Page 27 of 138 FirstFirst ... 1725262728293777127 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 2060
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

  1. #391
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    I've just bought Shane Warne: My Complete Illustrated Career, a pretty good one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  2. #392
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,799
    Does he tell of how his mother brought him up on bratwurst, sauerkraut and wiener schnitzel?

  3. #393
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Does he tell of how his mother brought him up on bratwurst, sauerkraut and wiener schnitzel?
    That's Austrian IIRC.

  4. #394
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Clutha Valley, New Zealand
    Posts
    21,816
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixFire View Post
    That's Austrian IIRC.
    Whatever it is, it's good eating.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.


  5. #395
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988
    Yeah I had a sandwich with it in on Holiday, very nice.

  6. #396
    Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Medway valley
    Posts
    5,799
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    So email me at james.nixon @ cricketweb.net through that email address
    Just e-mailed it to Archie in fact, hope it's OK.

  7. #397
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    Got a nice find today in a 2nd hand store - a 1924 print of "Cricket - Old and New" by A.C. MacLaren.

    What makes it even nicer is that according to the stamp inside the front page, it was previously the property of the Melbourne Cricket Club, and somebody has taken the time, in beautiful copperplate hand writing to write an index of references to players on one of the blank pages on the back.

    The frontispiece is the same pic of Archie Mac as Haigh used on the front cover of "Silent Revolutions", and the subtitle is "A Straight Talk to Young Players"! The downside is that its definitely seen better days, and is now fragile, although not quite falling to pieces...
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  8. #398
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Got a nice find today in a 2nd hand store - a 1924 print of "Cricket - Old and New" by A.C. MacLaren.

    What makes it even nicer is that according to the stamp inside the front page, it was previously the property of the Melbourne Cricket Club, and somebody has taken the time, in beautiful copperplate hand writing to write an index of references to players on one of the blank pages on the back.

    The frontispiece is the same pic of Archie Mac as Haigh used on the front cover of "Silent Revolutions", and the subtitle is "A Straight Talk to Young Players"! The downside is that its definitely seen better days, and is now fragile, although not quite falling to pieces...
    An absolute gem, certainly. I take it that it's Archie's take on cricket history?
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

  9. #399
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    I think so - I've not sat down and had a read yet beyond a couple of quick flicks through.

  10. #400
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    An absolute gem, certainly. I take it that it's Archie's take on cricket history?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Got a nice find today in a 2nd hand store - a 1924 print of "Cricket - Old and New" by A.C. MacLaren.

    What makes it even nicer is that according to the stamp inside the front page, it was previously the property of the Melbourne Cricket Club, and somebody has taken the time, in beautiful copperplate hand writing to write an index of references to players on one of the blank pages on the back.

    The frontispiece is the same pic of Archie Mac as Haigh used on the front cover of "Silent Revolutions", and the subtitle is "A Straight Talk to Young Players"! The downside is that its definitely seen better days, and is now fragile, although not quite falling to pieces...
    Yes I have read that, he was not happy with the way young players were using their pads instead of their bats. It is very short with a huge font, I quite enjoyed it. Very surprised you found a copy in a 2nd hand book shop, well done
    You know it makes sense.

  11. #401
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    I think so - I've not sat down and had a read yet beyond a couple of quick flicks through.
    Please do and lemme know. I'm researching a part of cricket history on which Archie might have an original take.

  12. #402
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Please do and lemme know. I'm researching a part of cricket history on which Archie might have an original take.
    I had to read that a couple of times

  13. #403
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,727
    I thought I would share what I think might just be the greatest misprint in a cricket book

    This comes from Don Bradman's My Cricketing Life published in 1938

    "Larwood refused to give in, and I can still see him in my mind's eye glinding towards the stumps.... his silk skirt fluttering ever so slightly in the light cross breeze"


    I must have missed it when I read the book, it was pointed out by Crciket book dealer Christopher Saunders

  14. #404
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426
    He was "glinding" was he?

    I never realised that when Jardine called for leg-theory bowling, that meant bowling in mini-skirts...

  15. #405
    International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I thought I would share what I think might just be the greatest misprint in a cricket book

    This comes from Don Bradman's My Cricketing Life published in 1938

    "Larwood refused to give in, and I can still see him in my mind's eye glinding towards the stumps.... his silk skirt fluttering ever so slightly in the light cross breeze"

    I must have missed it when I read the book, it was pointed out by Crciket book dealer Christopher Saunders
    A really lovely bloke, is Mr Saunders. I got Lilley's Twenty-Four Years of Cricket from him while on tour in England last year. I hear now that he's taken custody of Rosenwater's considerable collection.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Next Indian Coach
    By shoot_me in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 23-05-2007, 02:37 AM
  2. Cricket and Baseball
    By Stefano in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 26-03-2007, 07:05 AM
  3. Cricket v/s Baseball
    By chekmeout in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: 26-07-2005, 04:56 PM
  4. Windies cricket situation
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 14-05-2005, 10:43 PM
  5. The Twenty20 Cup in England
    By PY in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 126
    Last Post: 22-07-2003, 03:26 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •