• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

pasag

RTDAS
I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever. The fact that he and Viv found "fame" whilst living together, are best friends and Viv is Godfather to his children is morely likely what makes him slightly biased.
It does make sense though - if you had an inflated sense of your own ability, if anyone ever got the better of you, you either make excuses or praise the opponent endlessly. The explanation of them being close friends is also quite feasible and was one I read in Monday's paper.

"BOTHAM would say that, of course. He and Richards played together at Somerset as teenagers and are lifelong mates. The Master Blaster beat him to knighthood by eight years, but they shared a drink (and most likely a fat cigar) recently to celebrate. "Viv came up to the house after it had been announced and we had a little party. He made an impromptu speech, which isn't really like him, but he said we should think back to when we started at Somerset, living in a condemned house next to the ground with no running water."

http://www.theage.com.au/news/sport/beer-oclock/2007/12/30/1198949675144.html?page=2

neville cardus

International Debutant
I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever.
I completely disagree. There is self-preservation in much that Botham does. He and Hughes were at a restaurant once when Beefy asked the waiter if they had any of that "Dolcette" cheese.

Hughes: "It's actually called 'Dolcelatte'."

Botham: "Well, how many Test wickets have you taken?"

stumpski

International Captain
It's a wonder he didn't come out with that every time he got a question wrong on 'A Question of Sport.'

Often got amusingly annoyed at losing to Bill Beaumont though.

pasag

RTDAS
Just looking through Perry's The Don for some CW work and the dedication for the book reads:

To my son Anton who on seeing his first one-day international game at the age of seven told me he would like to play for Australia - when he reached eleven. I told him this was a modest ambition. WG Grace had played first-class cricket at nine.

Hmm.

neville cardus

International Debutant
Just looking through Perry's The Don for some CW work and the dedication for the book reads:
To my son Anton who on seeing his first one-day international game at the age of seven told me he would like to play for Australia - when he reached eleven. I told him this was a modest ambition. WG Grace had played first-class cricket at nine.
Hmm.
Hmm indeed. Strange bloke, Mr Perry. W.G. was almost double the given age when he made his first-class debut.

archie mac

International Coach

Hmm.
He simply did/does not know his stuff

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
He simply did/does not know his stuff
To be honest, that is one of Perry's major faults. The number of basic errors that he makes is very poor. The second fault, and the more serious one, is that I have come to suspect he simply makes up stuff to suit himself.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would recommend Gordon Greenidge's autobiography written in 1980.

A few things he said about the Windies 1975/76 tour of Australia:
He states that there is "no such thing as a good Australian umpire."
Absolutely slates Roy Fredericks and Clive Lloyd for not helping him when he was having a torrid time in the first couple of Tests.
He admitted he deserved to be left out of the side but slams the selection committee for promoting Bernard Julien to open.
He gives a fairly fruity opinion of Ian Chappell based on his actions when he was given not out after getting a thick edge to Michael Holding..........and much much more as they say.
He is also openly critical of the selectors who picked Ron Headley ahead of him for the 1973 Tour of England.

In fact he doesn't hold back on anything, and bear in mind that this book was written when he was still a young man and that many of the people he slated were still very much involved in West Indian cricket.
I have that one, but have not read it as yet, sounds a good read, will have to put it up my list :)
Nearly two years later Archie, have you read it yet?:)