Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 495 of 2032
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #481
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ninety View Post
    I found On Top Down Under 1st revised Edition(1976)the other day for $AUS1.Yay. I can also thoroughly recommend "The Cradle Days of Australian Cricket", An anthology of the writings of 'Felix' (T.P.Horan) published in1989. Not only a great read but also photos of some of the best beards ever seen on a cricket pitch.
    The picture of W.G. on-driving in the nets is easily my favourite of him.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

  2. #482
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Archie, you're making a very annoying habit of beating me to these insightful comments. Stop it.
    Quoting (should that have an E?) your own posts

    Dire (OT-CW speak )
    You know it makes sense.

  3. #483
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    Went back to finish Beyond a Boundary after stopping half way. It's strange, the prose is excellent and the picture he paints is second to none but I have a problem with it that I can't quite put my hand on. It's similar to Dylan's autobio, excellent writing but it's all over the place. Dunno.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

  4. #484
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Went back to finish Beyond a Boundary after stopping half way. It's strange, the prose is excellent and the picture he paints is second to none but I have a problem with it that I can't quite put my hand on. It's similar to Dylan's autobio, excellent writing but it's all over the place. Dunno.
    I once read a review "it would have been twice the read if half the size"


  5. #485
    SJS
    SJS is offline
    Hall of Fame Member SJS's Avatar
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Mumbai India
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I once read a review "it would have been twice the read if half the size"
    Thats true actually.

  6. #486
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Quoting (should that have an E?) your own posts
    They're a lot more quote-worthy than most of the muck hurled about here.

    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Dire (OT-CW speak )
    Come again?

  7. #487
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    They're a lot more quote-worthy than most of the muck hurled about here.



    Come again?
    OT= off topic
    CW=cricket web
    Dire= not sure, but I think it means you are going insane

  8. #488
    RTDAS pasag's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Looking for milksteak
    Posts
    31,678
    I take back what I said about Beyond a Boundary, the second half of the book is brilliant and really picks up with the portaits he paints of Constantine, Headley and Grace, which are magnificent. The chapter of cricket being art is one of the finest things about the sport I've ever seen written. Great book and I'd urge anyone who hasn't read it to go out and get a copy.

  9. #489
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Yeah, I had the wobbles about halfway through, then devoured the second half too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  10. #490
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,071
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Have just reviewed Out of My Comfort Zone by Steve Waugh
    click here

    Would be great if others could review some cricket books, new or old
    Just finished Out of My Comfort Zone.

    I should state to begin with that I dont really read autobiographies and those I do tend not to be of modern athletes.

    It was certainly interesting but I was ultimately disappointed. So much of what was discussed could be gleened (sp?) from scoresheets.

    A good autobiography gets behind the profession and to the man beneath and lets us into a world we would otherwise not have been privy.

    We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.

    I want to know more about the man and his relationships. Not enough for my liking on his formative years and what moulded him into the person he is.

    There are many parts that are quite dry and do not delve into the working of himself and those around him.

    One area I did really enjoy was his thoughts on the game and how it should be played in order to be successful. Couldnt help but agree with so much that he said and he gave insight into what it takes to be a good player and part of a top team.

    To learn about Waugh the cricketer this is a great book but to learn more about Waugh the man then it is lacking
    Last edited by Goughy; 05-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  11. #491
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I take back what I said about Beyond a Boundary, the second half of the book is brilliant and really picks up with the portaits he paints of Constantine, Headley and Grace, which are magnificent. The chapter of cricket being art is one of the finest things about the sport I've ever seen written. Great book and I'd urge anyone who hasn't read it to go out and get a copy.
    That's a massive relief to me: I was worried that I might be an ill-read infidel with the literary maturity of a dyslexic gomeril.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 05-10-2007 at 04:24 PM.

  12. #492
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Just finished Out of My Comfort Zone.

    I should state to begin with that I dont really read autobiographies and those I do tend not to be of modern athletes.

    It was certainly interesting but I was ultimately disappointed. So much of what was discussed could be gleened (sp?) from scoresheets.

    A good autobiography gets behind the profession and to the man beneath and lets us into a world we would otherwise not have been privy.

    We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.

    I want to know more about the man and his relationships. Not enough for my liking on his formative years and what moulded him into the person he is.

    There are many parts that are quite dry and do not delve into the working of himself and those around him.

    One area I did really enjoy was his thoughts on the game and how it should be played in order to be successful. Couldnt help but agree with so much that he said and he gave insight into what it takes to be a good player and part of a top team.

    To learn about Waugh the cricketer this is a great book but to learn more about Waugh the man then it is lacking
    Agree with that, but how many pages would the book have been?

  13. #493
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Just finished Out of My Comfort Zone.

    I should state to begin with that I dont really read autobiographies and those I do tend not to be of modern athletes.

    It was certainly interesting but I was ultimately disappointed. So much of what was discussed could be gleened (sp?) from scoresheets.

    A good autobiography gets behind the profession and to the man beneath and lets us into a world we would otherwise not have been privy.

    We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.

    I want to know more about the man and his relationships. Not enough for my liking on his formative years and what moulded him into the person he is.

    There are many parts that are quite dry and do not delve into the working of himself and those around him.

    One area I did really enjoy was his thoughts on the game and how it should be played in order to be successful. Couldnt help but agree with so much that he said and he gave insight into what it takes to be a good player and part of a top team.

    To learn about Waugh the cricketer this is a great book but to learn more about Waugh the man then it is lacking
    Its interesting how vigorously Waugh has resisted the efforts of other biographers trying to do just that as well...

  14. #494
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,724
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig

    BTW Archie, there was/is a cricket book called "Famous Cricketing Families" (or something similar), have you read it (probably a stupid question )?
    I do have it but I am yet to read it In fact I have a few of that authors books, always end up in the cheap bin for a couple of dollars.

  15. #495
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.
    I quite enjoyed the insecure uncertainty to which he spasmodically confesses. Actually, I came away from the book with a refreshingly human picture of Tugga in my mind: he isn't, apparently, the insufferable hard-arse that he's commonly made out to be.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •