• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Can anyone recommend any cricket related books that actually don’t (intrinsically) focus upon the game itself and its nuances but rather on cricket’s cultural and social significance within society or upon the political climate of its era?

Most South African texts written since the country’s literature Black renaissance have used this approach and they are the cricket books I keep returning to.

Or any recommendations for any cricket books that are irreverent, away from the perceived norm of cricketing literature?

Cheers
Two that immediately come to mind are CLR James's Beyond a Boundary - a classic, and to a lesser extent, Basil D'Oliviera by Peter Osborne. But then you have already mentioned that you are reading the South African books so may have read the latter.

In the Indian and sub-continental context, A Corner of A Foreign Field by Ramchandra Guha is really good. But you have to remember its the history of cricket in Colonial India and the context is historical. Many people find such reading heavy. I love love it myself but thought I should mention that.

I must emphasise that except for CLR James book the others are not exactly as per what you have asked but they are books not just about the cricket but tell a lot about the historical and social conditions prevailing at the times under discussion.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Can anyone recommend any cricket related books that actually don’t (intrinsically) focus upon the game itself and its nuances but rather on cricket’s cultural and social significance within society or upon the political climate of its era?

Most South African texts written since the country’s literature Black renaissance have used this approach and they are the cricket books I keep returning to.

Or any recommendations for any cricket books that are irreverent, away from the perceived norm of cricketing literature?

Cheers
You could try "Cricket and Race" by Jack Williams - South African affairs figure strongly although it is a book about attitudes in England - it can be a bit heavy going in places but is well worth a read - the thoroughness of the author's research certainly cant be faulted - in a book of a shade over 200 pages the bibliography then stretches into a tenth page - I don't recall offhand seeing another book with one anything like as long as that!

pasag

RTDAS
Anyone But England

I wanted so much to enjoy this book, as I had heard many good things, and it had proven to be very popular, being re-released and enlarged in 2005, with a number of reviews comparing it favourably with the classic Beyond a Boundary.

In the end I was quite surprised that anyone enjoyed this publication; it reminded me of a court case in which only the prosecutor was given the opportunity of presenting his case, and just to be nice he would then give a few little bits of testimony for the defendants. As if to say: 'I will save the defense the trouble and the court time, my Lord, by presenting their limited case as well as that of the prosecution'... Click here for more.

stumpski

International Captain

Cheers

The two Dave Podmore books (extract from one of his Guardian columns here) are a clever spoof on county cricket and an antidote to all the bland ghost-written autobiogs you tend to get now. 'Pod' is a boorish amalgam of Botham and Gatting (with touches of Larkins and Tufnell thrown in) but without a shred of the talent of any of them. Opinionated, deluded and complacent - he can also be tracked down on Youtube but works better as a literary character I think.

stumpski

International Captain
Thought it would be interesting to read something a bit different - so I just picked this up for a fiver (inc postage). Will let you know what I thought of it in due course.

fredfertang

So what is the received wisdom about limited editions? Does it make a difference if there is an ordinary “unlimited” edition together with a tiny number of leatherbound signed and/or slipcased copies or it’s just a strictly limited number of copies?

Being a bit of a sucker for a limited edition would be interested to know what others think.

archie mac

International Coach
So what is the received wisdom about limited editions? Does it make a difference if there is an ordinary “unlimited” edition together with a tiny number of leatherbound signed and/or slipcased copies or it’s just a strictly limited number of copies?

Being a bit of a sucker for a limited edition would be interested to know what others think.
Pretty rare to lose any money on LDT editions, there are ones like the Allan Border Beyond 10,000, where there were more copies printed of the LTD edition then the normal edition

Some of the LDTs like Ranji's Jub. edition are now worth a quite a bit:)

fredfertang

Yes I have heard of that – isn’t there a similar number of a leather bound limited edition of Mark Taylor’s autobiography? I cant believe these editions sell out but you don’t see them for sale with great frequency – were they remaindered on strict condition they were not removed to the northern hemisphere or are the publishers just hanging on to the surplus?

I was surprised they produced what in comparison was a mere 1,000 of that Shane Warne Illustrated thing and even that, which in comparative terms I would have thought would be quite popular, is still widely available.

What I really wonder about are authors who produce, say, 50 copies of something and sell it at, say, £50 a go when a “normal” run of 500 would sell for £5 a pop – if there is any literary merit in these items is it right they should be denied to the majority of collectors for reasons relating solely to the author's “kudos”?

