• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Matt79

Global Moderator
Is the Simpson effort a first edition? If not he was forced to delete the chapter in which he suggests that Meckiff not only chucks but knows he does. I have not read that book for many years, but I remember (I think) he lists Boycott as one of the new exciting fast scoring batsman
Its a reprint, so it doens't mention Meckiff. But he doesn't show any such qualms about sticking it to Charlie Griffith - I only got to the chapter about Griffith this morning on the train and the third line is along the lines of "after watching one ball from Griffith [as the batsman on strike for the first ball of the first test] I knew with absolute certainly - Charlie Griffith is a chucker." The West Indies, including Sobers in particular, cop quite a serve from Simmo.

Do you mean Mallett? Have not heard of Mailey writing a bio of Trumper:unsure:

If it is the Mallett one it is a very good read:)
:unsure: I thought it was Mailey, but then I thought Mallet, and I probably did a double think on myself. I'll go and check (again, lazy) in a minute and let you know. :)

EDIT: apologies, it is Mallet - Aussie spinners, initial A.M. - its all too hard.

Last edited:

jammay123

State 12th Man
penguins stopped play and fatty batter were tobooks that resolved around two people obssesed with cricket . i reccomend them

stumpski

International Captain
Message for Archie Mac ... Archie, I'm ready to submit my review of the Barnes book, but I see it has to be done by e-mail. I can't send e-mails by Outlook Express, you have to enter the server name and I don't know what that is. :confused: Is there a pm system on here? If you send me a pm I can let you have it by way of reply.

archie mac

International Coach
Message for Archie Mac ... Archie, I'm ready to submit my review of the Barnes book, but I see it has to be done by e-mail. I can't send e-mails by Outlook Express, you have to enter the server name and I don't know what that is. :confused: Is there a pm system on here? If you send me a pm I can let you have it by way of reply.
Not sure myself tbh, I will check with James and let you know:)

James

Cricket Web Owner
Do you have access to any email address you can send it from? If not, post it as a response on the forum and we'll take care of it. Cheers :)

Matt79

Global Moderator
Got a nice find today in a 2nd hand store - a 1924 print of "Cricket - Old and New" by A.C. MacLaren.

What makes it even nicer is that according to the stamp inside the front page, it was previously the property of the Melbourne Cricket Club, and somebody has taken the time, in beautiful copperplate hand writing to write an index of references to players on one of the blank pages on the back.

The frontispiece is the same pic of Archie Mac as Haigh used on the front cover of "Silent Revolutions", and the subtitle is "A Straight Talk to Young Players"! :) The downside is that its definitely seen better days, and is now fragile, although not quite falling to pieces...

neville cardus

International Debutant
Got a nice find today in a 2nd hand store - a 1924 print of "Cricket - Old and New" by A.C. MacLaren.

What makes it even nicer is that according to the stamp inside the front page, it was previously the property of the Melbourne Cricket Club, and somebody has taken the time, in beautiful copperplate hand writing to write an index of references to players on one of the blank pages on the back.

The frontispiece is the same pic of Archie Mac as Haigh used on the front cover of "Silent Revolutions", and the subtitle is "A Straight Talk to Young Players"! :) The downside is that its definitely seen better days, and is now fragile, although not quite falling to pieces...
An absolute gem, certainly. I take it that it's Archie's take on cricket history?

archie mac

International Coach
An absolute gem, certainly. I take it that it's Archie's take on cricket history?

Yes I have read that, he was not happy with the way young players were using their pads instead of their bats. It is very short with a huge font, I quite enjoyed it. Very surprised you found a copy in a 2nd hand book shop, well done:)