• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I thought you had two?:laugh:
Ha ha!

I don't know what happenned to the second copy. I won't be wracking my brains too much trying to work out where it went.

If other CW readers are looking to enlarge their cricket book collection and want some names of quality cricket books to buy - Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman (publsihed in 1991) is not for you. Unless of course you are on a budget and then I think you might pick one up for less than a dollar!

I can give you a bit of a precis in case you are nterested - A fly on the wall (more like a fly in the ointment) account from the perspective of hugely unattractive and untalented 1980's/90's Aussie cricketer Greg Matthews and his journalist friend Roland Fishman who lifts the lid on the bedroom and otherwise antics of the 1991 Australian cricket team on tour in the West Indies.

Here are a couple of paragraphs to give you the feel (no pun intended) of the quality and subject matter of this book. I managed to find some of this choice work from a net search.

"And then there are the women, who throw themselves at the players. The Australians were more overtly susceptiable to this than the West Indians. As the Queensland insurance salesman said: “If you want to get on to the women, you don’t go where the cricketers go.”

Few grown boys get to live out their fantasies like a cricketer on tour can, if he so chooses. One night in Barbados, a week before the end of the tour, a player estimated that a team-mate had had *** with 30 women during the tour. I was amazed by this statistic, and even more amazed that the player was amazed that I was amazed. He said having ‘thempties’, the players’ word for making love, using the term loosely, was just part of touring. He told me that during one tour he’d had four thempties in one night. “What do you expect them to do?” said the insurance salesman. “The bloody women just throw themselves at them.”

Says Greg Matthews after the book was published...

“Fishman lied to me. He bludged my money, my clothes, my bed and he told me he was writing a story about cricket in the Caribbean and the way of life. It was anything but that. He deceived me to the max. I haven’t seen him since and next time I see him I’ll be spitting in his face.

I suppose that means that there won't be a sequal! Can't say I'm heartbroken.

archie mac

International Coach
Ha ha!

I don't know what happenned to the second copy. I won't be wracking my brains too much trying to work out where it went.

If other CW readers are looking to enlarge their cricket book collection and want some names of quality cricket books to buy - Calypso Cricket by Roland Fishman (publsihed in 1991) is not for you. Unless of course you are on a budget and then I think you might pick one up for less than a dollar!

I can give you a bit of a precis in case you are nterested - A fly on the wall (more like a fly in the ointment) account from the perspective of hugely unattractive and untalented 1980's/90's Aussie cricketer Greg Matthews and his journalist friend Roland Fishman who lifts the lid on the bedroom and otherwise antics of the 1991 Australian cricket team on tour in the West Indies.

Here are a couple of paragraphs to give you the feel (no pun intended) of the quality and subject matter of this book. I managed to find some of this choice work from a net search.

"And then there are the women, who throw themselves at the players. The Australians were more overtly susceptiable to this than the West Indians. As the Queensland insurance salesman said: “If you want to get on to the women, you don’t go where the cricketers go.”

Few grown boys get to live out their fantasies like a cricketer on tour can, if he so chooses. One night in Barbados, a week before the end of the tour, a player estimated that a team-mate had had *** with 30 women during the tour. I was amazed by this statistic, and even more amazed that the player was amazed that I was amazed. He said having ‘thempties’, the players’ word for making love, using the term loosely, was just part of touring. He told me that during one tour he’d had four thempties in one night. “What do you expect them to do?” said the insurance salesman. “The bloody women just throw themselves at them.”

Says Greg Matthews after the book was published...

“Fishman lied to me. He bludged my money, my clothes, my bed and he told me he was writing a story about cricket in the Caribbean and the way of life. It was anything but that. He deceived me to the max. I haven’t seen him since and next time I see him I’ll be spitting in his face.

I suppose that means that there won't be a sequal! Can't say I'm heartbroken.
I don't know what was wrong with that? Quite enjoyable:ph34r:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
I don't know what was wrong with that? Quite enjoyable:ph34r:
Yeah right - I'd prefer to read Roland Fishman over Gideon Haigh any day:wacko:

Very commendable behavour on Fishman's part that he bludged money, wore Matthews clothes (unless he wore Armani suits) and then slept in his bed (don't think we should go there) and then wrote a really horrible tell all book.

Last edited:

archie mac

International Coach
Yeah right - I'd prefer to read Roland Fishman over Gideon Haigh any day:wacko:

Very commendable behavour on Fishman's part that he bludged money, wore Matthews clothes (unless he wore Armani suits) and then slept in his bed (don't think we should go there) and then wrote a really horrible tell all book.
That was not nice, but does not mean the book was crap:) I more enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff, not the bit you quoted but things like Jones telling him our he should set out the book, and Peter Taylor 'off for yet another early night':)

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
That was not nice, but does not mean the book was crap:) I more enjoyed the behind the scenes stuff, not the bit you quoted but things like Jones telling him our he should set out the book, and Peter Taylor 'off for yet another early night':)
OK - so quote a couple of paras of the more interesting stuff. Perhaps I only remembered the sleazy bits.

archie mac

International Coach
We are all waiting with bated breath for another instalment of this literary masterpiece!
Okay, on GM

He is extrememly loyal. After our book was published, greg was interviewed by the formner ABC radio journalist, Debbie Spillane. She thought I was a lousy journalist. I had failed to quote her in a story I wrote about women's relationships to Rugby League in Sydney, and to AFL in Melbourne. She asked Greg how he could possibily have had anything to do with me.

"I stand by everything Roland wrote" Greg said.

On Viv (:laugh: ) Okay this is crap

The only time he did not look cool was when he developed diarrhoea on the third of the Guyana Test. It was just before tea and Richards figured he could hold on. But during the last over of the day he was hit by a ball and relaxed his muscles a fraction. A few balls later he ran off the field very quickly. I read in the paper the following morning that Richards refused to discuss what had been destressing him.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Okay, on GM

He is extrememly loyal. After our book was published, greg was interviewed by the formner ABC radio journalist, Debbie Spillane. She thought I was a lousy journalist. I had failed to quote her in a story I wrote about women's relationships to Rugby League in Sydney, and to AFL in Melbourne. She asked Greg how he could possibily have had anything to do with me.

"I stand by everything Roland wrote" Greg said.

On Viv (:laugh: ) Okay this is crap

The only time he did not look cool was when he developed diarrhoea on the third of the Guyana Test. It was just before tea and Richards figured he could hold on. But during the last over of the day he was hit by a ball and relaxed his muscles a fraction. A few balls later he ran off the field very quickly. I read in the paper the following morning that Richards refused to discuss what had been destressing him.
I want some of what you consider 'quality bits' from Calypso Cricket please Archie. :laugh: