Page 25 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Cricket Books

One cricket book that is worth reading is Steve waugh out of my comfort zone

Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ScreaM View Post
    One cricket book that is worth reading is Steve waugh out of my comfort zone
    Doesn't anybody read my reviews
    You know it makes sense.

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by archie mac View Post
    Doesn't anybody read my reviews

Maybe you should have posted a link!

For future reference, by the way, what's the maximum number of stars?

Cricket Web Staff Member stumpski's Avatar
    Just snapped up another on ebay: 'Runs in the Memory' by Stephen Chalke, about 1950s county cricket (won't appeal to younger reader perhaps - they can keep their Freddie and KP autobiogs I reckon). Managed to foil a counter-bidder who put in his opening (and only) bid just 12 seconds before the expiry time. Don't you hate people who do that? Obviously timed so the other bidder doesn't have time to react. Fortunately I had clear blue water between his bid and my max so I got it for a fiver. Almost paid a dealer 16 for it last week.

Another title not, as yet, reviewed on here - but I'll see to SFB first.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpski View Post
    Maybe you should have posted a link!

For future reference, by the way, what's the maximum number of stars?
    5 stars is the most, I am yet to award one the highest mark. I have just reviewed the John Mayor effort, but still can't get the photo up yet. Just purchased a new printer so should have it up soon. But you can still have a look at the review.

Just snapped up another on ebay: 'Runs in the Memory' by Stephen Chalke, about 1950s county cricket (won't appeal to younger reader perhaps - they can keep their Freddie and KP autobiogs I reckon). Managed to foil a counter-bidder who put in his opening (and only) bid just 12 seconds before the expiry time. Don't you hate people who do that? Obviously timed so the other bidder doesn't have time to react. Fortunately I had clear blue water between his bid and my max so I got it for a fiver. Almost paid a dealer 16 for it last week.

Another title not, as yet, reviewed on here - but I'll see to SFB first.
    Good get, I have read that, it is a great book, he is one of my favourite writers, I have his bio of Tom Cartwright, will read it soon

And yes I hate when people swoop in at the last moment But have done it many times myself

Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same. Not bad, plenty of interesting material to work with, although the writing is by no means brilliant. One bit I liked was when he in his random-thoughts style chapter on the state of the modern game (in 2003) suggested that fast bowlers must be careful of what supplements they take as they could contain nandrelone.

Also reading Bob Simpson's "Captain's Story" on the train in the evenings. Interesting - jeez test cricket must have been a stodgy affair back in the day. Worth reading for his thoughts on Ian Chappell's future as an allrounder, his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army) and his glowing praise of Bob Barber's batting. Also interesting to read about his effort with Bill Lawry to take singles at every possible opportunity, and how thoroughly he felt this had stunned the English team. You can see even in this book written in the 1960s the basis for the Aussie teams approach to this over the last twenty years.

Gideon's "Silent Revolutions" is next, before "Trumper" by Mailey.

And no Archie, I'm afraid beyond the above, I don't have time to do a proper review of either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

Is Cam White, Is Good.

International 12th Man neville cardus's Avatar
    Just snapped up another on ebay: 'Runs in the Memory' by Stephen Chalke
    I enjoy him; Chalke's made some agreeably different and out-of-the-way (but always valuable) contributions to cricket history.
    Cheers,
    Rodney Ulyate

Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same.
    Innit called "Menace"?

his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army)
    The first such description of the man that I've come across.

Much as I love Haigh's work, I've been in a wholly depressed fame o'mind lately. I really must get my hands on Mailey again...[/QUOTE]

Anyone, by the way, ever read one of Harry East's ostensibly brilliant anecdotal works on Yorkshire cricket and cricketers?

First Class Debutant
    Lillee's book is titled Menace

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.

What do you mean, asked some of the cricketers, he stays with you.
    Yeah, they replied. But he comes in late at night and leaves mid-day, so we never get to see him.

Just finished "Lillee", which is, unsurprisingly, an autobiography of the same. Not bad, plenty of interesting material to work with, although the writing is by no means brilliant. One bit I liked was when he in his random-thoughts style chapter on the state of the modern game (in 2003) suggested that fast bowlers must be careful of what supplements they take as they could contain nandrelone.

Also reading Bob Simpson's "Captain's Story" on the train in the evenings. Interesting - jeez test cricket must have been a stodgy affair back in the day. Worth reading for his thoughts on Ian Chappell's future as an allrounder, his description of Doug Walters as a reserved, quiet young man (pre his reform by the Army) and his glowing praise of Bob Barber's batting. Also interesting to read about his effort with Bill Lawry to take singles at every possible opportunity, and how thoroughly he felt this had stunned the English team. You can see even in this book written in the 1960s the basis for the Aussie teams approach to this over the last twenty years.

And no Archie, I'm afraid beyond the above, I don't have time to do a proper review of either.
    Is the Simpson effort a first edition? If not he was forced to delete the chapter in which he suggests that Meckiff not only chucks but knows he does. I have not read that book for many years, but I remember (I think) he lists Boycott as one of the new exciting fast scoring batsman

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post

A funny piece there about the folks who put up Dougie Walters in their home. One day they came out to see Walters practise. When asked why they were there, they replied that they wanted to see what he looked like.

Yeah, they replied. But he comes in late at night and leaves mid-day, so we never get to see him.
    You have to love the Doug

Do you mean Mallett? Have not heard of Mailey writing a bio of Trumper

If it is the Mallett one it is a very good read

Quote Originally Posted by Engle View Post

Doug Walters - the last of the amateurs - made it look easy - his idea of a warm up was throwing a couple of darts at the dartboard with a cigy hanging out his mouth. How would he handle the fittness regimes of today?

I've got Peter Sharpham's biography of Victor Trumper - have had it for years. Anyone read it?

Thread Information