• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
The new Ian Botham Autobiography Head On
Ian Chappell has called this the greatest work of fiction since......other great works of fiction. This is mainly due to Botham claiming to have punched his lights out in 1977. You do have to question Botham's memory on some instances, for example the famous running out of Derek Randall by Geoff Boycott in 1977. Botham describes it as Boycott hitting the ball straight to a fielder in the covers when in fact he played it back down the wicket slightly to the right of the bowler Jeff Thomson.

archie mac

International Coach
Ian Chappell has called this the greatest work of fiction since......other great works of fiction. This is mainly due to Botham claiming to have punched his lights out in 1977. You do have to question Botham's memory on some instances, for example the famous running out of Derek Randall by Geoff Boycott in 1977. Botham describes it as Boycott hitting the ball straight to a fielder in the covers when in fact he played it back down the wicket slightly to the right of the bowler Jeff Thomson.
The story Botham tells of Ian Chappell is the same (bar a few details) in the 1984 bio and this latest effort. I was hoping he would give some details of their relationship when they both worked as commentators for channel nine, but alas he makes no mention of it at all in his latest book.

I think Both needs a good editor for his next effort someone who knows their cricket8-)

Do you have a link for the Chappelli comments? I would love to read them:)

archie mac

International Coach
He (Steen) managed to call Frith and CMJ racists (not to mention the entire Aust population), in the only book of his I have read (bio of Desi Haynes), with not even a half decent reason:@

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Nathan Astle's book comes out this coming week and early next year supposedly Daniel Vettori is releasing a book. Astle's book should be an interesting read especially regarding those last couple of years in the team leading to his retirement

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has anyone read or is currently reading Haigh & Frith's combined effort on the Australian cricket board? My two favourite cricket writers, so will be looking it up myself I suspect.

Cricinfo link.

pasag

RTDAS
Yeah we were discussing it a few pages back, Archie said he had it on order. Will go out and get it once exams are over, looking forward to Archie's review as well as well :)

neville cardus

International Debutant
Nathan Astle's book comes out this coming week and early next year supposedly Daniel Vettori is releasing a book. Astle's book should be an interesting read especially regarding those last couple of years in the team leading to his retirement
I'd expect any offering from the studious Vettori to make for some pretty good reading, too.

neville cardus

International Debutant
He (Steen) managed to call Frith and CMJ racists (not to mention the entire Aust population), in the only book of his I have read (bio of Desi Haynes), with not even a half decent reason:@
Well now, that won't do. :kwasny: I'm officially boycotting Steen's work henceforth. :thumbdown