• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Matt79

Global Moderator
Funny, I just referred to The Best of The Best in the "should batsmen get extra rewards" thread, and was thinking its easily one of the most interesting books, cricket or otherwise, I've ever read. I think it might be my best all time lucky find (I had no idea what it was when I found it in a second hand bookstore, just bought it because it was an old ABC cricket book).

archie mac

International Coach
Funny, I just referred to The Best of The Best in the "should batsmen get extra rewards" thread, and was thinking its easily one of the most interesting books, cricket or otherwise, I've ever read. I think it might be my best all time lucky find (I had no idea what it was when I found it in a second hand bookstore, just bought it because it was an old ABC cricket book).
Yes a very good read, I remember where he said where are all of the 4 hundred hitters gone? I wonder if the same thing applies to cricket?

Dave Gregory

School Boy/Girl Captain
Hi all,

I'll post under the username of Dave Gregory - seems appropriate enough and 'Stuart' has already been taken. I'll continue to mainly post over at my usual haunt, however, I will have a wander through here as well.

Cheers,

Stuart

Engle

State Vice-Captain
From Best of the Best :
Viv Richards is an interesting case, falling outside the top 20 due to the number of runs he scored against statistically weak attacks.

Cant imagine this realistically, when he was chosen as Wisden's Top 5 of the last century and generally acknowledged amongst his peers and followers as the supreme striker of the sphere

pasag

RTDAS
Anyone read Botham's latest? Seems to have said Viv > Bradman, but that could be the media misrepresenting it though. Here's a quote from an interview though:

"Viv and I were great for each other, and I regard him as the best player who ever played cricket. Bradman got all the records, but I wonder if Bradman could have adjusted to 20-, 40-, 50-over cricket as well as Test matches? When you look at footage from the 1930s, there's no science about the field placings. They were the same when the batsman arrived at the crease as they were when he'd scored 300. Obviously Bradman was an exceptional talent, but I find it hard to comprehend anyone ever being better than Viv."

http://sport.independent.co.uk/cricket/article3289163.ece

archie mac

International Coach
Anyone read Botham's latest? Seems to have said Viv > Bradman, but that could be the media misrepresenting it though. Here's a quote from an interview though:

"Viv and I were great for each other, and I regard him as the best player who ever played cricket. Bradman got all the records, but I wonder if Bradman could have adjusted to 20-, 40-, 50-over cricket as well as Test matches? When you look at footage from the 1930s, there's no science about the field placings. They were the same when the batsman arrived at the crease as they were when he'd scored 300. Obviously Bradman was an exceptional talent, but I find it hard to comprehend anyone ever being better than Viv."

Never said that, in fact if i remember correctly he wrote Bradman is the greatest ever:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
I got "Inside Story" by Gideon Haigh and David Frith for Xmas - finally got a chance to sit down and have a quick flick through it today - looks very good. And no Sean - if its taken me a week to get a chance to sit down and begin to read it, I don't have time to do a review mate... :)

archie mac

International Coach
I got "Inside Story" by Gideon Haigh and David Frith for Xmas - finally got a chance to sit down and have a quick flick through it today - looks very good. And no Sean - if its taken me a week to get a chance to sit down and begin to read it, I don't have time to do a review mate... :)
Your in luck mate, I have already written a review:laugh:

In fact we have two:cool:

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member

We've discussed Botham's pile of self congratulatory, factually incorrect pile of pointless dross a few pages back. Botham says in the Legends of Cricket television series that Richards is the best player he's ever seen and he finds it hard to believe anyone could be better.

neville cardus

International Debutant
We've discussed Botham's pile of self congratulatory, factually incorrect pile of pointless dross a few pages back. Botham says in the Legends of Cricket television series that Richards is the best player he's ever seen and he finds it hard to believe anyone could be better.
By far the best take that I have read on it is this: "He is guilty of inflating the worth of Viv Richards because Richards caned Botham himself. It makes Botham feel better. It heightens his ego to think 'this guy Richards absolutely flogged me, he made me look second rate, therefore Viv Richards must have been the best batsman of all time'.

"It is an ego-boosting and preservation exercise on the part of Botham. It has nothing to do with whether Viv Richards was actually as good as Botham says. It is all about preserving Botham's opinion of Botham."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.cricket/msg/f89836f80dc4efba

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
By far the best take that I have read on it is this: "He is guilty of inflating the worth of Viv Richards because Richards caned Botham himself. It makes Botham feel better. It heightens his ego to think 'this guy Richards absolutely flogged me, he made me look second rate, therefore Viv Richards must have been the best batsman of all time'.

"It is an ego-boosting and preservation exercise on the part of Botham. It has nothing to do with whether Viv Richards was actually as good as Botham says. It is all about preserving Botham's opinion of Botham."

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.cricket/msg/f89836f80dc4efba
I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever. The fact that he and Viv found "fame" whilst living together, are best friends and Viv is Godfather to his children is morely likely what makes him slightly biased.

archie mac

International Coach
I don't think that has any credibility whatsoever. The fact that he and Viv found "fame" whilst living together, are best friends and Viv is Godfather to his children is morely likely what makes him slightly biased.
And the fact that Viv was a bloody good batsman!