Page 33 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ninety View Post
    I found On Top Down Under 1st revised Edition(1976)the other day for $AUS1.Yay. I can also thoroughly recommend "The Cradle Days of Australian Cricket", An anthology of the writings of 'Felix' (T.P.Horan) published in1989. Not only a great read but also photos of some of the best beards ever seen on a cricket pitch.
    The picture of W.G. on-driving in the nets is easily my favourite of him.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Archie, you're making a very annoying habit of beating me to these insightful comments. Stop it.
    Quoting (should that have an E?) your own posts

Dire (OT-CW speak )
    You know it makes sense.

Went back to finish Beyond a Boundary after stopping half way. It's strange, the prose is excellent and the picture he paints is second to none but I have a problem with it that I can't quite put my hand on. It's similar to Dylan's autobio, excellent writing but it's all over the place. Dunno.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    Went back to finish Beyond a Boundary after stopping half way. It's strange, the prose is excellent and the picture he paints is second to none but I have a problem with it that I can't quite put my hand on. It's similar to Dylan's autobio, excellent writing but it's all over the place. Dunno.
    I once read a review "it would have been twice the read if half the size"

SJS
    Virus 2 Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I once read a review "it would have been twice the read if half the size"
    Thats true actually.

Quoting (should that have an E?) your own posts
    They're a lot more quote-worthy than most of the muck hurled about here.

Dire (OT-CW speak )
    Come again?

Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    They're a lot more quote-worthy than most of the muck hurled about here.

Come again?
    OT= off topic
    CW=cricket web
    Dire= not sure, but I think it means you are going insane

I take back what I said about Beyond a Boundary, the second half of the book is brilliant and really picks up with the portaits he paints of Constantine, Headley and Grace, which are magnificent. The chapter of cricket being art is one of the finest things about the sport I've ever seen written. Great book and I'd urge anyone who hasn't read it to go out and get a copy.

Yeah, I had the wobbles about halfway through, then devoured the second half too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Have just reviewed Out of My Comfort Zone by Steve Waugh
    click here

Would be great if others could review some cricket books, new or old
    Just finished Out of My Comfort Zone.

I should state to begin with that I dont really read autobiographies and those I do tend not to be of modern athletes.

It was certainly interesting but I was ultimately disappointed. So much of what was discussed could be gleened (sp?) from scoresheets.

A good autobiography gets behind the profession and to the man beneath and lets us into a world we would otherwise not have been privy.

We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.

I want to know more about the man and his relationships. Not enough for my liking on his formative years and what moulded him into the person he is.

There are many parts that are quite dry and do not delve into the working of himself and those around him.

One area I did really enjoy was his thoughts on the game and how it should be played in order to be successful. Couldnt help but agree with so much that he said and he gave insight into what it takes to be a good player and part of a top team.

To learn about Waugh the cricketer this is a great book but to learn more about Waugh the man then it is lacking
    Last edited by Goughy; 05-10-2007 at 03:30 PM.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Quote Originally Posted by pasag View Post
    I take back what I said about Beyond a Boundary, the second half of the book is brilliant and really picks up with the portaits he paints of Constantine, Headley and Grace, which are magnificent. The chapter of cricket being art is one of the finest things about the sport I've ever seen written. Great book and I'd urge anyone who hasn't read it to go out and get a copy.
    That's a massive relief to me: I was worried that I might be an ill-read infidel with the literary maturity of a dyslexic gomeril.
    Last edited by neville cardus; 05-10-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

I should state to begin with that I dont really read autobiographies and those I do tend not to be of modern athletes.

It was certainly interesting but I was ultimately disappointed. So much of what was discussed could be gleened (sp?) from scoresheets.

A good autobiography gets behind the profession and to the man beneath and lets us into a world we would otherwise not have been privy.

We find out a lot about Waugh the cricketer but there is a lot unsaid about him as a person.

I want to know more about the man and his relationships. Not enough for my liking on his formative years and what moulded him into the person he is.

There are many parts that are quite dry and do not delve into the working of himself and those around him.

One area I did really enjoy was his thoughts on the game and how it should be played in order to be successful. Couldnt help but agree with so much that he said and he gave insight into what it takes to be a good player and part of a top team.

To learn about Waugh the cricketer this is a great book but to learn more about Waugh the man then it is lacking
    Agree with that, but how many pages would the book have been?

Its interesting how vigorously Waugh has resisted the efforts of other biographers trying to do just that as well...

Quote Originally Posted by Craig

BTW Archie, there was/is a cricket book called "Famous Cricketing Families" (or something similar), have you read it (probably a stupid question )?
    I do have it but I am yet to read it In fact I have a few of that authors books, always end up in the cheap bin for a couple of dollars.

I quite enjoyed the insecure uncertainty to which he spasmodically confesses. Actually, I came away from the book with a refreshingly human picture of Tugga in my mind: he isn't, apparently, the insufferable hard-arse that he's commonly made out to be.

Thread Information