Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

First Class Debutant
    From Best of the Best :
    Viv Richards is an interesting case, falling outside the top 20 due to the number of runs he scored against statistically weak attacks.

Cant imagine this realistically, when he was chosen as Wisden's Top 5 of the last century and generally acknowledged amongst his peers and followers as the supreme striker of the sphere

Anyone read Botham's latest? Seems to have said Viv > Bradman, but that could be the media misrepresenting it though. Here's a quote from an interview though:

"Viv and I were great for each other, and I regard him as the best player who ever played cricket. Bradman got all the records, but I wonder if Bradman could have adjusted to 20-, 40-, 50-over cricket as well as Test matches? When you look at footage from the 1930s, there's no science about the field placings. They were the same when the batsman arrived at the crease as they were when he'd scored 300. Obviously Bradman was an exceptional talent, but I find it hard to comprehend anyone ever being better than Viv."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/crick...cle3289163.ece
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Anyone read Botham's latest? Seems to have said Viv > Bradman, but that could be the media misrepresenting it though. Here's a quote from an interview though:

"Viv and I were great for each other, and I regard him as the best player who ever played cricket. Bradman got all the records, but I wonder if Bradman could have adjusted to 20-, 40-, 50-over cricket as well as Test matches? When you look at footage from the 1930s, there's no science about the field placings. They were the same when the batsman arrived at the crease as they were when he'd scored 300. Obviously Bradman was an exceptional talent, but I find it hard to comprehend anyone ever being better than Viv."

Never said that, in fact if i remember correctly he wrote Bradman is the greatest ever
    You know it makes sense.

I got "Inside Story" by Gideon Haigh and David Frith for Xmas - finally got a chance to sit down and have a quick flick through it today - looks very good. And no Sean - if its taken me a week to get a chance to sit down and begin to read it, I don't have time to do a review mate...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I got "Inside Story" by Gideon Haigh and David Frith for Xmas - finally got a chance to sit down and have a quick flick through it today - looks very good. And no Sean - if its taken me a week to get a chance to sit down and begin to read it, I don't have time to do a review mate...
    Your in luck mate, I have already written a review

In fact we have two

Fine then, be that way.

Fine then, be that way.

On the other hand the Bobby Simpson book you read.....

can't see a link on the site for them though...

can't see a link on the site for them though...
    No, we are going to make some changes and I am saving those reviews and the one on Dizzy's new book until then

International Captain

We've discussed Botham's pile of self congratulatory, factually incorrect pile of pointless dross a few pages back. Botham says in the Legends of Cricket television series that Richards is the best player he's ever seen and he finds it hard to believe anyone could be better.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Anyone read Botham's latest?
    It is being debated with no small measure of chagrin by my comrades in intellectual snobbery over on R.S.C.:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...8f331c5a862c00
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    We've discussed Botham's pile of self congratulatory, factually incorrect pile of pointless dross a few pages back. Botham says in the Legends of Cricket television series that Richards is the best player he's ever seen and he finds it hard to believe anyone could be better.
    By far the best take that I have read on it is this: "He is guilty of inflating the worth of Viv Richards because Richards caned Botham himself. It makes Botham feel better. It heightens his ego to think 'this guy Richards absolutely flogged me, he made me look second rate, therefore Viv Richards must have been the best batsman of all time'.

"It is an ego-boosting and preservation exercise on the part of Botham. It has nothing to do with whether Viv Richards was actually as good as Botham says. It is all about preserving Botham's opinion of Botham."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...9836f80dc4efba

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    By far the best take that I have read on it is this: "He is guilty of inflating the worth of Viv Richards because Richards caned Botham himself. It makes Botham feel better. It heightens his ego to think 'this guy Richards absolutely flogged me, he made me look second rate, therefore Viv Richards must have been the best batsman of all time'.

"It is an ego-boosting and preservation exercise on the part of Botham. It has nothing to do with whether Viv Richards was actually as good as Botham says. It is all about preserving Botham's opinion of Botham."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...9836f80dc4efba
    I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever. The fact that he and Viv found "fame" whilst living together, are best friends and Viv is Godfather to his children is morely likely what makes him slightly biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Lillian Thomson View Post
    I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever. The fact that he and Viv found "fame" whilst living together, are best friends and Viv is Godfather to his children is morely likely what makes him slightly biased.
    And the fact that Viv was a bloody good batsman!

International Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    It is being debated with no small measure of chagrin by my comrades in intellectual snobbery over on R.S.C.:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.s...8f331c5a862c00

I've no doubt they're greatly troubled by his constant use of the phrase "try and" instead of "try to".

Page 48 of 137 FirstFirst ... 3846474849505898 ... LastLast

Thread Information