• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
The Gibson preview of the 1897/98 tour would be good. Also, does Ranji make any reference to Syd Gregory in his piece on fielding?

neville cardus

International Debutant
The Gibson preview of the 1897/98 tour would be good.
Watch this space. It is not a particularly good piece -- Gibson is as digressive as Benaud in My Spin --, but it is replete with anecdote.

Also, does Ranji make any reference to Syd Gregory in his piece on fielding?
As it turns out, that piece is just an excerpt from his then-forthcoming Jubilee Book. I'll scan it, though, in case you do not have said book, and let you see for yourself.

Last edited:

neville cardus

International Debutant
In return, would you chaps mind browsing through your respective personal libraries in search of Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin. Both were present at the 1882 Test Match, and both wrote about it. :)

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
As it turns out, that piece is just an excerpt from his then-forthcoming Jubilee Book
I wondered if that was the case. Interesting stuff nonetheless.

Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin
Strangely enough, my personal library doesn't include much on British politics, but I'm sure Archie will have it. If not, let me know and I can probably get it through the inter-library loan system at uni.

archie mac

International Coach
In return, would you chaps mind browsing through your respective personal libraries in search of Mary Gladstone (Mrs. Drew), Her Diaries and Letters and a similar volume on John Ruskin. Both were present at the 1882 Test Match, and both wrote about it. :)
I shall have a check:)

neville cardus

International Debutant
I wondered if that was the case. Interesting stuff nonetheless.
You don't have it, then?

Strangely enough, my personal library doesn't include much on British politics,
Whereas mine, remarkably, has an embarrassment. I went through it tonight and was (pleasantly) surprised at the cornucopia of tomes on Peel, Gladstone and Disraeli.

The Victorians were a fascinating bunch, and more in love with their cricket than perhaps any other historical people from the game's land of birth. Overall, they are probably surpassed only by modern-day subcontinentals.

but I'm sure Archie will have it.
Thanks to him for taking a gander.

If not, let me know and I can probably get it through the inter-library loan system at uni.
And thanks to you for that very kind offer.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Am reading on the history of cricket indepth. Have finished about 30% of John Major's Early Years of Cricket. Up next will be Nyren's widely acclaimed book after which will be Great Characters from the Golden Age by Malaise and finally Glory Days of Cricket by Ashley Mote.

Had ordered the new Wisden and can't wait for it to arrive.

Some good reading ahead... :)

archie mac

International Coach
Am reading on the history of cricket indepth. Have finished about 30% of John Major's Early Years of Cricket. Up next will be Nyren's widely acclaimed book after which will be Great Characters from the Golden Age by Malaise and finally Glory Days of Cricket by Ashley Mote.

Had ordered the new Wisden and can't wait for it to arrive.

Some good reading ahead... :)

All are good reads, so enjoy:cool:

Isaac C

Cricket Spectator
In terms of autobiographies then there’s 3 which really stand out.

1. Shane Warne My Illustrated Career
For me probably the best cricket autobiography I've ever read.

2. Shane Warne: My Autobiography
Again another great book.

3. Michael Atherton: Opening Up

Just behind the other two; he talks about what it was like captaining England in the 1990's and many other things.

Also Michael Vaughn's a year in the sun is a very good book and I'm currently reading Ian Bothams autobiography.

archie mac

International Coach
In terms of autobiographies then there’s 3 which really stand out.

1. Shane Warne My Illustrated Career
For me probably the best cricket autobiography I've ever read.

2. Shane Warne: My Autobiography
Again another great book.

3. Michael Atherton: Opening Up

Just behind the other two; he talks about what it was like captaining England in the 1990's and many other things.

Also Michael Vaughn's a year in the sun is a very good book and I'm currently reading Ian Bothams autobiography.
I thought the Atherton book much, much better than the Warne bio

Isaac C

Cricket Spectator
I thought the Atherton book much, much better than the Warne bio
Another I forgot to put on there was Alec Stewarts autobiography is quite good. There isn't another Shane Warne type book on the market eg. from an Aussie playing in this current era. There's been a few Atherton style books from guys like Stewart. But I'm not putting it down at all its a brilliant book.

stumpski

International Captain
Rescuing this thread after a moribund month. Surprised at Archie, letting it go that long ... :D

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Martin Bicknell's book, Bickers, in, surprisingly, a Maidstone shop at the weekend. One of my favourite players so I've been trying to track it down. Very disappointed in what I saw - 195 pages in hardback, suspiciously large print and wide spaced lines (would have been only 120-130 pp in 'normal' print I reckon). £16.99 for a book I could read in two hours really isn't on - after 20 years in the game I'm surprised he didn't have more to say for himself.

archie mac

International Coach
Rescuing this thread after a moribund month. Surprised at Archie, letting it go that long ... :D

Just thought I'd mention that I saw Martin Bicknell's book, Bickers, in, surprisingly, a Maidstone shop at the weekend. One of my favourite players so I've been trying to track it down. Very disappointed in what I saw - 195 pages in hardback, suspiciously large print and wide spaced lines (would have been only 120-130 pp in 'normal' print I reckon). £16.99 for a book I could read in two hours really isn't on - after 20 years in the game I'm surprised he didn't have more to say for himself.
Does sound a little pricey, you might have to wait for the paper pack or the Ebay cast off:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I am reading a book I have had for sometimes but hadn't found the time to read.

The DON
By Roland Perry
Based on interviews with Sir Donald.
Publisher : Sidgewick and Jackson​

As a habit, I rarely read books from the beginning to end but any chapter in it that I feel like. I started this one reading about the bodyline series (easily what influences me most to buy anything remotely coming from the Don himself) and I am absolutely fascinated. It is one of the finest accounts of that series that I have ever read. You are not just transported to those times, it actually puts you on the field.

Buy the book and read it just for this. You will never regret any money you may spend on getting it.

pasag

RTDAS
I am reading a book I have had for sometimes but hadn't found the time to read.

The DON
By Roland Perry
Based on interviews with Sir Donald.
Publisher : Sidgewick and Jackson​

As a habit, I rarely read books from the beginning to end but any chapter in it that I feel like. I started this one reading about the bodyline series (easily what influences me most to buy anything remotely coming from the Don himself) and I am absolutely fascinated. It is one of the finest accounts of that series that I have ever read. You are not just transported to those times, it actually puts you on the field.

Buy the book and read it just for this. You will never regret any money you may spend on getting it.
Am a big fan of this book, but it's not what you'd call critically acclaimed. Archie can explain further if he likes...