job, archie.

PS. Don't tell anyone - especially James.

archie mac

International Coach
Voltman said:
Trained? I bluffed my way into this job, archie.

PS. Don't tell anyone - especially James.

Shush, I am hunting book reviewers here, you must be very still and only speak soto voce, otherwise we will scare them away :mellow:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Proof-reader alert - awooga! awooga!

Two sets of quotes have been butchered by the editor - which is surprising seeing as it was written in Open Office Writer without Smart Quotes.

Paragraph two, 'Scotties'
Paragraph eight, 'glunk'.

/God. When you've got to proof-read the proof-reader
//Runs

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
That's strange - I tend to use Wordpad, and that's usually fine - perhaps I used something else this time.

I can't edit it sadly - at least, as far as I know.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Proof-reader alert - awooga! awooga!

Two sets of quotes have been butchered by the editor - which is surprising seeing as it was written in Open Office Writer without Smart Quotes.

Paragraph two, 'Scotties'
Paragraph eight, 'glunk'.

/God. When you've got to proof-read the proof-reader
//Runs
BTW, I have sent in the review of Cricket Mercenaries. Hope it has been recieved.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Voltman said:
That's strange - I tend to use Wordpad, and that's usually fine - perhaps I used something else this time.

I can't edit it sadly - at least, as far as I know.
By 'editor' I meant the software medium, as opposed to the liveware interface (i.e.you)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
archie mac said:
So if you have read a cricket book of late, and would like some writing practice these reviews are a good way to obtain that practice, since your work will be proof read.
Interesting that you use proof-reading and editing as a selling point to get more reviews..

I'm not saying I'm correct in my mentality, but Ive always held the philosophy that if you pay me for work then you can do what you like to it. It is yours to make better or butcher as you see fit. However, if it is a free submission then hands off. You can choose to publish or not publish but if you do go with it then it must be published 'as is'.

archie mac

International Coach
Goughy said:
Interesting that you use proof-reading and editing as a selling point to get more reviews..

I'm not saying I'm correct in my mentality, but Ive always held the philosophy that if you pay me for work then you can do what you like to it. It is yours to make better or butcher as you see fit. However, if it is a free submission then hands off. You can choose to publish or not publish but if you do go with it then it must be published 'as is'.
The idea is that it will help your writing, re-format, grammar etc.

I have had a couple of things published and they have edited it every time, so I think that is fairly common practice these days.

It may been a little misleading, after the proof reading stage it is send back to the writer of the review. At this stage they can argue the point or make other changes themselves.

So far I have only had minor changes made to my work, and each time I think it has improved the review. :)