Irving Rosenwater is a slightly different example in that the financial side is irrelevant – he was a terrific writer who produced many limited edition monographs in up to 100 copy runs (but usually 50 or less) – in particular in 1993 he produced a monograph about Douglas Jardine – 50 copies only, none sold (ie just given away to the cognoscenti) and if you want a copy now it will set you back around £500 – it’s an excellent piece but denied to so many.

stumpski

International Captain
You'd know more about this than I do Fred, but I'd have thought the leather-bound Wisdens will be extremely sought after in a few years - they're not exactly cheap now. Do you have any?

fredfertang

No I've given them a miss up to now but have thought that was probably a mistake - they don't seem to come up so don't know the current value ............. so that probably answers the question!!!

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member

Derek Birley's "Social History of English Cricket" is very good indeed.

I also enjoyed "Anyone But England", even if Archie disagrees with me on that one. :)

archie mac

International Coach
Yes I have heard of that – isn’t there a similar number of a leather bound limited edition of Mark Taylor’s autobiography? I cant believe these editions sell out but you don’t see them for sale with great frequency – were they remaindered on strict condition they were not removed to the northern hemisphere or are the publishers just hanging on to the surplus?

I was surprised they produced what in comparison was a mere 1,000 of that Shane Warne Illustrated thing and even that, which in comparative terms I would have thought would be quite popular, is still widely available.

What I really wonder about are authors who produce, say, 50 copies of something and sell it at, say, £50 a go when a “normal” run of 500 would sell for £5 a pop – if there is any literary merit in these items is it right they should be denied to the majority of collectors for reasons relating solely to the author's “kudos”?

Irving Rosenwater is a slightly different example in that the financial side is irrelevant – he was a terrific writer who produced many limited edition monographs in up to 100 copy runs (but usually 50 or less) – in particular in 1993 he produced a monograph about Douglas Jardine – 50 copies only, none sold (ie just given away to the cognoscenti) and if you want a copy now it will set you back around £500 – it’s an excellent piece but denied to so many.
It is much cheaper, printing wise, to publish a small number and make the book a LTD edition and sell it for a decent amount.

Some of these books like the one I just read about a little known Aust Test player, do not have that much appeal to the masses:)

I have one of the LTD edition Aust. Wisdens they only printed 100 copies of each, maybe one day that will be worth a bit:cool:

fredfertang

Some of these books like the one I just read about a little known Aust Test player, do not have that much appeal to the masses
lol

Yes of course Archie - I keep forgetting that I am in a very small minority - how anyone with more than a passing interest in the game is not be entranced by its literature is beyond my comprehension but .....................................

archie mac

International Coach
Some of these books like the one I just read about a little known Aust Test player, do not have that much appeal to the masses

lol

Yes of course Archie - I keep forgetting that I am in a very small minority - how anyone with more than a passing interest in the game is not be entranced by its literature is beyond my comprehension but .....................................
They are a word beginning with 'P':ph34r:

fredfertang

Well that opens up a number of possibilities Archie - on the basis thats a competition I will pass given that I appear yet to be some way off the pace when it comes to working out the collective sense of humour of this Forum. ........................................ but dont worry I am nothing if not persistent - I will get there...................... it will just take a while!

archie mac

International Coach
Well that opens up a number of possibilities Archie - on the basis thats a competition I will pass given that I appear yet to be some way off the pace when it comes to working out the collective sense of humour of this Forum. ........................................ but dont worry I am nothing if not persistent - I will get there...................... it will just take a while!
Philistines:ph34r:

neville cardus

International Debutant
Two that immediately come to mind are CLR James's Beyond a Boundary - a classic, and to a lesser extent, Basil D'Oliviera by Peter Osborne. But then you have already mentioned that you are reading the South African books so may have read the latter.
As far as South African works of this persuasion go, there is much to recommend John Nauright. His noesis is broad, his insight acute and his love of the South African game profound. He contributes an erudite essay on its growth to the Stoddart- and Sandiford-edited tome to which I earlier alluded.

In the Indian and sub-continental context, A Corner of A Foreign Field by Ramchandra Guha is really good. But you have to remember its the history of cricket in Colonial India and the context is historical. Many people find such reading heavy.
I first sat down with it when I was thirteen, found it too donnish and have not touched it since, but I was both callow and in the throes of a severe illness at the time. Perhaps good health and university have changed me sufficiently to essay another attempt. I am yet to hear a bad word spoken about the book that does not come from my oral cavity.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I first sat down with it when I was thirteen, found it too donnish and have not touched it since, but I was both callow and in the throes of a severe illness at the time. Perhaps good health and university have changed me sufficiently to essay another attempt. I am yet to hear a bad word spoken about the book that does not come from my oral cavity.
From 'donninsh' I presume you mean 'scohool masterly'. If so, you are correct. Thats Guha's nature. I don't particularly like the chap. He is too full of himself and seems to have a very high opinion of himself (not difficult to to have such an attitude when you come across millions with such shallow knowledge of the game compared to yourself and yet behaving like pundits).

I too avoided his books for similar reasons once but starting with the anthology, I moved to this one and find it a good history though a heavy read.