• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Yeah, I read your review on It Takes All Sorts. You have good things to say about the book and am looking forward to reading it as well as his more acclaimed autobiography... :)

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
In the middle of Haigh's biography on Warwick Armstrong, The Big Ship. Besides the fascinating character involved, what is incredible to read about is the area he grew up in which is the same place I've lived all my life.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ah, that's one of two golden fleece's for which I'm continuing to search. I've not been able to find it anywhere - its out of print, and I never see much Haigh in any second hand book stores (which tells you something in itself). One day I'll find a copy.
I'm surprised you can't find Mystery Spinner anywhere. Quick EBay search picked up a soft-cover;

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MYSTERY-SPIN...ryZ32043QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I myself have a hard-copy version and it's one of the best cricket books I've ever read.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh yeah, my offer to review "The Gloves Are Off", Tim Zoehrer's autobiography, stands. It's a public service considering I'm probably the only person in the country who actually paid money for it. Is it a defense that I bought it out of a bargain bin? :D

archie mac

International Coach
Oh yeah, my offer to review "The Gloves Are Off", Tim Zoehrer's autobiography, stands. It's a public service considering I'm probably the only person in the country who actually paid money for it. Is it a defense that I bought it out of a bargain bin? :D
Would love for you to review it:)

We have a review for Mystery Spinner, but we are yet to put it up

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
It's a public service considering I'm probably the only person in the country who actually paid money for it.
Not the only one - I too have a copy that I paid for. $1 at the Tamworth Rotary Book Fair about two years ago. And it was probaby over-priced at that :)

AussieFlea

Cricket Spectator
I only have a few cricket books myself, but my Pop has an incredible collection of over 1500 books (and yes, every Wisden bar one) stored in his garage that he's bought over the past few years on the street, in shops and eBay. He actually keeps an up-to-date excel document of the books title, their cost and publish date -- I'll email him tonight and see if I can get a few pics of the collection.

Joe Ninety

School Boy/Girl Captain
Archie - thats the very one.Only read the introduction so far,I'll have some time tonight to delve in to it.

Aussie Flea - that collection sounds fantastic, I' only up to about fifty books. Photos would be well appreciated for a beginning collector. Does your Pop let you read those books?

archie mac

International Coach
I only have a few cricket books myself, but my Pop has an incredible collection of over 1500 books (and yes, every Wisden bar one) stored in his garage that he's bought over the past few years on the street, in shops and eBay. He actually keeps an up-to-date excel document of the books title, their cost and publish date -- I'll email him tonight and see if I can get a few pics of the collection.
My mouth is watering:surprise:

I also keep an excel document:cool:

And yes photos would be great:)

AussieFlea

Cricket Spectator
Couldn't get those pics tonight guys, I'll try again tomorrow.

Aussie Flea - that collection sounds fantastic, I' only up to about fifty books. Photos would be well appreciated for a beginning collector. Does your Pop let you read those books?
I haven't asked, but I'm pretty sure he'd let me borrow them. :)

pasag

RTDAS
Haigh's few chapters in The Big Ship about the war between the Melbourne Cricket Club-SACA-The players and the State associations in 1905 is one of the most engrossing things on cricket I've read.

archie mac

International Coach
Haigh's few chapters in The Big Ship about the war between the Melbourne Cricket Club-SACA-The players and the State associations in 1905 is one of the most engrossing things on cricket I've read.
Yes, great stuff, I would hate to take on WWA he must have been one tough opponent

neville cardus

International Debutant
In a veritable muffin of a second-hand bookstore out here in Grahamstown, I have picked up, among others, Tiger's Cricket Conquest, Lord Hawke's autobiography and, perhaps most impressively, the fourth volume of The Windsor Magazine, which includes "Cricketers I Have Met", the celebrated article which propelled Fry into literary eminence; a twelve-page dissertation by Ranji on the art of fielding; a feature story on the last-mentioned; and some cricketing anecdotes by Albert Gibson in a preview of Stoddart's 1897/98 tour.