Page 26 of 139 FirstFirst ... 1624252627283676126 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by armchairumpire View Post
    I've got Peter Sharpham's biography of Victor Trumper - have had it for years. Anyone read it?
    I also have it, but have not read it yet. I read his bio on the GG, there were heaps of mistakes, I found it very annoying after awhile
    You know it makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    I also have it, but have not read it yet. I read his bio on the GG, there were heaps of mistakes, I found it very annoying after awhile
    OK - sounds like another one to add to my review list.

Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    Innit called "Menace"?
    [/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    Lillee's book is titled Menace

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.
    He has more than one autobiography. Menace was, I believe written while he was still playing or soon after he finished up. "Lillee" was co-authored/ghosted by a different collaborator and was published in 2003. It includes stuff about his comeback to FC in the late 80s, the MRF pace foundation and his views on players up to the modern day including McGrath, Lee and Akhtar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army)
    Quote Originally Posted by neville cardus View Post
    The first such description of the man that I've come across.
    [/QUOTE]

I've heard previously that Dougie was a teetotaller and a somewhat reserved, not quite shy, country lad when he first arrived on the scene. To quote Ian Chappell, "he emerged from two years national service a thoroughly reformed character", ie. the Walters of legend.

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post
    Lillee's book is titled Menace

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.

What do you mean, asked some of the cricketers, he stays with you.
    Yeah, they replied. But he comes in late at night and leaves mid-day, so we never get to see him.
    That Walters anecdote made it into the later Lillee autobiog as well. I haven't read Menace, but I'm guessing quite a few of the stories have been recycled. Its the same bloke ghosting who did autobiogs with Viv Richards and Sobers several years after their initial autobiographical offerings (ie. after Hitting Across the Line, and Sober's books written while he was playing) - Bob Harris maybe - I could get up and check, but I'm too lazy.

Is the Simpson effort a first edition? If not he was forced to delete the chapter in which he suggests that Meckiff not only chucks but knows he does. I have not read that book for many years, but I remember (I think) he lists Boycott as one of the new exciting fast scoring batsman
    Its a reprint, so it doens't mention Meckiff. But he doesn't show any such qualms about sticking it to Charlie Griffith - I only got to the chapter about Griffith this morning on the train and the third line is along the lines of "after watching one ball from Griffith [as the batsman on strike for the first ball of the first test] I knew with absolute certainly - Charlie Griffith is a chucker." The West Indies, including Sobers in particular, cop quite a serve from Simmo.

Do you mean Mallett? Have not heard of Mailey writing a bio of Trumper

If it is the Mallett one it is a very good read
    I thought it was Mailey, but then I thought Mallet, and I probably did a double think on myself. I'll go and check (again, lazy) in a minute and let you know.

EDIT: apologies, it is Mallet - Aussie spinners, initial A.M. - its all too hard.
    Last edited by Matt79; 14-08-2007 at 05:55 AM.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Fast becoming my favourite thread, this one.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

The new John Major book, I here by dedicate this review to all biomechanics More Than a Game

penguins stopped play and fatty batter were tobooks that resolved around two people obssesed with cricket . i reccomend them
    ENGLAND CB SERIES CHAMPS FUTURE WORLD CUP CHAMPS(2011) AND IN 2009 THE ASHES HOLDERS

the official England 'patriotic cheerleader'

Proud supporter of the England national cricket, football and rugby teams and of TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR FOOTBALL CLUBS

Msn: jammay123@hotmail.co.uk

come on CW BLUE

Quote Originally Posted by jammay123 View Post
    penguins stopped play and fatty batter were tobooks that resolved around two people obssesed with cricket . i reccomend them
    We have a review of the former on the site, and would love a review of the latter (hint)

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Message for Archie Mac ... Archie, I'm ready to submit my review of the Barnes book, but I see it has to be done by e-mail. I can't send e-mails by Outlook Express, you have to enter the server name and I don't know what that is. Is there a pm system on here? If you send me a pm I can let you have it by way of reply.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Message for Archie Mac ... Archie, I'm ready to submit my review of the Barnes book, but I see it has to be done by e-mail. I can't send e-mails by Outlook Express, you have to enter the server name and I don't know what that is. Is there a pm system on here? If you send me a pm I can let you have it by way of reply.
    Not sure myself tbh, I will check with James and let you know

Do you have access to any email address you can send it from? If not, post it as a response on the forum and we'll take care of it. Cheers

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    Do you have access to any email address you can send it from? If not, post it as a response on the forum and we'll take care of it. Cheers

Yeah it's hadabex@yahoo.co.uk. No spamming now.

Yeah it's hadabex@yahoo.co.uk. No spamming now.
    So email me at james.nixon @ cricketweb.net through that email address

Thread Information